Jay Johnson

Free Google search

This thread is a dumpster fire. Can someone tell me where Jay ended up??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggests he likely has not found a college job. He was recently discussed as a candidate to be Pitt's OC. They hired someone else. His school prior to Minnesota just hired a new offensive coordinator...so they had an opening but that is now filled.

When your winning at half time you should have a good chance in winning the have. That wasn't the case with claeys

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Don't you dare talk that way about Claeys.

To summarize. 9 wins is a bad season and then would have been followed by a season of 5 wins and 4 wins if TC were still around. And what does the oracle predict in the next three years for PJF?
The "oracle" says it will be better than it would've been under Claeys.
Next time please capitalize Oracle.

I wish it were that simple.

9 wins LAST year is not good enough.
8 wins NEXT year is an unrealistic expectation.

Additionally, you have to keep in mind that PJ Fleck is dealing with implementing a new system. You shouldn't have high expectations for next year. However, here is where it gets tricky, the offense last year (with Johnson and Miller), should have hit the ground running. You should not have expected a learning curve.

The 8-4 regular season was a disappointment. Beating WSU in the Holiday Bowl made everything seem better but I don't know how any Gopher fan could've been happy with the regular season.

The 8-4 regular season was a disappointment. Beating WSU in the Holiday Bowl made everything seem better but I don't know how any Gopher fan could've been happy with the regular season.

No it was the best regular season ever! No way the 2014 season could ever be considered better than last seasom!

Why do I (or does anyone) give a sh1t about what other people who attend games care who or how we beat people? I literally could not care less what other attendees at Gophers games think about the Gophers. And you're wrong about the bowl committees, btw. They are more or less bound by rule and win totals to pick among (at most) 2-3 teams in their slot. They are obligated to pick an 8-win Minnesota team over a 6-win Iowa team, for example, unless it's against the repeat selection rules put into place. They don't look at or care about strength of schedule or margin of victory. That matters for the playoff committee. I'll worry about those things when we're in that discussion.

You're barking up the wrong tree. I attend every Gophers home game I possibly can unless I'm out of town or somebody died. I've attended probably 46 out of the 49 home games in TCF Bank Stadium. And again, why would I care how many people were excited about the victory over Rutgers? Why would I care? Why would anybody? What a weird thing to be concerned about. I care about winning games.

Iowa had a better regular season than the Gophers did because they beat their rival(us) on the road and had a signature win against Michigan. We did neither. Claey's deserved to be fired purely for on field performance with or without the scandal. Adam Weber could've coached this team to an 8-4 regular season for crying out loud. Anyone could have.

No it was the best regular season ever! No way the 2014 season could ever be considered better than last seasom!

You're exactly right that 2014 was better than 2016, it's not even close. You get it more than most on here.

You two make me laugh. I get the feeling you'd hate any OC who doesn't have a QB with a rating over 100 and a RB who fails to gain 150 yards per game.

Our offensive play calling was just fine.

No, just the simple fact he was a worse play caller then Limegrover, who actually got quite better after Kills departure....

The "oracle" says it will be better than it would've been under Claeys.
Next time please capitalize Oracle.

You are most certainly a lowercase oracle. Once you illustrate the ability to accurately and critically evaluate the future of PJF, as you have TC, you may earn the uppercase. Until then, oracle.

Iowa had a better regular season than the Gophers did because they beat their rival(us) on the road and had a signature win against Michigan. We did neither. Claey's deserved to be fired purely for on field performance with or without the scandal. Adam Weber could've coached this team to an 8-4 regular season for crying out loud. Anyone could have.

Keep telling yourself that, champ.

How many times have the Gophers played 13 games in a season? How many times did they squeak by bad opponents? How many ranked teams did they beat? How many rival games did they win? Yeah, that is right...zero! Thanks for playing though.

Fify

We all get it.

Close wins = Losses
Close losses = Losses

It's the only rational way to judge close games.

That said, I am glad this is the criteria we are going to use. A bad season means that you beat every single team that you should beat, win 8+ games and go well over .500 in the Big 10 every year!!!! It's going to be great being a Gopher fan :)

Well over .500 in the Big Ten, that's a good one! Why don't you comment on how long they've been playing 13 games. I know it makes you nervous to have expectations. It'll be ok though, you'll be alright.

Well over .500 in the Big Ten, that's a good one! Why don't you comment on how long they've been playing 13 games. I know it makes you nervous to have expectations. It'll be ok though, you'll be alright.

No, fans should accept losing every rivalry game and blowing leads at halftime. They should accept losing to teams that were playing terrible in Nebraska and Penn State. This was the best Gopher season in over 50 years and anyone else that says otherwise is an idiot! I mean why would anyone want a better win than Northwestern during the regular season? Fire Coyle now what an idiot no way he could ever get a big name coach to come here. All the players will transfer and the recruiting class will be 7 players. Set the program back 50+ years by firing the greatest coach of all time Claeys!

Were you honestly happy with the regular season?

Yes! Any sane person with any reasonable perspective is. It was not that long ago that we were routinely losing to I-AA schools (and not even good I-AA schools). People keep saying, "oh, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers, none of them are any good." People keep forgetting - WE WERE RUTGERS, PURDUE, ILLINOIS - AND WORSE!!! We are solidly in the middle of the Big Ten, a far better position than we were 5 or 10 years ago. We "beat the teams we were supposed to beat". Who's responsible for putting the team in a position that it is better than all of those teams and made it so that we were, in fact, "supposed to beat them"?

