Miller - 1st year as OL coach, 1st year overall
Poore - 3rd year as RB coach, 6th year overall
Anderson - 3rd year as RB coach, 6th year overall
Reeves - 6th year as TE/H-Back coach, 6th year overall
Sawvel - 1st year as DC, 6th year overall
Phelps - 6th year as DL coach, 6th year overall
Sherels - 3rd year as LB coach, 3rd year overall
O'Brien - 1st year as SC/asst DB coach, 1st year overall

So of the 10 coaches, you have 2 (20%) in their 6th year in their role, and 5 (50%) in their 1st year in their role. There were 3 (30%) in their 3rd year in their role. These are the facts, regardless of your spin. You don't get to judge a 1st-year coach by 6th-year coach standards. That's not the way the world works in football or in anything else in life. Stop it.

I see 6/10 coaches in their 6th year overall recruiting and coaching at Minnesota. This was Tracy's 1st year as head coach in title only. He was acting/interim/head coach for 13 games before this year started and went 6-7 in those games.

How many games has any one coach on the current staff coached at Minnesota? 0

These are all facts regardless of your spin.

Does anyone know where Jay Johnson wound up?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I see 6/10 coaches in their 6th year overall recruiting and coaching at Minnesota. This was Tracy's 1st year as head coach in title only. He was acting/interim/head coach for 13 games before this year started and went 6-7 in those games.

How many games has any one coach on the current staff coached at Minnesota? 0

These are all facts regardless of your spin.

When the 5-year COO of a company gets hired to be the CEO, do the shareholders get to judge him by the standards of a 6th-year CEO?

Yes they do.

If that's the case, the first thing the shareholders should do is try to oust their corporate board members. It would be insane to judge the newly appointed CEO by the previous regime. Their real issue would be with the appointment itself.

If that's the case, the first thing the shareholders should do is try to oust their corporate board members. It would be insane to judge the newly appointed CEO by the previous regime. Their real issue would be with the appointment itself.
I've got news for you Bob, shareholders are less forgiving than Gopher fans b/c their money is on the line. There is no grace period.

Claeys - 1st year as head coach, 6th year overall
Johnson - 1st year as offensive coordinator, 1st year overall
Miller - 1st year as OL coach, 1st year overall
Poore - 3rd year as RB coach, 6th year overall
Anderson - 3rd year as RB coach, 6th year overall
Reeves - 6th year as TE/H-Back coach, 6th year overall
Sawvel - 1st year as DC, 6th year overall
Phelps - 6th year as DL coach, 6th year overall
Sherels - 3rd year as LB coach, 3rd year overall
O'Brien - 1st year as SC/asst DB coach, 1st year overall

So of the 10 coaches, you have 2 (20%) in their 6th year in their role, and 5 (50%) in their 1st year in their role. There were 3 (30%) in their 3rd year in their role. These are the facts, regardless of your spin. You don't get to judge a 1st-year coach by 6th-year coach standards. That's not the way the world works in football or in anything else in life. Stop it.

You could add Dan O'Brien 9th year in the program, just first year as on the field coach.

The CEO and COO of a Company work as a team. The COO is generally in charge of the day to day operations and stepping into the CEO spot is more of a transition with all of the remaining management teams still intact. So if the the company begins to tank under the new CEO, the board most certainly could make a change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the University of Minnesota there is never a reason to apologize for a 9 win season. That being said, I believe the coaching change was made for the future. This can obviously never be proven, but I think the next 4 years with Fleck will be substantially more successful than the next 4 years with Claeys would have been. I have probably already been labeled as Fleck-ite but I was also a Kill/Claeys fanatic and probably could be quoted at some point raging against the negatives saying that Kill/Claeys were a godsend. With the Big Ten continuing to improve in overall talent, I honestly believe that the Claeys regime would have steadily declined and would have been left in the dust. We sold high as a program. I may be a Fleck supporter (because I am a University of Minnesota supporter) but that is not a guarantee that this will work. We will see, but even if Fleck only wins 7-8 games/year over the next 4 years I think that is a significant upgrade over what Claeys would have done. Anything else is gravy.

Basically - I support the change, but maintain my view that any season that results in 8 wins is a season worth celebrating. Something, something Jay Johnson...

Agree, good post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could add Dan O'Brien 9th year in the program, just first year as on the field coach.

