Pro Football Focus: Top 10 Returning BT Players (4. Minnesota DI Steven Richardson)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pro Football Focus:

4. Minnesota DI Steven Richardson
Richardson was a surprise standout last season, as he wasn’t on anyone’s preseason watch list. He exploded out of the gates with two sacks, two hits, five hurries and nine total stops in Minnesota’s three non-conference games, and maintained his strong interior play throughout the conference season. He posted at least four total pressures in six of nine conference games, including a three-game stretch against Purdue, Nebraska and Northwestern that saw him rack up four sacks and 10 hurries. He showed signs of his pass-rush ability during his freshman and sophomore seasons at Minnesota, but took a giant leap forward in his play against the run in 2016 (he posted a run defense grade of 84.9, better than Hurst’s 84.3). Look for him to continue trending upward this fall.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-the-top-10-returning-big-ten-players/

Go Gophers!!

He's above McSorely and Hubbard? I like Richardson and all but come on.

8 of the 10 are defensive guys and the two offensive guys are both from PSU.
As a DT Richardson is a complete force in the middle. I can see why he is rated so high.

He played great last year. I hope he takes another step forward this year and improves again. That would be awesome for our defense especially since we'll be playing so many young guys.

What about the injury he suffered in the bowl game? I never hear a word on it. Really need him to be healthy.

He's above McSorely and Hubbard? I like Richardson and all but come on.

Why? He couldn't have been more disruptive last year. He isn't a PJ recruit, but he has a ton of talent. He can actually help the Gophers win some games this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we had any decent DE play last year his dominance would've been clearer.

The guy is a total stud and the Gophers are a different team when he is on the field. He deserves that spot.

our edge rushers were at least decent last year if not better.

Ehhh. We used a lot of blitzes and packages to generate pressure in passing situations. What we didn't have were DEs that could make teams pay for doubling Richardson on the inside.

Hopefully, this season Elmore has Cockran like season from a few years ago and Devers plays all year like he did early in the season and can be on the field more often.
Richardson is by far the best DL we have had the past few years and should be rated highly within the conference.

Why? He couldn't have been more disruptive last year. He isn't a PJ recruit, but he has a ton of talent. He can actually help the Gophers win some games this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if that was supposed to be a shot at PJ or. Because they're both better players than Richardson.

Trivia side note(Minnesota angle): Who is #10's uncle...

10. Northwestern S Godwin Igwebuike

Hubbard?

In what world did Hubbard outplay Richardson this year?

Richardson has 7 sacks and 11 TFL last season.
Hubbard had 3.5 sacks and 8 TFL last aeason.

Richardson was a much better player than Hubbard last year.

But I get it, he isn't a PJF guy. I sometimes forget the Fleckophiles don't live in the real world.

Not sure if that was supposed to be a shot at PJ or. Because they're both better players than Richardson.

It was a shot at you. You're obsessed with PJ. In your world, everything was awful before and everything is great under PJ (except wins of course, PJ shouldn't be expected to win at the rate that Claeys won).

It was a shot at you. You're obsessed with PJ. In your world, everything was awful before and everything is great under PJ (except wins of course, PJ shouldn't be expected to win at the rate that Claeys won).

Not sure what you're talking about I said to wait to see who's on the team next year before making predictions on how many wins. I have high hopes for next year now that I know who's on the team. Also no I didn't think that everything was awful I just found the team extremely frustrating to watch on Saturday's so I was happy to see a coaching change.

Hubbard?

In what world did Hubbard outplay Richardson this year?

Richardson has 7 sacks and 11 TFL last season.
Hubbard had 3.5 sacks and 8 TFL last aeason.

Richardson was a much better player than Hubbard last year.

But I get it, he isn't a PJF guy. I sometimes forget the Fleckophiles don't live in the real world.

I thought they were measuring who the top players were returning not who did better last year. You can't honestly say Richardson is a better player than Hubbard can you? I'm willing to bet Hubbard played significantly less snaps than Richardson because of how many DE's they played.

Also not sure why you think I worship Fleck. I think he will be a better coach than Claeys which has me excited but I don't think he inherited a terrible team.

I thought they were measuring who the top players were returning not who did better last year. You can't honestly say Richardson is a better player than Hubbard can you? I'm willing to bet Hubbard played significantly less snaps than Richardson because of how many DE's they played.

Also not sure why you think I worship Fleck. I think he will be a better coach than Claeys which has me excited but I don't think he inherited a terrible team.

Better watch it guys. ..Johnny is going to tell PJ on you.

And yes, I for one think Richardson is a better player than Hubbard. I don't think that's a stretch at all.

Better watch it guys. ..Johnny is going to tell PJ on you.

And yes, I for one think Richardson is a better player than Hubbard. I don't think that's a stretch at all.

He could of got drafted in the second or third round this year I'm confused. How is that not a stretch? Not saying Richardson isn't a great player but..

Hopefully, this season Elmore has Cockran like season from a few years ago and Devers plays all year like he did early in the season and can be on the field more often.
Richardson is by far the best DL we have had the past few years and should be rated highly within the conference.

Im really expecting Devers to step up his game this year. He showed flashes of brilliance as a freshman but he needs consistency.

Your arguement in bold can go in the opposite direction as well. A player that is rotated in and out more often will be fresher, and less likely to be injured. My take is this, you really can't compare a guy who mostly plays in space with a guy who plays exclusively in the interior.

I can really only speak about Richardson. Teams scheme around him when he's in the game. Not only that, there really isn't another DL that plays at Richardsons level. OSU has a whole roster full of players on Hubbard's level. Just guessing here. The guess is that Hubbard doesn't see one fourth of the double teams Richardson sees.

He could of got drafted in the second or third round this year I'm confused. How is that not a stretch? Not saying Richardson isn't a great player but..

Don't follow the NFL much, but Richardson is often compared to this guy. http://www.nfl.com/player/aarondonald/2543485/profile

DT is tough position to fill. Richardson will get a long hard look all season. If a guy who can bench 500lbs , play with leverage and move the way Richardson can, he will get a look. Not an Ideal tackle sizewise, but his pad level is consistantly low and he gets great push. He does have the ability to disrupt and colapse the pocket. It's the Richardson's that can help good DE's like Hubbard have great games.

Hageman playing in the Superbowl won't hurt him either.

Absolutely you can. Plus it's much harder to DT's to rack up gaudy numbers than DE's.

LOL.

Isn't that a pretty good way to tell? They are the same age and Richardson was considerably more productive last season. Additionally, Richardson played DT and still got more of a pass rush.

Do I think Richardson is better? Probably. I know he was considerably better last year.

Who do I think has more upside? Hubbard. He is more athletic. He is doesn't have the height limitations that Richardson has.

potential

I think you are mixing up NFL potential with College production. Richardson was more productive and probably will be again.

Top Bottom