Yes! Any sane person with any reasonable perspective is. It was not that long ago that we were routinely losing to I-AA schools (and not even good I-AA schools). People keep saying, "oh, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers, none of them are any good." People keep forgetting - WE WERE RUTGERS, PURDUE, ILLINOIS - AND WORSE!!! We are solidly in the middle of the Big Ten, a far better position than we were 5 or 10 years ago. We "beat the teams we were supposed to beat". Who's responsible for putting the team in a position that it is better than all of those teams and made it so that we were, in fact, "supposed to beat them"?
Jerry Kill, not Tracy Claeys. And he wasn't perfect. He got the program to a level that could beat average teams with a couple upsets along the way, but didn't have the chance to finish the work. Claeys was on autopilot from Kill's program except a new Offensive scheme that looked anemic, and the program slipped and was slipping.

Based on their recruiting ranking in December. kidding.

They were slipping is no less of a stretch than saying they were on their way to being national title contenders next year had Claeys stayed.
You can't prove either, because he is no longer here.

Based on what? Claeys having more wins than Kill ever did as Minnesota's head coach?
I think this argument is just repeating itself. Easiest schedule in years, drop off in recruiting, reduced fan enthusiasm, lack of fundraising and promotional effort by new head coach, etc.

Again, Claeys is the one that raised expectations for results this year. Usually, when you predict 8 to 10 wins (regular season), you'd think that would involve kicking someone's rearend instead of struggling with Rutgers and Oregon St and losing every Rivalry game.

Again, Claeys is the one that raised expectations for results this year. Usually, when you predict 8 to 10 wins (regular season), you'd think that would involve kicking someone's rearend instead of struggling with Rutgers and Oregon St and losing every Rivalry game.

And if he said less people would complain too...

If this was 5 years ago then you'd be correct that an 8-4 season would seem pretty damn good. But the fact is we've been a pretty solid program for the last few years making a New Year's Day bowl game in 2014. Expectations are different now so I'm not sure why you're still comparing us to those pathetic teams of five or six years ago. That's not who we are anymore and it's time to think bigger which is exactly what Fleck is referring to when he's talking about culture change. A good regular season would contain wins against good teams and rivals where you look back a few years later with pride and good memories. That's why 2014 was a much better regular season beating Iowa Michigan and Nebraska. It's why I say Iowa had a better regular season than we did because they beat their main rival and also upset Michigan. They have wins they can point to with pride. We had zero memorable wins unless beating Northwestern at home gives you a ton of pride. It absolutely matters who you beat.

They did kick Maryland, Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern.
They won 8 games, which if Claeys predicted 8 to 10 wins falls within that prediction.
Was not a disappointing season in terms of wins. Couple of games were: PSU, Iowa and the Wisc 2nd half Liedner that happened. Every season is going to have some of those. Go back to the 14 season, we had a disappointing loss to Illinois and a barely beating Purdue win, and we finished the year with a disappointing performance vs. Missouri.

Easiest schedule in years

That was the preseason narrative, proven not to be true on the field. We played both participants in the Big Ten title game. We missed out on a terrible MSU team.

drop off in recruiting

Claeys' one class was the highest-ranked one in years.

reduced fan enthusiasm

Because the ticket prices were jacked and because we played a poor home schedule. Also, a beloved head coach retired unexpectedly in the middle of the previous season. I can't understand why the average fairweather fan wasn't jacked to the gills!

(P.S. "Fan enthusiasm" is only important to biased people with an agenda and looking for ridiculous things to bitch about.)

lack of fundraising and promotional effort by new head coach, etc.

Fundraising isn't the coach's job. He plays a role, but that's way, way down the list of his roles and responsibilities. Promoting the program isn't his job, either. His job is to win football games and run a clean program with strong academics.

He predicted 8 to 10 wins. Remind me how many we won again?

"Struggling" through wins is another stupid agenda-pushing nonsense topic. You don't get 1.5 wins for winning by 40 and 0.5 wins for winning by 1. You get one win either way. Does wisconsin have to apologize because they should've lost to Georgia St. on their home field?

If this was 5 years ago then you'd be correct that an 8-4 season would seem pretty damn good. But the fact is we've been a pretty solid program for the last few years making a New Year's Day bowl game in 2014. Expectations are different now so I'm not sure why you're still comparing us to those pathetic teams of five or six years ago. That's not who we are anymore and it's time to think bigger which is exactly what Fleck is referring to when he's talking about culture change. A good regular season would contain wins against good teams and rivals where you look back a few years later with pride and good memories. That's why 2014 was a much better regular season beating Iowa Michigan and Nebraska. It's why I say Iowa had a better regular season than we did because they beat their main rival and also upset Michigan. They have wins they can point to with pride. We had zero memorable wins unless beating Northwestern at home gives you a ton of pride. It absolutely matters who you beat.

Every win is memorable. Point out where I said that it doesn't matter who you beat. Thanks in advance.

They did kick Maryland, Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern.
They won 8 games, which if Claeys predicted 8 to 10 wins falls within that prediction.
Was not a disappointing season in terms of wins. Couple of games were: PSU, Iowa and the Wisc 2nd half Liedner that happened. Every season is going to have some of those. Go back to the 14 season, we had a disappointing loss to Illinois and a barely beating Purdue win, and we finished the year with a disappointing performance vs. Missouri.
Maryland crapped themselves, Illinois and Purdue sucked. Northwestern was a good win.

Top Bottom