Ages of Hockey Players

#2Gopher

Reaction score
I saw in the St. Paul Pioneer Press a little story about Vince Pedrie, a 23 year old sophomore defenseman from Rochester. He played two years of high school hockey at Apple Valley and then four years in the United States Hockey League before coming to Penn State.

Not sure when his birthday is. But he'll be either 25 or 26 years old when he is a senior. Is this really right and I wonder how many other 25 year old players are playing against 18 year old freshman in college.

I would think that the clock needs to start ticking at your senior class in high school as to admissions in college if you want to play college hockey.

I saw in the St. Paul Pioneer Press a little story about Vince Pedrie, a 23 year old sophomore defenseman from Rochester. He played two years of high school hockey at Apple Valley and then four years in the United States Hockey League before coming to Penn State.

Not sure when his birthday is. But he'll be either 25 or 26 years old when he is a senior. Is this really right and I wonder how many other 25 year old players are playing against 18 year old freshman in college.

I would think that the clock needs to start ticking at your senior class in high school as to admissions in college if you want to play college hockey.

"There is an age limit for NCAA Division I and II sports. The NCAA allows a one year grace period after high school graduation for DI and II schools. One year after your high school class graduates is when your eligibility will start to be affected in all sports except for hockey, skiing and tennis. The eligibility clock does not start for hockey players and skiers until after their 21st birthday. Tennis players start losing eligibility 6 months after they graduate high school."
The NCAA gives you 5 years to complete 4 seasons of eligibility. Connor Reilly is in his 4th year of eligibility. He missed a whole season due to injury. He turned 25 last October.
It seems pretty bizarre that tennis players start losing eligibility 6 months after high school and hockey players and skiers clock doesn't start running until age 21! Lucia and some Big 10 coaches want the age of incoming freshman limited. Coaches from marginal schools have opposed any change.

"There is an age limit for NCAA Division I and II sports. The NCAA allows a one year grace period after high school graduation for DI and II schools. One year after your high school class graduates is when your eligibility will start to be affected in all sports except for hockey, skiing and tennis. The eligibility clock does not start for hockey players and skiers until after their 21st birthday. Tennis players start losing eligibility 6 months after they graduate high school."
The NCAA gives you 5 years to complete 4 seasons of eligibility. Connor Reilly is in his 4th year of eligibility. He missed a whole season due to injury. He turned 25 last October.
It seems pretty bizarre that tennis players start losing eligibility 6 months after high school and hockey players and skiers clock doesn't start running until age 21! Lucia and some Big 10 coaches want the age of incoming freshman limited. Coaches from marginal schools have opposed any change.

So Wisconsin and NoDak have opposed it?

The team formerly known as Sue for sure. They love those Canadians that couldn't get into any major university.

Personally it is hurting hockey in general.

It is not hurting hockey. Unless you like watching worse hockey. The elite teams that bring in young guys still are doing just fine.

Agreed. I see it as a non issue.
I do see it as an issue! College athletics should be for college aged athletes. I don't know what age most college skiers are but many hockey players are not entering college until they are around 21 years old. No other college sport has players starting their college careers at such an advanced age.
For every player that does makes a D1 team after laboring for years in junior hockey there are many who do not make it. They waste 2 or 3 years in the juniors only to wind up playing hockey for a D3 team with no scholarship. I say one year of juniors after high school should be the maximum allowed.

I do see it as an issue! College athletics should be for college aged athletes. I don't know what age most college skiers are but many hockey players are not entering college until they are around 21 years old. No other college sport has players starting their college careers at such an advanced age.
For every player that does makes a D1 team after laboring for years in junior hockey there are many who do not make it. They waste 2 or 3 years in the juniors only to wind up playing hockey for a D3 team with no scholarship. I say one year of juniors after high school should be the maximum allowed.

I was always under the impression that people who served in the military right out of high school did not lose any of their eligibility and also, another example is Mormons who go on 2 year missions, I believe that they do not lose any eligibility either. Or am I wrong about these two situations?

I believe that one of Clem Haskins first recruits was in the military first?

Mormons wait two years before playing football? Good grief, they would be out of shape and away from the game for some time.

Top Bottom