RIP Ray Christensen - Share Your Most Memorable Call by the Golden Voice!

Sid Hartman

Banned
Reaction score
RT @wccoradio: Sad news for the WCCO family this morning. We've learned legendary play-by-play man Ray Christensen has died. More coverage on air today.

Very sad indeed. He was an amazing play by play man and by every account, one of the nicest men to be around.

My favorite line from him was as the clock was winding down against UCLA in the Elite 8 in San Antonio, he said "THE ROAD TO INDIANAPOLIS IS NOW PAVED WITH GOLD!!!!"

RIP Ray, you are a legend.

Go Gophers!!

RT @wccoradio: Sad news for the WCCO family this morning. We've learned legendary play-by-play man Ray Christensen has died. More coverage on air today.

This sucks. I grew up listening to him call the road games when they weren't on TV which was often back then. He was the best ever.

Sad indeed. Ray was great. He didn't need to say the score for one to know whether the Gophers were ahead.
I like Bleed's quote. My favorite was when he said, "Lamanzer and Parc converge on the quarterback and make a Williams burger!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

So many fond memories of Ray calling football and basketball. He really could paint a picture. Boy did he hate Iowa too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Memorable Ray Christensen Calls

With sad news of Ray Christensen's passing today (other thread), I thought it would be fun to share some of his most memorable on air calls. Please give us your ONE all time favorite!

For me, it's the final play of the Penn State game in 1999. "The snap, the spot, and the kick... he got it away... It's good!! The clock says zero! And the Gophers have defeated the No 2 team in the country, 24-23!"

Darrel Thompson's 99 yard run against Michigan at the dome in 1987. It's printed verbatim in his book " Golden Memories ".

Very sad. I loved Ray and his Golden voice.

1986 at #2 Michigan his call of Chip Lohmiller's 30 yard field goal, with I think Dave Mona adding it's good. 20-17. Rest in Peace Ray.

Great guy, great announcer and he had a great run. He'll certainly rest in peace.

I don't think he is Resting In Peace...but rather having the time of his life in his new world. Awesome guy with an awesome voice that was very distinct and kept you glued to whatever was happening. No doubt for me a big highlight with him like many others was the 1986 Michigan game.

This is an extremely sad day. I know that sports are to have their place in the priorities pecking order, but I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that Ray Christensen’s calls were a part in my life. When I grew up in the 80s & early to mid 90s, just as more Gopher games were starting to get on TV. You’d get a handful of games by the mid 90s & increasing a little bit, but for so long, you’re relegated to having to listen to the game on ‘CCO. All the times driving to & from football games listening to Ray. And all the times driving to & from hockey games, listening to both football and basketball games. Sitting in the kitchen or in my bedroom, listening to his call.

In ’97 during the Clemson game, I was at a watch party. 1st half, I sat with everyone. 2nd half, got so intense that I snuck off to someone’s bedroom, put the game on the TV, turned down the sound, and then cranked up his stereo to 830 so I could hear Ray. We’re talking about his favorite calls. I have a ton of favorites, but that was one of my subtle little ones that I loved, when down 4 in the OT, and then the Gophers got a bucket, and Bobby J D’s it up with the steal. Hearing Ray call that entire play “All the way in TIEING IT UP. “

I hated Dave Lee with such a passion that I created my username after it. I do like what we got with Grimm. But Ray was in a class by himself. Thoughts & prayers to his family, along with all other Gophers fans that have such great memories of his voice and those moments just as I have had.

I wasn't listening at the time but a friend said you could hear the disbelief in his voice and perhaps picture the tears in his eyes as he called the Gophers road win at Ohio State - the first win there in his 50 years as a Gopher broadcaster.

The Gophers win at the shoe every year in heaven. RIP Ray.

To many great calls to really isolate one but I loved his moment after the Gophers beat Ohio State in the Horeshoe, he was truly emotional and you could tell it really meant something to him. Grew up listening to him call basketball games on the radio.

On a personal note I got the chance to speak briefly wth Ray a couple of times and was blown away that he remembered my name in between the two times that we met which were over a year apart.

I remember when the Gophers beat Ohio U 57-3 in 1982, Goldy Gopher couldn't do his pushups, so he laid on his back and did them against the air. For some reason, that memory has stuck with me, and it just not occurred to me that I didn't see it, I listened to it to Ray tell me about it on the radio.

I don't think there is a single call by Ray that sticks out. It is more just the comfort of hearing his voice. Still to this day I can picture myself in the car as a young boy with my dad knowing the Gophers were playing. RIP Ray - may we all shed some golden tears today.

I remember them playing Ray's voice over the PA system when they opened TCF.

He signed off his very last football game with "This is Golden Gopher Basketball."

Also, the Penn State win.

Basketball related...

I remember when the other team would dunk and celebrate, Ray would say something to the effect of "And __playername__ slams the ball for two, and celebrates by pointing to the crowd. Why must he perform these post-basket theatrics?!!"

He's said that right as the game was usually getting out of reach.

Listening to Ray call football games in the fall brings me back to hanging out and hunting with my Dad. We would listen to the games in his crappy old beat up truck, eat sandwiches my Mom made, and listen to Ray on the radio. He was awesome, so much so we wouldn't get back to hunting until the game was over. Great memories, makes me miss my father and now Ray. RIP Mr. Christensen. Thank you for being such a wonderful part of my life!

+1000 to all these posts on Ray.
Great voice. Really knew how to call a game.
Loved listening to him growing up.

What an icon in Gopher sports. Loved that he never did anything "half fast". Great story in his book.

During some bad loss I had to chuckle when he yelled "Would somebody learn how to tackle"!

You can't make that up.

Ray was so incredible to listen to, his voice and delivery were outstanding. Best memories were definitely the Ohio State and Penn State victories.

A true Minnesota legend, he will be missed but never forgotten!

So many great memories of listening to Ray Christensen. One that I will never forget is the basketball brawl vs. Ohio State in about '72. He said at least once, "I hate to see it." I was an eighth or ninth grader and marveled at how he handled that terrible situation with such grace. Things were always going to be OK when listening to Ray.

Sad to see him go. We've been lucky to have some good voices at the U, Christenson, Jules Perlt and Glen Sonmor to name a few.

Although I have to say I was a bit creeped out by Ray doing the Washburn McGreavey ads last year...sounded a little to close to the subject.

Top Bottom