Former Gophers offensive line coach Bart Miller now TE coach at Air Force

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I would like to have seen what happened with Bart over the course of a few years.

They gonna be Nasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough job recruiting big boys at the academies just because they have to fit in the weight requirements for the height

Glad he landed somewhere. Best of luck to him.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Tough job recruiting big boys at the academies just because they have to fit in the weight requirements for the height

On a side note, I'm not really sure what the exact rules are, but I think you have to fit the height/weight/body fat requirements at graduation.

So a lot of Navy OL (and I assume Army and Air Force), go on this intense diet when the football season ends and try to lose 50-60 lbs in a few months.

There is an interesting article about it in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...81055c7a05f_story.html?utm_term=.7a69151e4f4a

He's coaching TEs not OL. He should have no problem find players for that position .

Yes I can read, thanks. Still won't be able to have TE'e more than like 235 because of the weight requirements for the associated height

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Glad he landed somewhere. Best of luck to him.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

That's the thing about coaches, they always seem to land somewhere but it has to be a brutal lifestyle for their families. Saw a message come across the Brady Hoke is now going to be the DL coach at Tennessee, quite a fall from head coach at Michigan not that long ago.

Congrats to Bart. It is good to see all of Claeys' assistants land on their feet elsewhere,

Best of luck to Bart. Would've liked to see o-line develop under him for a few years.

Best of luck to Bart. Would've liked to see o-line develop under him for a few years.

Not saying Bart would or would not have done a good job but I am very interested to see what the new coaches Fleck brought in to coach O-Line can do as both are really well respected as O-Line coaches.

That's the thing about coaches, they always seem to land somewhere but it has to be a brutal lifestyle for their families. Saw a message come across the Brady Hoke is now going to be the DL coach at Tennessee, quite a fall from head coach at Michigan not that long ago.

It's a crazy lifestyle. You have to love it to do it, but the potential financial payoff can make up for a lot of the hassle factor.

It's a crazy lifestyle. You have to love it to do it, but the potential financial payoff can make up for a lot of the hassle factor.

Had a chance to hear former Gopher DC Ted Roof speaking with someone thinking of getting into the coaching industry. I thought he couldn't have summed it up better when he said something to the effect of...

'If you have to coach, then coach. But if you think you can be happy doing anything else then do that.'

There is a reason D1 coaches typically have to start out as Grad Assistants. They want to work them insane hours for almost no pay in order to weed out the ones that don't really want to be in the profession. The ones that survive being a GA and the grind of moving from place to place as they move up the ranks can certainly reap the financial rewards but I highly doubt most get into coaching for the money. It truly is a labor of love for most of them.

Had a chance to hear former Gopher DC Ted Roof speaking with someone thinking of getting into the coaching industry. I thought he couldn't have summed it up better when he said something to the effect of...

'If you have to coach, then coach. But if you think you can be happy doing anything else then do that.'

There is a reason D1 coaches typically have to start out as Grad Assistants. They want to work them insane hours for almost no pay in order to weed out the ones that don't really want to be in the profession. The ones that survive being a GA and the grind of moving from place to place as they move up the ranks can certainly reap the financial rewards but I highly doubt most get into coaching for the money. It truly is a labor of love for most of them.

This is where they figure out who wants to coach and who wants the title of being coach.

Yes I can read, thanks. Still won't be able to have TE'e more than like 235 because of the weight requirements for the associated height

Then you should read their roster. They have plenty of people well over 235 lbs. They have a 6'0" who weighs 280 lbs.

Then you should read their roster. They have plenty of people well over 235 lbs. They have a 6'0" who weighs 280 lbs.

Yes, they can be that weight during the season. Afterwards, they have to lose it. The hard part is finding guys who have the academics and can meet that height-weight ratio year round (athletes can get a bit of an exception during the season) but they must get back to that after the season. Takes a toll on a body over four years.

Yes, they can be that weight during the season. Afterwards, they have to lose it. The hard part is finding guys who have the academics and can meet that height-weight ratio year round (athletes can get a bit of an exception during the season) but they must get back to that after the season. Takes a toll on a body over four years.

Just after their final season if I read the article correctly.

Good for him. I wish him well. Colorado Springs is a beautiful place, I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

I met an officer in the reserves that had been an offensive lineman in college. He was relatively thin so I asked him how he managed to do it? He said that, 'His body didn't naturally hold the 278 lbs he played at, he got up to that weight by eating and weight lifting.'. When his final season was done, he cut back calories and started distance running, in three months he made body fat standard, allowing him to be commissioned (Army), in 12 months he made table weight. I've been retired for a long time, but my daughter is Active Army, the rules are haven't changed much.

I was excited about coach Miller when he was hired (might have been merely anti-Limegrover sentiment...who knows?) but it is hard to argue that we didn't get an upgrade with our current OL coach...on paper at least. Anyways, I wish him the best.

Just after their final season if I read the article correctly.

Interesting...I have never heard of this rule before at the service academies. Makes sense, though. One question: what's the penalty for not adhering? I mean let's say a senior offensive lineman on Navy is NFL draft worthy, what happens to him if he stays at 300lbs for the combine and whatnot? Or what if a guy is just there to "play football" not "play school/military" as a former Buckeye once suggested?

Interesting...I have never heard of this rule before at the service academies. Makes sense, though. One question: what's the penalty for not adhering? I mean let's say a senior offensive lineman on Navy is NFL draft worthy, what happens to him if he stays at 300lbs for the combine and whatnot? Or what if a guy is just there to "play football" not "play school/military" as a former Buckeye once suggested?

You can't go to a service academy to just "play football"

You can't go to a service academy to just "play football"

Ok - how about my first example then? What happens if you are an offensive lineman that will be a 1st round draft pick? Do you still have to 'make weight' after you graduate? This isn't antagonistic at all - after learning about the rule, I'm just curious.

Ok - how about my first example then? What happens if you are an offensive lineman that will be a 1st round draft pick? Do you still have to 'make weight' after you graduate? This isn't antagonistic at all - after learning about the rule, I'm just curious.
You have never been in the Military, you follow orders or face Courts Martial, the slimming program isn't optional. He could resign, but after your second year you still have a military obligation, which can be served as enlisted, he would have a year to make weight.

Just about anything is waiverable if the services have a need for your skills. I'd imagine the PR value of the players/teams would qualify as a need of the service. Nobody is going to get released from duty unless there are other issues or their playing days are over and they can't physically qualify.

Top Bottom