So we should have judged TC as a 9th year coach. 9-wins. Pretty Good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you saying that execution is the only thing, b/c that's just not true. There's talent, scheme vs scheme matchups, the breadth and depth of an Offense, in-game adjustments in response to the Defense's apparent game plan, when and what plays a coach decides to use in response to down & distance and field position, etc. It all matters.
That said, I think most of the complaints have been about production rather than just play calling.

My point is that people on here complain about play-calling - but it's always after the fact. If a play works, nobody complains about the play call. By definition on this board, bad play-calling only covers plays that do not work. I do believe that execution is more important than play-calling. Of course, a good play-caller will attack the defense's tendencies and weak spots - but a good play-caller also knows you go with what works, and you avoid what doesn't work.

it just bugs me that when there's a bad play, people say it was a bad play call, and when there's a good play, they say it was a good play call, as if the call exists apart from execution.

Coaching changes are made with the future in mind. Who here thought Claeys was the long-term solution? Maybe if Claeys had sat down and read the report instead of sticking his head in the sand he might still have a job.

My point is that people on here complain about play-calling - but it's always after the fact. If a play works, nobody complains about the play call. By definition on this board, bad play-calling only covers plays that do not work. I do believe that execution is more important than play-calling. Of course, a good play-caller will attack the defense's tendencies and weak spots - but a good play-caller also knows you go with what works, and you avoid what doesn't work.

it just bugs me that when there's a bad play, people say it was a bad play call, and when there's a good play, they say it was a good play call, as if the call exists apart from execution.
Yeah, I agree with that. I've always believed that an OC has the hardest job in football b/c it's the most easily criticized with hindsight, but especially so in conservative offenses.

Right you did - my bad. Beating Maryland on the road by 3 touchdowns was my favorite moment of many.

Why did you limit it to the regular season?

The fact that beating Maryland is your favorite moment of the regular season only proves my point. We also played PSU, Iowa, Nebraska, and UW yet Maryland is the memory that stands out to you. Plenty of opportunities for big memorable wins but we couldn't take a single one. The regular season was a disappointment case closed.

So we should have judged TC as a 9th year coach. 9-wins. Pretty Good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Dan was in the department for a while.

May as well tack on TC's staff's crappy job as AD...

The fact that beating Maryland is your favorite moment of the regular season only proves my point. We also played PSU, Iowa, Nebraska, and UW yet Maryland is the memory that stands out to you. Plenty of opportunities for big memorable wins but we couldn't take a single one. The regular season was a disappointment case closed.

I'm looking forward to a minimum of 10 wins this fall so that you won't be disappointed.

I'm looking forward to a minimum of 10 wins this fall so that you won't be disappointed.

You're being so simplistic. Had the Gophers gone 8-4 last year with wins against Iowa and Wisconsin but losses to Maryland and Northwestern it would have been much more successful than what actually happened. Your only argument is the number of wins without digging deeper. There's a reason we didn't finish ranked with a 9 and 4 record and it's because everyone in the world besides you could see we beat no one worthy with plenty of opportunities to do so. Why are you pleased with losing to literally every single good team we played last year? Please possibly explain how losing to every good team is a success. It can only be considered a success to someone with pathetic expectations. I don't care that we were losing to South Dakota 6 years ago that's a pathetic excuse. I don't accept that loser mentality just because we're Minnesota and have the past that we do. Thank god Coyle doesn't have that loser mentality either and took the needed action to change that part of our culture.

You're being so simplistic. Had the Gophers gone 8-4 last year with wins against Iowa and Wisconsin but losses to Maryland and Northwestern it would have been much more successful than what actually happened. Your only argument is the number of wins without digging deeper. There's a reason we didn't finish ranked with a 9 and 4 record and it's because everyone in the world besides you could see we beat no one worthy with plenty of opportunities to do so. Why are you pleased with losing to literally every single good team we played last year? Please possibly explain how losing to every good team is a success. It can only be considered a success to someone with pathetic expectations. I don't care that we were losing to South Dakota 6 years ago that's a pathetic excuse. I don't accept that loser mentality just because we're Minnesota and have the past that we do. Thank god Coyle doesn't have that loser mentality either and took the needed action to change that part of our culture.

If the season had gone as you suggest, I am willing to bet that people would be on this board complaining that "Claeys lost to Maryland and Northwestern." Unless a team goes undefeated and wins the National Championship, you can always find something to complain about - assuming you're looking to find something to complain about. I suggest that certain people on this board would have complained about anything connected to Claeys, because they didn't like Claeys. and next year, certain people will find something to complain about connected to Fleck, because they don't like Fleck. And the Circle of Life continues.

If the season had gone as you suggest, I am willing to bet that people would be on this board complaining that "Claeys lost to Maryland and Northwestern." Unless a team goes undefeated and wins the National Championship, you can always find something to complain about - assuming you're looking to find something to complain about. I suggest that certain people on this board would have complained about anything connected to Claeys, because they didn't like Claeys. and next year, certain people will find something to complain about connected to Fleck, because they don't like Fleck. And the Circle of Life continues.

Bingo.

I didn't see a lot of people complaining about the loss to Illinois during the 2014 season. Yeah, there was some disappointment that the Gophers lost the game b/c they didn't get going until the 2nd half of the game and Cobb fumbled the ball resulting in an Illinois TD. Disappointment is natural. Most fans could see that the effort was there and coaches pulled out all stops to win the game, but suffered a misfortunate event by one of the team's stars.
The biggest factor in fans not complaining is that the team didn't tank after that game and went on to crush Iowa the very next game and beat Nebraska in Lincoln, as well as play Ohio St and Wisconsin really tough.
So, not bingo.

Nope. People would be happy to have the Ax and Floyd sitting in Bierman right now plain and simple.

Nope. People would be happy to have the Ax and Floyd sitting in Bierman right now plain and simple.

I don't agree. What you're talking about is a moving target, because everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes a "successful" season. You may be perfectly happy with an 8-4 season that included wins over IA and WI - but I guarantee you that someone else would not consider that a successful season because of who they lost to and/or how they lost. Last season, the Gophers won 9 games, and a number of people on this board are proclaiming it was not a successful season, because something about the season did not meet their criteria for success. It's like reviewing a movie - 10 different people can watch a movie and have 10 different opinions. With Gopher FB, there is almost never a consensus on the season, because everyone has their own opinion.

Your argument basically amounts to: "it is what I say it is, because I said so." That is an opinion - not a fact.

Would be nice to know what a successful season is.

Win total doesn't matter if we win 3 trophies. (Axe, Pig, Chair, Jug)?
2 trophy wins and at least __ regular season wins?
1 trophy win and at least __ regular season wins?
0 trophy wins and at least __ regular season wins?

Than how does the bowl game factor in?

Jeff Horton WON HALF TROPHY GAMES HE COACHED IN!

The funny thing is that there are posters here who would be happier with a 2-10 season where we beat Iowa and wisconsin than they are with a 9-win season.

I didn't see a lot of people complaining about the loss to Illinois during the 2014 season. Yeah, there was some disappointment that the Gophers lost the game b/c they didn't get going until the 2nd half of the game and Cobb fumbled the ball resulting in an Illinois TD. Disappointment is natural. Most fans could see that the effort was there and coaches pulled out all stops to win the game, but suffered a misfortunate event by one of the team's stars.
The biggest factor in fans not complaining is that the team didn't tank after that game and went on to crush Iowa the very next game and beat Nebraska in Lincoln, as well as play Ohio St and Wisconsin really tough.
So, not bingo.

Yeah, I think 2014 was a better season because we had bigger wins.

That doesn't change anything about 9-4 being successful. We're the Gophers. If we win 9 games (at this point in our program), it's successful. That doesn't mean that there couldn't be better seasons (see 2014).

Of course we would be happy. Minnesota hasn't beat Iowa and Wisconsin in the same year since 1990. You need a better example.

Yeah, I think 2014 was a better season because we had bigger wins.

That doesn't change anything about 9-4 being successful. We're the Gophers. If we win 9 games (at this point in our program), it's successful. That doesn't mean that there couldn't be better seasons (see 2014).

We beat Michigan, but they weren't typical Michigan (3-5).

We beat ZERO teams that finished in the top 25 in 2014 and 2016.

We beat ONE TEAM that had a WINNING B1G record each year: Nebraska 2014; Northwestern 2016.

2014 1-2 against teams with winning conference records and 3-1 against teams with losing records.
2016 1-4 against teams with winning confernece records and 4-0 against teams with losing records.
**Iowa was 4-4 in '14...didn't count them.

However the B1G winning percentage was .457 for the opponents we beat in '14 and only .244 in '16.

Semi related question.

Is that where they keep them?

When we've had the trophies I've wanted to go see them sometimes but honestly didn't know where they keep them most of the time...

It was super frustrating that when we had them they OFTEN were not actually at the stadium on gameday (at least not that I could see...).

Top Bottom