Dior Johnson no longer enrolled @ U

Suing is no small matter, might not be worth it for anyone.

Are they allowed to remain enrolled as long as the continue to appeal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Kiante's attorney(s) think he has a good chance at the appeal.

Who knows. Regrets and a lot of redemption goes a long way. If he can be re-instated, he'll be a cog in the defensive wheel.

Maybe Kiante's attorney(s) think he has a good chance at the appeal.

Who knows. Regrets and a lot of redemption goes a long way. If he can be re-instated, he'll be a cog in the defensive wheel.

Fleck would also have to let him back on the team, I don't know if he would considering he was part of the original 4 that had direct contact with the girl. It would be huge to get him back though. He alone could be the difference between an entire win and 7-6 vs 8-5 or 8-5 vs 9-4.

Doubt it though. Williams is probably the only one who has a decent chance with the provost.

Will Dior go directly to suing the University?

If Hutton thinks there's good chance for a nice settlement, which I think he does, he'll take the chance for sure.

If Hutton gets paid either way... it is no risk to him.

It is a risk to anyone paying if they actually don't get anything....

If Hutton gets paid either way... it is no risk to him.

It is a risk to anyone paying if they actually don't get anything....

These kids aren't paying Hutton. I'm sure Hutton bills between $200 - $300 an hour. He might get a chunk of a settlement, but his payment, is exposure. (If I had to guess)

These kids aren't paying Hutton. I'm sure Hutton bills between $200 - $300 an hour. He might get a chunk of a settlement, but his payment, is exposure. (If I had to guess)

Is this an NCAA violation if they are not paying him?

Is this an NCAA violation if they are not paying him?

I doubt it. It's pretty common in the area of law for attorneys to do pro-bono work (which I am sure is how he is categorizing it) for students who couldn't afford his services. Attorneys offer free legal advice to college kids all of the time.

I doubt it. It's pretty common in the area of law for attorneys to do pro-bono work (which I am sure is how he is categorizing it) for students who couldn't afford his services. Attorneys offer free legal advice to college kids all of the time.

Thanks for the answer.

Hutton stated on Doogie's podcast that the U compliance department sent a letter to all the players telling them they must pay for their own attorney or be in violation of NCAA bylaws regarding impermissible benefits.

It might be common, but do we know for a fact that's the case here?

Hutton stated on Doogie's podcast that the U compliance department sent a letter to all the players telling them they must pay for their own attorney or be in violation of NCAA bylaws regarding impermissible benefits.

That's interesting. I had not heard that. That seems like a very strange rule. Like I said, my dealings with the EoAA office were in volunteering my hours to college students for free, and I could choose how long I wanted to give my time. There were a couple of athletes that I worked for (no EoAA issues). It seems like Hutton is doing the exact same thing.

I would guess that no one can pay his bills. However, Hutton can charge whatever he wants. So what if his bill is $1.00 or $0.00?

If they decide that is an NCAA violation, then he could just sign a contingency agreement, where he would get paid a small portion of whatever they collect in a civil matter. But I think this would just be a way to get around the NCAA.

I find that stance by the U's compliance department to be incredibly troubling. Lawyers take high profile cases for free all of the time. It has little to do with football or anything.

I agree that it is troubling. That makes it appear like the U trying to get the outcome they desire by any means necessary.

I'd be shocked if an attorney as prominent as Hutton as a standard rate below $300/hr.

That's interesting. I had not heard that. That seems like a very strange rule. Like I said, my dealings with the EoAA office were in volunteering my hours to college students for free, and I could choose how long I wanted to give my time. There were a couple of athletes that I worked for (no EoAA issues). It seems like Hutton is doing the exact same thing.

I would guess that no one can pay his bills. However, Hutton can charge whatever he wants. So what if his bill is $1.00 or $0.00?

If they decide that is an NCAA violation, then he could just sign a contingency agreement, where he would get paid a small portion of whatever they collect in a civil matter. But I think this would just be a way to get around the NCAA.

I find that stance by the U's compliance department to be incredibly troubling. Lawyers take high profile cases for free all of the time. It has little to do with football or anything.

Could this be part of the reason why so many of the players who may be suing are suddenly enrolling at JUCO's ? Receiving reduced lawyer rates can't be a NCAA violation if you aren't enrolled at a NCAA institution - or does that rule carry over to JUCO's ?

No. I don't know. I assumed college kids couldn't afford Lee Hutton. I just assumed that he would do it for the publicity.

GH in a nutshell right there.

X isn't happening

Do we know that?

Nope.

GH in a nutshell right there.

X isn't happening

Do we know that?

Nope.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have said "that isn't happening". Do you think these players are paying him $300 an hour? I would guess the amount of work that he has done on this case, his fees would be over $200,0000.

I'd be shocked if an attorney as prominent as Hutton as a standard rate below $300/hr.

$300 would put him in about the 90th percentile in MPLS. I'd guess he is hovering around there.

I agree that it is troubling. That makes it appear like the U trying to get the outcome they desire by any means necessary.

But if Lee Hutton isn't giving his time for free to other college students in similar situations (not sure if he is or isn't, but let's assume he isn't), then how could you not look at it as improper benefits? How is it different than a dealership giving a player a car, and saying they did it for publicity?

And as far as the NCAA is concerned, he can't charge a discounted rate either UNLESS he routinely does it (income based pricing or college student discount, etc.). Again, think car dealership charging $1 for a corvette.

He could probably argue his time was equally divided between the players, thus charge a fraction (1/9th of his time for the hearing, 1/5th of his time for the restraining order to whom applicable).

Another example, which I personally think shows how ridiculous this can be - as a person who donates money to the U, if I stop for a stranded motorist on the side of the road I CANNOT give that individual a ride and can't even let them use my phone if they are on a team. Even though using my phone costs zero since I have unlimited minutes.

I don't think the U is trying to sway the outcome, they're just trying to remain on the good side of the NCAA. And based on what I know of the rules, I don't think their assessment is wrong.

I understand a lot of people will think this is different because they "needed" a lawyer, but the vast majority of students who go through this process don't have lawyers.

Or, since presumably some of the reinstated players are back on the team, the U might be making sure that the NCAA rules are understood and followed. These people might have an agenda but they're not stupid. Assume they've been making sure they're doing it by the book which is why I doubt there's going to be a bunch of lawsuits getting big money.

Hewitt had been a practicing attorney, as well as a dean of a law school. The U does employ other lawyers. I'm sort of thinking that legal team might have it together more than the GH legal team. Hewitt isn't exactly fleeing to Rainy River Community College; she's going to one of the most prestigious universities in the nation. Pretty sure they're aware of the happenings here and have done their due diligence.

Not allowed a lawyer; coerced to give up information; having your case heard with 9 others, etc. is all unfair but there are obviously people at the U who feel that as long as they follow the procedure set up by them to follow the Title IX directive, they're on solid ground. Going to be interesting going forward. Is this a lull before the storm or a quiet retreat?

Top Bottom