Jay Johnson

Rumor is he's a candidate for Pittsburgh's OC.

Having met Johnson in the past, he is a really good guy. It sucks that he was here for one year, coming home, and then having to go find a new gig. Being a college assistant coach can be a tough job with all of the moves. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them that get to settle in long term in a successful program as so few places give their head coach time to build a program.

Having met Johnson in the past, he is a really good guy. It sucks that he was here for one year, coming home, and then having to go find a new gig. Being a college assistant coach can be a tough job with all of the moves. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them that get to settle in long term in a successful program as so few places give their head coach time to build a program.

Concur. It really is a tough life, Johnson being an example.

Poor play designer too

horrible play caller

He absolutely called bad plays of those available, but to make things worse, he didn't utilize the strengths of his talent to design his plays either. Having your quarterback turn his back to the defense dropping back to pass was a bad idea 50 years ago for multitude of reasons...and then asking him to throw to the left side from there after pirouetting around is just not smart or effective. (and if it is a little effective, you spent waaaaay too much of your practice time on it) Not throwing to Rodney multiple times a game to get him in space is unpardonable. Block it, design it effectively or miss one tackle on a bubble screen to an elusive jet and it's a touchdown....watch SportsCenter...every game has a bubble screen touchdown highlight. Somehow we couldn't be bothered. Brooks and Smith in the backfield together...jet sweep to Rodney had to be terrifying to a defense, gash by Brooks, read option with Leidner...you can't defend it all. You are telling me you can't get Wozniak designed to be covered by a 5'9 guy? practice that throw...how do you stop that? ETC ETC

I do agree he seemed like a nice guy.

Well, Alabama has an opening for an OC.

You two make me laugh. I get the feeling you'd hate any OC who doesn't have a QB with a rating over 100 and a RB who fails to gain 150 yards per game.

Our offensive play calling was just fine.

Last year's offense ranked 84th in the NCAA according to S&P. That's the lowest ranking of the entire Kill/Claeys era.

You two make me laugh. I get the feeling you'd hate any OC who doesn't have a QB with a rating over 100 and a RB who fails to gain 150 yards per game.

They remind me of the guy we sat next to at Vikings games at the old Met in the early-mid 70's. "Burnsie you suck...you wouldn't know how to call a play if it bit you in the a**!" He then pulled his flask out of his snowmobile suit and had a belt...then started up the Burnsie rant again.

They remind me of the guy we sat next to at Vikings games at the old Met in the early-mid 70's. "Burnsie you suck...you wouldn't know how to call a play if it bit you in the a**!" He then pulled his flask out of his snowmobile suit and had a belt...then started up the Burnsie rant again.
Ruppert and Halsey
70de907747d8f86106f40c6b05f75d5e.jpg

Having watched Billy Brown run off tackle left then off tackle right for so many games I can understand the man needing a belt or two.

Yeah, running up the middle 50 times a game makes the guy a play calling guru. It figures you of all people thought he was good!

Yeah, running up the middle 50 times a game makes the guy a play calling guru. It figures you of all people thought he was good!
How many times have the Gophers won 9 games in a season? Remind me again. [emoji41]

How many times have the Gophers won 9 games in a season? Remind me again. [emoji41]

How many times have the Gophers played 13 games in a season? How many times did they squeak by bad opponents? How many ranked teams did they beat? How many rival games did they win? Yeah, that is right...zero! Thanks for playing though.

How many times have the Gophers played 13 games in a season? How many times did they squeak by bad opponents? How many ranked teams did they beat? How many rival games did they win? Yeah, that is right...zero! Thanks for playing though.

We all get it.

Close wins = Losses
Close losses = Losses

It's the only rational way to judge close games.

That said, I am glad this is the criteria we are going to use. A bad season means that you beat every single team that you should beat, win 8+ games and go well over .500 in the Big 10 every year!!!! It's going to be great being a Gopher fan :)

Sounds like you were sitting next to Burnsie himself!

How many times have the Gophers played 13 games in a season?

Twenty-two, counting the seasons where they would've played 13 had they qualified for a bowl game.

How many times did they squeak by bad opponents?

Who cares? Wins are wins.

How many ranked teams did they beat?

What does that have to do with how many times they've won 9 games in a season?

How many rival games did they win?

Yeah, that is right...zero! Thanks for playing though.

You're so awesome! Of course, you voluntary live in wisconsin, which speaks to your level of intelligence.

So...9 wins for the first time in over 10 years isn't good enough for you. Got it. Join the balcony with ruppert and halsey.

So...9 wins for the first time in over 10 years isn't good enough for you. Got it. Join the balcony with ruppert and halsey.

I wish it were that simple.

9 wins LAST year is not good enough.
8 wins NEXT year is an unrealistic expectation.

Additionally, you have to keep in mind that PJ Fleck is dealing with implementing a new system. You shouldn't have high expectations for next year. However, here is where it gets tricky, the offense last year (with Johnson and Miller), should have hit the ground running. You should not have expected a learning curve.

Additionally, you have to keep in mind that PJ Fleck is dealing with implementing a new system. You shouldn't have high expectations for next year. However, here is where it gets tricky, the offense last year (with Johnson and Miller), should have hit the ground running. You should not have expected a learning curve.
Indeed. First year OC's and line coaches should win every trophy game and get us into the Rose Bowl...except for the elite Panama Jack who must be given 4 years to work his wonders despite the fact we fired a first year 9-4 coach. The intrigue of the Gopherhole logic keeps me coming back for more...

Thats as biased as it gets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Twenty-two, counting the seasons where they would've played 13 had they qualified for a bowl game.

Who cares? Wins are wins.

You're so awesome! Of course, you voluntary live in wisconsin, which speaks to your level of intelligence.

Your last sentence sums up your lack of intelligence. Bowl committees and people who attend games care who and how you beat people. I was at the Northwestern game. If you were...you would notice how many people were excited about the glorious last second victory of Rutgers.

Indeed. First year OC's and line coaches should win every trophy game and get us into the Rose Bowl...except for the elite Panama Jack who must be given 4 years to work his wonders despite the fact we fired a first year 9

I never said Fleck should be given a pass or expected to go backwards this year if you were referring to me. We have a decent team.

Top Bottom