Shama: Dad Wants Amir Coffey to ‘Step on Toes’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

“Amir is a team guy,” Richard said. “He’s not selfish. He’s going to try and make the right basketball play. He sees the ball really well. He has a high basketball I.Q.”

During an interview with Sports Headliners, Richard expressed approval of his son’s first-year performance. “I think he’s doing extremely well. I didn’t come in with a lot of expectations, because I didn’t want to put that pressure on him. I just wanted him to come in and learn his teammates, learn the coaching staff, learn the offense and try to use his skill-set as much as possible in the game. He’s done that. …”

The older Coffey was a warrior playing for the Gophers. His on-court demeanor as a rugged 6-6 rebounder and defender fit his background as a former Army airborne paratrooper. He led Minnesota in rebounding all four seasons from 1986-1990. It’s not surprising Richard believes a mental adjustment is what his son needs to be more consistent and elevate his play.

“(When) Amir steps on the court right now, sometimes he might be thinking that I am a freshman and I don’t want to step on anybody’s toes,” Richard said. “He needs to learn that he needs to step on some people’s toes to get to that next level. When you’re not aggressive, you’re not only not helping but in some cases you maybe hindering because of your skill-set. This team needs Amir to be aggressive to win.

“When I say aggressive, I don’t mean shoot. I mean having the ball, make a play with the ball and create something for yourself or your teammates.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Why do I find it strange a father would tell this tale about what's in his sons head? Maybe he could tell us what he was thinking before he stopped wetting the bed as a child.

Because as a father he was familiar with his sons thoughts just as you must be familiar with bed wetting to use it as a metaphor.

Why do I find it strange a father would tell this tale about what's in his sons head? Maybe he could tell us what he was thinking before he stopped wetting the bed as a child.

I take it you don't have a grown son.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he's just talking about his wish for Amir to have a little more confidence.

I think he's just talking about his wish for Amir to have a little more confidence.

Nicely put.

I was thinking of not embarrassing my son, but I should realize he may have been just talking and not expecting it put in print, but everything is today.

Coach Pitino has basically been saying the same thing. He wants Amir to be more aggressive and has given him the green light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach Pitino has basically been saying the same thing. He wants Amir to be more aggressive and has given him the green light.

Yes, and what many of us are thinking - he's doing great but will be even better as he becomes more confident. He makes good decisions on the court, he just needs to make more of them.

I have more trust with Amir having the ball in his hands than any other player on the team. His composure and basketball IQ as a freshman are off the charts. High character kid to boot...program changer.

I have more trust with Amir having the ball in his hands than any other player on the team. His composure and basketball IQ as a freshman are off the charts. High character kid to boot...program changer.

this.

I have been promoting high pressure, high temp basketball because that leads to transition opportunities for Amir Coffey who is great in that type of situation. McBrayer, Mason, Springs , and Curry are also good in transition, but not as good as Amir.

I think the team needs to find more ways to get the ball in Amir Coffey in half court situations, especially late shot clock situations. I think Coffey and Springs are the two that can carry this team to some greatness this year.

If Jordan Murphy can pull his head out his backside, and start being somewhere close to the player he was last yearthat would help as well. My apologies to him if he is injured, but he is about half the player he was last year.

I think the team needs to find more ways to get the ball in Amir Coffey in half court situations, especially late shot clock situations. I think Coffey and Springs are the two that can carry this team to some greatness this year.

If Jordan Murphy can pull his head out his backside, and start being somewhere close to the player he was last yearthat would help as well. My apologies to him if he is injured, but he is about half the player he was last year.

100% agree with this. I would like to see our 4 minute offense start with Amir and have options for Springs and Mason. I do worry a touch as Coffey has had 2 late game turnovers in back to back games now so he needs to make sure he's good with the ball.

As for Murphy I think he is still pressing a bit too much. He's a grinder who is trying to be a playmaker or sharpshooter. He needs to get back to what he does best (until the off season when he needs to work on that other stuff).

