Blind Resume II: Pick 3 of 5

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
You're on the Selection Committee and you have 3 at-large bids available. Which 3 teams make your final cut? Voting ceases at 2 p.m., then we'll take a look at who we selected.

A
Record: 17-6
Road Record: 3-4
Overall SOS: 63
Non-Conference SOS: 60
Record vs. RPI Top 25: 0-3
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 1-4
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 6-4
Best 3 Wins Total: 154 (@ 37, 57, @ 60)
Bad Losses: 2 (113, @ 247)
Wins vs. Automatic Qualifiers: 3 (109, vs. 127, 186)
Road Wins vs. RPI Top 68: 2 (@ 37, @ 60)

B
Record: 17-6
Road Record: 2-2
Overall SOS: 46
Non-Conference SOS: 81
Record vs. RPI Top 25: 0-4
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 1-5
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 4-6
Best 3 Wins Total: 169 (@ 26, 70, vs. 73)
Bad Losses: 0
Wins vs. Automatic Qualifiers: 2 (vs. 73, 191)
Road Wins vs. RPI Top 68: 1 (@ 26)

C
Record: 14-9
Road Record: 2-3
Overall SOS: 22
Non-Conference SOS: 26
Record vs. RPI Top 25: 2-5
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 3-5
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 7-8
Best 3 Wins Total: 81 (@24, 24, 33)
Bad Losses: 1 (156)
Wins vs. Automatic Qualifiers: 1 (79)
Road Wins vs. RPI Top 68: 1 (@24)

D
Record: 18-5
Road Record: 4-3
Overall SOS: 81
Non-Conference SOS: 188
Record vs. RPI Top 25: 0-3
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 2-5
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 8-5
Best 3 Wins Total: 126 (27, vs. 32, @ 67)
Wins vs. Automatic Qualifiers: 1 (vs. 32)
Road Wins vs. RPI Top 68: 1 (@ 67)

E
Record: 20-4
Road Record: 7-1
Overall SOS: 168
Non-Conference SOS: 185
Record vs. RPI Top 25: 0-1
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 1-4
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 1-4
Best 3 Wins Total: 261 (31, 111, @ 119)
Wins vs. Automatic Qualifiers: 1 (31)
Road Wins vs. RPI Top 68: none

I think B, C, D are the most deserving out of these 5. C needs to be rewarded for playing a really tough schedule.

C with tough schedule and some big wins
B due to no bad losses and a couple of good wins and pretty solid schedule
D versus A was where I debated and went with D in the end due to the lack of bad losses and better overall wins though the SOS gave me some pause, especially OOC.

E out based on really weak schedule and only one win to write home about coupled with some losses in the games they had against teams that would likely be in contention

I'm taking A, C, and D. E is an easy out with the weak schedule. I'd like to see B with a few more quality wins.

B, C and D.
E has the weak schedule.
C played very difficult schedule but is on thin ice from a record stand point.
D has a winning road record with a neutral court win over a top 50 team.
A has 1 terrible loss which is where I pick B over A.

I object to being forced to choose based on RPI. :cool:

B & D for sure. Tossup between A & C but went with C just slightly. E was the only surefire no of the 5.

So - B, C, D

Hmmm, E is the first one out. Sounds like a runner -up in a very small conference like the Ivy league.

B, is the first one in. Decent record against decent SOS.

D, goes in next. no bad losses and some good wins. sounds like Power 5 #4 or 5 team.

A is the last one in based on a solid record against the top 100.

I really wanted to pick C, but 14-9 isn't going to cut it. There would have to be some kind of injury excuse to explain the record for me to drop one of the others.

It's B, C, and D

Final Tally
Team D = 7 votes
Team C = 6 votes
Team B = 5 votes
Team A = 3 votes
Team E = 0 votes

I went with A, C, and D. Choosing between A and B for the final at-large spot was the only thing requiring a lot of thought, IMO.

Let's see who we selected:

D= Northwestern (IN)
C = Michigan State (IN)
B = Cal (IN)
A = Arkansas (OUT)
E = Wichita State (OUT)

Wichita State will be an interesting dilemma for the Selection Committee if they win out and then lose in the MVC title game (presumably to Illinois State). The Shockers could finish 28-5 with 1 top-50 win (Illinois State) and no more than 3 top-100 wins, with all the losses to likely/potential NCAA teams (Louisville, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Illinois State twice). That's where the "eye test"/resume thingie probably comes into play.

NO FAIR! You didn't say C had a Hall of Fame coach who adds 5 wins to his team with the committee!:rolleyes:

NO FAIR! You didn't say C had a Hall of Fame coach who adds 5 wins to his team with the committee!:rolleyes:

What I'm most curious about, which I hope doesn't happen because I want all 3 to make the tournament, is what if the Gophers, Michigan State, and Northwestern all end up on the bubble? Who gets in?

Probably not going to happen, but it could.

Final Tally
Team D = 7 votes
Team C = 6 votes
Team B = 5 votes
Team A = 3 votes
Team E = 0 votes

I went with A, C, and D. Choosing between A and B for the final at-large spot was the only thing requiring a lot of thought, IMO.

Let's see who we selected:

D= Northwestern (IN)
C = Michigan State (IN)
B = Cal (IN)
A = Arkansas (OUT)
E = Wichita State (OUT)

Wichita State will be an interesting dilemma for the Selection Committee if they win out and then lose in the MVC title game (presumably to Illinois State). The Shockers could finish 28-5 with 1 top-50 win (Illinois State) and no more than 3 top-100 wins, with all the losses to likely/potential NCAA teams (Louisville, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Illinois State twice). That's where the "eye test"/resume thingie probably comes into play.

That is really interesting with Wichita State being E given what they have been the past few years. Not good for the Gophers if Arkansas falls short as that was one of our better wins. These are really interesting when looking at the resume without knowing who the team was. I bet if you had just listed out the 5 teams without including their records the votes would have come out very different and Wichita State probably would have gotten in on reputation and how good them have been the past few seasons.

I bet if you had just listed out the 5 teams without including their records the votes would have come out very different and Wichita State probably would have gotten in on reputation and how good them have been the past few seasons.

Yep, that changes things. Regarding Wichita State, I saw someone who made a good point on Twitter the other night.

With the exact same resume replace the word "Wichita" with "Weber", and do you think Weber State would be getting the same amount of love for its at-large chances as Wichita State is now? A valid question.

Yep, that changes things. Regarding Wichita State, I saw someone who made a good point on Twitter the other night.

With the exact same resume replace the word "Wichita" with "Weber", and do you think Weber State would be getting the same amount of love for its at-large chances as Wichita State is now? A valid question.

Not a chance. Question answered.

I didn't make it back in time but I was going to pick E because I knew that was Wichita St. However, they are 21-4 now and just beat Illinois St by 41. I'll be shocked if they don't win the MVC.

I didn't make it back in time but I was going to pick E because I knew that was Wichita St. However, they are 21-4 now and just beat Illinois St by 41. I'll be shocked if they don't win the MVC.

I hope they do. Will be a lot easier to exclude Illinois State than Wichita State.

Just saw this now. I went C, D, A (in that order) before looking at who they were.

I didn't see who the teams were and saw this thread after 2:00 but I went B,D and E.

Top Bottom