Updates on 2017 Commits, Washington and Harris

Finally someone said it. Washington is not starting over Mason next year. Project probably isn't the correct word as I associate that more with the raw, undeveloped skill set of some guys but Washington has a ways to go. He's flashy, he's exciting, but how will he handle crunch time in the big ten? Can he value the basketball in clutch spots? He's exciting, he's good but the projections that he's gonna start day 1 are pretty far out there.

It's not that far out there with the current makeup of the squad. He'll be in the rotation heavily for sure. It'll come down to how pitino wants to run the sub rotation. Washington is extremely confident with the ball in his hand, has great command of the dribble, only he and Mason possess that skill on the club. Will Pitino make the switch and move Mason to a 2 guard is essentially the question that will need to be answered and that will guide whether or not Washington starts or not. 70-80 minutes between the 3 of them with Mason playing 30+ would be my guess. Just might be 20 minutes as a non dominant pg.

Finally someone said it. Washington is not starting over Mason next year. Project probably isn't the correct word as I associate that more with the raw, undeveloped skill set of some guys but Washington has a ways to go. He's flashy, he's exciting, but how will he handle crunch time in the big ten? Can he value the basketball in clutch spots? He's exciting, he's good but the projections that he's gonna start day 1 are pretty far out there.
May not start over Mason, but will be another option so they can throw Mason on the bench when is playing like garbage. As for crunch time. No one on this team has shown to be able to handle crunch time. We'd have 4 more wins if we had that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Washington has talent for sure but at this point he's not a Tyus Jones, he can walk in and run your team, type PG. Especially when you have a senior captain and leading scorer there. His presence should help greatly as it can give Mason a real break AND allow him to shift to the 2 in spots but we have no clue if he can run an offer services for stretches or be effective in half court settings. Regarding Harris, if he can shoot at a high level, be in the right spots and make good decisions while not being overmatched athletically, he'll be a contributed.

It's not that far out there with the current makeup of the squad. He'll be in the rotation heavily for sure. It'll come down to how pitino wants to run the sub rotation. Washington is extremely confident with the ball in his hand, has great command of the dribble, only he and Mason possess that skill on the club. Will Pitino make the switch and move Mason to a 2 guard is essentially the question that will need to be answered and that will guide whether or not Washington starts or not. 70-80 minutes between the 3 of them with Mason playing 30+ would be my guess. Just might be 20 minutes as a non dominant pg.

I have no doubt that Washington is gonna get 15-20 minutes a game next year and yes there will be times when Mason shifts over to the 2. My comment is about how Washington is not starting at point over him to start the year. Didn't say the guy isn't gonna play

Yeah. I should clarify. He needs to be a major part of the rotation next year. Probably the 6th man off the bench. I like Mason as the backup 2 way more than I like McBrayer as the backup 1. It'll be nice to have that depth.

I anticipate we will see a lot of Mason at the two and Washington at point. Mason may start the game out at point with McBrayer at the two but we will see plenty of Washington and Mason on the court at the same time. Also love what Harris should bring as a shooter.

He's currently 83 - espn, 64 - 246 and scout - watched the latest video of him and he look thicker than 160 they have him at - he has long arms and great hand control. Mcbrayer most likely is the off guard behind mason not competing with mason/Washington at the point - I could see mcbrayer being the odd man out if mason moves over to being the primary shooting guard - I also like Coffey at the two making a big line up up that's hard to shoot over.

I love this kids game. We haven't had somebody like this in a while. He will be fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way will Mason be primary shooting guard. He is not a very good shooter and will get smoked trying to defend bigger guards.

Washington will get some good run as backup PG next year. Will see how he does with TOs and defense before projecting him as more than 10-15 min player.

Yea a big part of our defensive improvement is our increased length and now y'all want to put our smallest guard at the 2 for some reason.

I love this kids game. We haven't had somebody like this in a while. He will be fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Washington is going to turn some of these 'scratch-and-claw' ugly wins into cruise control blowout victories. This kid is going to bring us exactly what we need - elite offensive ability. Other posts have mentioned how we play better when we run fast and that is exactly what we're going to get - a whole new gear. And, incidentally, I think that style will make Dupree McBrayer find his true groove. It's going to be a lot of New York, New York flying around the barn next season!

Did anyone hear if Washington was at the game today? Did he interact with the team?

Last two paragraphs in the Strib's article today on Washington attending the game:

"Just watching all the guys playing together and being happy on the court with one another is a great experience," Washington said. "Everybody is one big family. They just want to push you to the next level."

Surprisingly, he had no comment on the lengthy Gopherhole discussion regarding the Mason/Washington starting, 1vs.2 question.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Washington's Senior Day... Some sweet moves at the end when the game starts.

Harris has an easy stroke and good range. Looking forward to getting him here!

per Sid:

• Isaiah Washington, reputed to be one of the best Gophers basketball recruits in years, is becoming quite a leader playing point guard at St. Raymond (N.Y.) High School, assistant coach Joseph Amelio told Rivals.com: “Several of Isaiah’s strengths are evident: the ball-handling, his court vision, and his midrange game is rapidly getting better. Upon his arrival at St. Raymond, I’m not sure if he knew what leadership meant at such a young age. What was once a weakness has now become a strength.”

http://www.startribune.com/thrills-build-as-gophers-basketball-team-continues-to-win/415165684/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

No way will Mason be primary shooting guard. He is not a very good shooter and will get smoked trying to defend bigger guards.

Washington will get some good run as backup PG next year. Will see how he does with TOs and defense before projecting him as more than 10-15 min player.

This, as a freshman coming into an established top team, expect the guys already proven to carry the load, and the newcomer to come in and contribute with solid backup minutes. If he gets more than 15 mpg assuming Mason and McBrayer are healthy, I'd be very surprised.

Well, I loved hearing that guy talk about how much we're going to love having him. I won't get into the discussion about what position he'll play or how many minutes or whether he'll start, because I trust Pitino knows way more than me and will figure out the way to use him that is best for the team. I'm just excited that he's coming here, and that Harris is coming and that they might contribute and help make the team deeper and maybe better than it already is.

I just keep thinking about those Louisville teams that legit had 2 PGs in starting lineup. If season plays out right way and the lineup works with Mason / Wash in starting lineup, look out

Pitino is going to have that problem Lou Nanne had with the old North Stars....too much talent

I just keep thinking about those Louisville teams that legit had 2 PGs in starting lineup. If season plays out right way and the lineup works with Mason / Wash in starting lineup, look out

The Shabazz Napier/Ryan Boatright guard duo worked out OK for UConn...

Lol at the announcers thinking the move is called the 'jelly fam'. As far as slang goes I thought even old dudes could decipher what 'fam' means

Top Bottom