Field of 68 Projection (through Feb. 5)

Question for SS...from a resume standpoint do the Gophers want Michigan St to fall out of the top 50 RPI so their win % vs top 50 becomes better? It will obviously hurt their % in 51-100 but it almost seems like most places look at record vs top 50 and record vs top 100 as a whole.

I have a hard time keeping Hoosiers in, but their resume fits in with what is definitely a weak bubble. There's a lot of stink out there, which is good news for the resume the Gophers have already built. Gophers just need to tack on wins and not screw it up.

Really curious how the committee treats Indiana. They have two better non-conference wins (Kansas and UNC) than basically anyone in the country. Now they have season-ending injuries to two of their top players right in the middle of the season. Do they now get less credit for the early season wins? Do they get a bit of a grace period for a couple weeks to learn how to play without their studs, and if they can play some good ball at the end of the year that is weighted more heavily? I don't know. I would love to hear the committee debate Indiana.

Really curious how the committee treats Indiana. They have two better non-conference wins (Kansas and UNC) than basically anyone in the country. Now they have season-ending injuries to two of their top players right in the middle of the season. Do they now get less credit for the early season wins? Do they get a bit of a grace period for a couple weeks to learn how to play without their studs, and if they can play some good ball at the end of the year that is weighted more heavily? I don't know. I would love to hear the committee debate Indiana.

Is Blackmon out for the year? I haven't heard that. Have been expecting him back in time for game vs. the Gophers. If Gophers are any good, they should beat IU with or without Blackmon. Hoosiers just look like a dysfunctional team.

Question for SS...from a resume standpoint do the Gophers want Michigan St to fall out of the top 50 RPI so their win % vs top 50 becomes better? It will obviously hurt their % in 51-100 but it almost seems like most places look at record vs top 50 and record vs top 100 as a whole.

Depends on how you look at it. I'd prefer Sparty stays in the top 50. If the Gophers do end up on the bubble, their strongest arguments are going to be their top-100 wins (should be in the 11-12 neighborhood). Having 3 top-50 wins among those (if Arkansas, Purdue, Northwestern hang on) would still be solid, but most important is those 2 road wins vs. what are likely to be NCAA Tournament teams. Those wins don't grow on trees for bubble teams. Usually bubble teams have all/most of their best wins at home. That certainly won't be the case with the Gophers.

Not really confident in Northwestern. First half of their Big Ten schedule was extremely weak and I'll think they'll get exposed a bit during the back half.

10 wins in conference play will make them a lock. They have 7 right now. Still get Rutgers (at home) and Illinois 2 times (home and away). Plus 3 other home games. All they gotta do is beat Rutgers, beat Illinois at home, and then win one more game. That's a pretty smooth road. I'd be absolutely shocked if NW doesn't get to at least 10 B1G wins and easily make the NCAA tournament.

Is Blackmon out for the year? I haven't heard that. Have been expecting him back in time for game vs. the Gophers. If Gophers are any good, they should beat IU with or without Blackmon. Hoosiers just look like a dysfunctional team.

Agree we should be able to handle Indiana. And you are right Blackmon is not necessarily out for the year. Just have a feeling that even if he can come back this season he might not. Tore his ACL and sat out the final three months of last season, sat out a week with a knee issue earlier this season, now he's out indefinitely with another leg injury...just seems like it's all got to be adding up for him. If he's thinking NBA after this season it may be in his best interest to rest up and not risk another injury. Even if he does come back who knows for how long.

All I know is if we beat Iowa, I'll feel better and like our chances even more. We have a lot of winnable games left on our schedule. Just gotta get it done.

10 wins in conference play will make them a lock. They have 7 right now. Still get Rutgers (at home) and Illinois 2 times (home and away). Plus 3 other home games. All they gotta do is beat Rutgers, beat Illinois at home, and then win one more game. That's a pretty smooth road. I'd be absolutely shocked if NW doesn't get to at least 10 B1G wins and easily make the NCAA tournament.

This is incorrect. They do not get ILL at home and only Rutgers away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom