Memorial Stadium home footage from 1971 game vs. Michigan

BarnBoy

Reaction score
Going through some old Super 8 footage from my parents and found this gem. Shot in 1971 with a hand-held 8mm camera. I did some digging and it looks like we lost the game to the #4-ranked Wolverines who ended up losing the Rose Bowl to Stanford.

Alright, old farts. Who was there?

BarnBoy,
Thanks for sharing this. I like seeing stuff like this.

Buck

Wow, we complain about sparse crowds today. Back then, the stadium looked about half full - and this was for the Little Brown Jug! Regarding the WI flag, it almost appears as if it may have been part of the half-time show. (maybe each flag of the Big Ten schools was paraded around)

Murray's last year. Gophers finish 4-7 with two of the wins over Iowa and Wisconsin.

Thanks for posting. Love these old videos. That stadium was before my time, glad we've got a new one. Also, call me a rebel, but I like those gold helmets.

Great video at the brickhouse. Reminds you of how far away from the action you were at that venue... Lots of space between the field and first row of seating.... the shallow angle of the seating /riser.

At 57 seconds, you are also reminded of the airplane's that circled the stadium the entire game with their banner advertising.....

Wow, we complain about sparse crowds today. Back then, the stadium looked about half full - and this was for the Little Brown Jug! Regarding the WI flag, it almost appears as if it may have been part of the half-time show. (maybe each flag of the Big Ten schools was paraded around)
You are correct, it was part of the halftime festivities. The band used to have flags from all of the Big 10 schools that they used in their shows.

My Dad took my brother and I and we had season tickets. He had become frustrated with the MW offence calling it 2 yards n a cloud of dust times 3 n punt.

The old Goldy look also back in those days.

The band looked sharper than our present version, but I am sure glad Goldy got an upgrade.

Notice the Gophers are on the sunny northside.

Passing hot chicks over our heads from about the 20th row up to the 40th. At time we had them moving like they were on a conveyor belt!:)

My first game! We sat in the bowl end up about 20 rows. The ushers in our section were Boy Scouts, and the head usher was the guy that looked and dressed like Colonel Sanders. Anyone else remember him?

In that case, I would have immediately set the banner on fire after being subjected to waving it publicly. Oh the humiliation!

Top Bottom