Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Johnson

Blog Entries

Default Jay Johnson

Anyone know where Jay Johnson ended up?

Rumor is he's a candidate for Pittsburgh's OC.

Having met Johnson in the past, he is a really good guy. It sucks that he was here for one year, coming home, and then having to go find a new gig. Being a college assistant coach can be a tough job with all of the moves. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them that get to settle in long term in a successful program as so few places give their head coach time to build a program.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Rumor is he's a candidate for Pittsburgh's OC.
    If he was, he isn't now. Pitt hired Shawn Watson, former Texas OC, five days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    If he was, he isn't now. Pitt hired Shawn Watson, former Texas OC, five days ago.
    Right you are - he was a candidate for Pitt's OC.

Seemed like a nice guy, but was not impressed with his play calling.

horrible play caller

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy&Ray View Post
    Having met Johnson in the past, he is a really good guy. It sucks that he was here for one year, coming home, and then having to go find a new gig. Being a college assistant coach can be a tough job with all of the moves. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them that get to settle in long term in a successful program as so few places give their head coach time to build a program.
    Concur. It really is a tough life, Johnson being an example.

Default Poor play designer too

Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    horrible play caller
    He absolutely called bad plays of those available, but to make things worse, he didn't utilize the strengths of his talent to design his plays either. Having your quarterback turn his back to the defense dropping back to pass was a bad idea 50 years ago for multitude of reasons...and then asking him to throw to the left side from there after pirouetting around is just not smart or effective. (and if it is a little effective, you spent waaaaay too much of your practice time on it) Not throwing to Rodney multiple times a game to get him in space is unpardonable. Block it, design it effectively or miss one tackle on a bubble screen to an elusive jet and it's a touchdown....watch SportsCenter...every game has a bubble screen touchdown highlight. Somehow we couldn't be bothered. Brooks and Smith in the backfield together...jet sweep to Rodney had to be terrifying to a defense, gash by Brooks, read option with Leidner...you can't defend it all. You are telling me you can't get Wozniak designed to be covered by a 5'9 guy? practice that throw...how do you stop that? ETC ETC

I do agree he seemed like a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    horrible play caller
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppertflywheel View Post
    Seemed like a nice guy, but was not impressed with his play calling.
    You two make me laugh. I get the feeling you'd hate any OC who doesn't have a QB with a rating over 100 and a RB who fails to gain 150 yards per game.

Our offensive play calling was just fine.

Well, Alabama has an opening for an OC.

Quote Originally Posted by mkAz View Post
    I don't expect it, I'd like to see it happen, just for the heartburn it gives Coyle.

Quote Originally Posted by mkAz View Post
    I'm sure they have a "shadow staffer" waiting in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    You two make me laugh. I get the feeling you'd hate any OC who doesn't have a QB with a rating over 100 and a RB who fails to gain 150 yards per game.

Last year's offense ranked 84th in the NCAA according to S&P. That's the lowest ranking of the entire Kill/Claeys era.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post

They remind me of the guy we sat next to at Vikings games at the old Met in the early-mid 70's. "Burnsie you suck...you wouldn't know how to call a play if it bit you in the a**!" He then pulled his flask out of his snowmobile suit and had a belt...then started up the Burnsie rant again.