Jay Johnson

Tough profession. Uproot your family, new schools, "ooops- moving back to red neck country, kids" Seemed like a good man and coach- wish him all the best

Interesting, Analyst roles seem to be on the rise. Tough to go from Big 10 OC to off the field analyst, but doesn't leave a hole in the resume.

I wonder what those guys get paid. I mean, I realize Sarkisian was the exception, but that was (essentially) the role he held at Alabama. As you basically said, I think it's a great opportunity to keep working but choose the right place to go next. And I don't know what Georgia's situation is, but maybe he might be the OC in waiting if they expect theirs to retire or move on to a head coach...

Either way, wish him the best.

I wonder what those guys get paid. I mean, I realize Sarkisian was the exception, but that was (essentially) the role he held at Alabama. As you basically said, I think it's a great opportunity to keep working but choose the right place to go next. And I don't know what Georgia's situation is, but maybe he might be the OC in waiting if they expect theirs to retire or move on to a head coach...

Either way, wish him the best.

The key to these arrangements is the coach is still being paid by the previous school. Thus Johnson gets his full salary from Minnesota while working for Georgia. Georgia pays a nominal salary (Alabama was paying $50 000) probably to satisfy labor laws/NCAA. As I understand it, whatever Georgia pays him is deducted from whatever Minnesota owes him so Johnson ends up getting the same total amount. It is a good gig for the coach as it allows them to keep learning and networking.

NCAA will probably tighten it up in the near future.

Top Bottom