In order to be realistic about Amir's expectations, we need to be realistic about his skill set. He is great in the open court when he has space. If he can get a screen / a step on his guy in half court he can do some really nice things as well. However, his ball handling on the perimeter is a little clunky, and he has difficulty making quick lateral moves to beat his man. He really needs a screen to get a head of steam and from there make a play. I also have no idea why Pitino doesn't try to get him on the block in ISO more - the few times he's tried it we've had a lot of success given Amir's passing abilities. However, he is not a player you can give the ball to on the perimeter and expect him to go 1 on 1 and create a high percentage shot, he's simply not a good enough ball handler at this point. Would be wonderful for him to add that dimension in the coming years and would go a long way to elevating his NBA prospect status, because that is the big piece that is missing right now. I think he understands this about his game, and it shows a maturity about him that he doesn't try to force 1 on 1 situations very often.

coffey

Coffey has excellent ball handling for a 6-8 guy. His problem has more to do with a lack of strength when people body him up while he dribbles.

What one can do in the open court is very over-rated, especially in the big ten. What is that like 10-15% of plays?

Agree if a short guy is on Coffey posting up is an option.

In order to be realistic about Amir's expectations, we need to be realistic about his skill set. He is great in the open court when he has space. If he can get a screen / a step on his guy in half court he can do some really nice things as well. However, his ball handling on the perimeter is a little clunky, and he has difficulty making quick lateral moves to beat his man. He really needs a screen to get a head of steam and from there make a play. I also have no idea why Pitino doesn't try to get him on the block in ISO more - the few times he's tried it we've had a lot of success given Amir's passing abilities. However, he is not a player you can give the ball to on the perimeter and expect him to go 1 on 1 and create a high percentage shot, he's simply not a good enough ball handler at this point. Would be wonderful for him to add that dimension in the coming years and would go a long way to elevating his NBA prospect status, because that is the big piece that is missing right now. I think he understands this about his game, and it shows a maturity about him that he doesn't try to force 1 on 1 situations very often.

He and Springs are great decision makers with the ball. Springs is a senior; this guy a freshman!

Pressing Play will pick up next year!

He and Springs are great decision makers with the ball. Springs is a senior; this guy a freshman!

We gain two guards next year to replace Springs. This will give us the depth to really add more pressure, which should add to runouts which is part of Amir's game. We will be much better at pressure defense next year!

I have been promoting high pressure, high temp basketball because that leads to transition opportunities for Amir Coffey who is great in that type of situation. McBrayer, Mason, Springs , and Curry are also good in transition, but not as good as Amir.

I agree with all of this, but the problem is that we don't have enough depth to go high pressure and high tempo. I still think we could get out in transition more just by pushing the ball up the court faster. I want Coffey and McBrayer pushing the ball up as quickly as possible nearly every time they rebound. I would also like to see Mason push it up the floor more on rebounds or quick outlets. We have so many good transition players and a damn good defense. We need to take advantage, especially considering how stagnant our half court can get when we aren't attacking.

At the end of games we need to push the ball and look for Springs spotting up at the 3 pt line. He has been money at the close of halves. No reason Mason and Coffey can't push and drive to get fouled or feed Springs!

At the end of games we need to push the ball and look for Springs spotting up at the 3 pt line. He has been money at the close of halves. No reason Mason and Coffey can't push and drive to get fouled or feed Springs!

We all see what these players are capable of, but they're not anywhere near consistent about it. Coffey driving and dishing is a robust offense by itself, but they only run that sporadically. That's what Richard C. is talking about.

I think its going to be a process for Coffey to learn how to be more aggressive at this level without losing his knack for excellent shot selection. At this point he's not taking a lot of risks. At some point we may have to live through some sub-par (for him) shooting percentages as he works it out.

I think its going to be a process for Coffey to learn how to be more aggressive at this level without losing his knack for excellent shot selection. At this point he's not taking a lot of risks. At some point we may have to live through some sub-par (for him) shooting percentages as he works it out.

Excellent post, Moonlight...sometimes you need to fail to learn how to succeed.

Excellent post, Moonlight...sometimes you need to fail to learn how to succeed.

So true! And sometimes You've gotta be cruel to be kind, in the right measure
Cruel to be kind, it's a very good sign.

Top Bottom