What is the Gophers best rivalry in the three big sports.

Otis

Reaction score
Just thought I'd see what the group thought, here are mine:

Football: Wisconsin followed closely by Iowa

Basketball: Iowa followed closely by Wisconsin

Hockey: UND. and it isn't even close

Agree with hockey and football. Basketball for me is Wisconsin and nobody comes close to second not even Iowa.

The hockey rivalry with Wisconsin is definitely close to the UND rivalry. I would argue it's bigger actually. People who think our hockey rivalry with UND is bigger than Wisconsin must have started watching college hockey about 15-20 years ago. In the 80's and through most of the 90's Wisconsin was absolutely our biggest rivalry, and it's getting back to that now with the Big Ten.

The hockey rivalry with Wisconsin is definitely close to the UND rivalry. I would argue it's bigger actually. People who think our hockey rivalry with UND is bigger than Wisconsin must have started watching college hockey about 15-20 years ago. In the 80's and through most of the 90's Wisconsin was absolutely our biggest rivalry, and it's getting back to that now with the Big Ten.

I'd agree with this.

I'd put Wisconsin first for basketball too. Definitely agree with hockey Gophers/Sioux rivalry can't be matched its right there with Duke/North Carolina basketball and Michigan/Ohio State football.

The correct answer to all is:

Wisconsin

I want to beat them in everything, even tiddly-winks.

Agree with football and hockey. I would still say Wisconsin for basketball.

Kind of wish we would try to cultivate a non-conference rivalry in basketball. There are a good amount of them out there. Wisconsin-Marquette, Illinois-Mizzou, Kentucky-Louisville, Florida-Florida State, Colorado-Colorado State, Gonzaga-Arizona, Maryland-Georgetown. Obviously we don't have an option for an in-state rival, but why not an annual game (or at least almost annual) against Iowa State?

Going back even further to throughout the 1970's. Not only did you have the intense competition between the two teams on ice, but Herb Brooks vs. Badger Bob Johnson was unmatched in college hockey.

Wisconsin for basketball especially when Bo was around. A bit different with Pitino and Gard. Pitino is a young coach and Gard doesn't look like the Grinch.

The football team doesn't really have one.

Wisconsin doesn't count since they dominate every game. You can't have a rivalry when you lose every time. Last time they beat the Badgers was in 2003

Wisconsin doesn't count since they dominate every game. You can't have a rivalry when you lose every time. Last time they beat the Badgers was in 2003

For football when I was growing up, Iowa was the rivalry. Wisconsin was an afterthought.

Football doesn't have one?? Even if you don't count Wisconsin(which I'm sorry that's just stupid), Iowa is a big rival of ours not sure how you can argue otherwise.

The correct answer is Wisconsin in all three sports but UND was the hockey team's biggest rival until they changed conferences.

Football doesn't have one?? Even if you don't count Wisconsin(which I'm sorry that's just stupid), Iowa is a big rival of ours not sure how you can argue otherwise.

The correct answer is Wisconsin in all three sports but UND was the hockey team's biggest rival until they changed conferences.

That's your opinion.

I don't consider it a rivalry when we've only won 2 games since 1995 against them.

That's 2 wins in 2 decades.

That's your opinion.

I don't consider it a rivalry when we've only won 2 games since 1995 against them.

That's 2 wins in 2 decades.

It's not just about wins and losses. There's a reason the two teams play the last week of every season during RIVALRY WEEK across the country. There's a reason Athlon recently ranked it in the top 25 of college footballs best rivalrys in the history of the sport.

https://www.google.com/amp/athlonsp...5-rivalries-college-football-history-2015?amp

UW in Hockey. UW feels like their rival in basketball for 15 years, a generation would be MSU. FOOTBALL, sure does not feel like a rivalry. Fans at UW are paying a ton more money buying tickets for the MSU game in hoops and nearly everyone but Minnesota in football. Winning cures all of it. Beat UW, win the conference. do it frequently and you will have a rivalry.

I'd say Michigan in football, Wisconsin in basketball, and Michigan in Hockey.

And I'm a big history buff, so... I try to look at the big picture vs the short term. Otherwise Iowa and/or Wisc in fb are also right up there, and Iowa and Indy and OSU in cbb, and UND and Wisc in hockey.

Out of conference rivals, I would say Washington in football, although its been a long time since they've really played, and then Marquette in cbb, although again, its been a long time since they've played, and then Boston College and to a lesser extent, Boston Univ in hockey.

Top Bottom