Former Gophers offensive line coach Bart Miller now TE coach at Air Force

I was excited about coach Miller when he was hired (might have been merely anti-Limegrover sentiment...who knows?) but it is hard to argue that we didn't get an upgrade with our current OL coach...on paper at least. Anyways, I wish him the best.

Miller is a coach on the rise, and I think will be successful over his career. Can't argue with getting an accomplished and successful assistant from tOHSU (even if he didn't do so well as OC)

I don't know if still a rule, but I do know that at one time, if you decide to quit at AFA after your sophomore year (don't know if it's at the start of your junior year for the official date and if West Point & Annapolis had the same rule), you are obligated to pay money back. If a player was ever at that level of being a 1st round talent, he could probably just go that route prior to graduation. Since he wouldn't be a commissioned officer yet, which happens right around the time of graduation, I don't think there's really anything in terms of discharge.

I do believe the service academies are starting to make a few exceptions for those cases where an athlete is able to have a professional career due to the PR benefit. But they really haven't had to deal with the 1st round pick-type yet.

You have never been in the Military, you follow orders or face Courts Martial, the slimming program isn't optional. He could resign, but after your second year you still have a military obligation, which can be served as enlisted, he would have a year to make weight.

Correct - hence my questions...no need to get touchy. Thanks for answering my question.

Just about anything is waiverable if the services have a need for your skills. I'd imagine the PR value of the players/teams would qualify as a need of the service. Nobody is going to get released from duty unless there are other issues or their playing days are over and they can't physically qualify.

Good point. David Robinson for one.

Top Bottom