Updates on 2017 Commits, Washington and Harris

I think both of our recruits will play big roles next for the Gophers. Harris is going to be a very nice 4 year shooter for us. Washington bring a totally different game then Mason, its going to be a lot of mixing and matching. I think ultimately the lineup next year will end as

Pg- Washington
Sg- Mason
Sf- Coffey
Pf- Fitzgerald
C- Lynch

6th- McBrayer
7- Murphy
8- Curry
9- Harris
10- Konate

That would be one hell of a rotation.

My guess:

PG - Mason
SG - McBrayer
SF - Coffey
PF - Curry
C - Lynch

2nd Line:

PG - Jelly Fam
SG - Harris
SF - Fitz
PF - Murph
C - Konate

I think both of our recruits will play big roles next for the Gophers. Harris is going to be a very nice 4 year shooter for us. Washington bring a totally different game then Mason, its going to be a lot of mixing and matching. I think ultimately the lineup next year will end as

Pg- Washington
Sg- Mason
Sf- Coffey
Pf- Fitzgerald
C- Lynch

6th- McBrayer
7- Murphy
8- Curry
9- Harris
10- Konate

The beauty of it is that Pitino can play all sorts of different lineups.

He could go Mason, Coffey, Fitz, Murphy, Lynch for some extra length as I think Fitz could potentially play around the perimeter decently. I could also see Curry getting some mix and match on positions as well.

Westbrook scored 57, 52, 52, during the 2004-05 season.

57 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Mesquite (2004-2005)
53 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Camelback (2004-2005)
52 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Desert Mountain (2004-2005)
52 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Paradise Valley (2004-2005)
47 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Brophy (2004-2005)

As a junior he averaged 40.1 ppg & 1.6 assists per game. He transferred his senior season vs. much better competition he averaged 19 ppg.

Pg- Washington
Sg- Mason
Sf- Coffey
Pf- Fitzgerald
C- Lynch

6th- McBrayer
7- Murphy
8- Curry
9- Harris
10- Konate

I don't disagree, but the last recruiting rating I saw had Harris at like 250, with a comment that he is the best shooter in the class. I saw his highlight reel, where no one ever misses, but his shot looked as pure as anyone we've had since Blake Hoffarber. I just don't get why such a good shooter could be that low in the ratings. Anyone know the recruiting world enough to give some insight?

I don't disagree, but the last recruiting rating I saw had Harris at like 250, with a comment that he is the best shooter in the class. I saw his highlight reel, where no one ever misses, but his shot looked as pure as anyone we've had since Blake Hoffarber. I just don't get why such a good shooter could be that low in the ratings. Anyone know the recruiting world enough to give some insight?

Likely because he's a 6'1 shooting guard.

57 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Mesquite (2004-2005)
53 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Camelback (2004-2005)
52 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Desert Mountain (2004-2005)
52 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Paradise Valley (2004-2005)
47 - Lawrence Westbrook vs Brophy (2004-2005)

As a junior he averaged 40.1 ppg & 1.6 assists per game. He transferred his senior season vs. much better competition he averaged 19 ppg.

Guess that 53 wasn't listed on the site I looked at or just missed it.

Was going to throw in a Norm Grow reference, but figured it's way too old school.

What are you guys thinking? A 2 year starter is going to move to the bench? I just don't see Murphy going away.

PG: Mason
SG: Coffey
SF: Fitzgerald
PF: Murphy
C: Lynch

^ this lineup is the only way I see Fitz cracking the first 5 and it leaves us really thin for shooters!

I see next year's depth chart like this:

PG: Mason/Washington
SG: McBrayer/Harris
SF: Coffey/Fitzgerald/Hurt
PF: Murphy/Curry
C: Lynch/Konate/Diedou

I give Gilbert 80% odds of transferring after the season. Diedou would, but I don't think he has anywhere to go.

I'm still hoping for my Illinois-Battle lineup!

PG: Coffey
SG: Fitzgerald
SF: Hurt
PF: Curry
C: Murphy

All players athletic and 6'6" or taller with range out to 3.

What are you guys thinking? A 2 year starter is going to move to the bench? I just don't see Murphy going away.

PG: Mason
SG: Coffey
SF: Fitzgerald
PF: Murphy
C: Lynch

^ this lineup is the only way I see Fitz cracking the first 5 and it leaves us really thin for shooters!

I see next year's depth chart like this:

PG: Mason/Washington
SG: McBrayer/Harris
SF: Coffey/Fitzgerald/Hurt
PF: Murphy/Curry
C: Lynch/Konate/Diedou

I give Gilbert 80% odds of transferring after the season. Diedou would, but I don't think he has anywhere to go.

I'm still hoping for my Illinois-Battle lineup!

PG: Coffey
SG: Fitzgerald
SF: Hurt
PF: Curry
C: Murphy

All players athletic and 6'6" or taller with range out to 3.

I got to comeback with your "what are you guys thinking?"

12 for 62 = .194

But, you did say, "out to 3", so I am probably out of line on the posting of Murphy's avg.

I got to comeback with your "what are you guys thinking?"

12 for 62 = .194

But, you did say, "out to 3", so I am probably out of line on the posting of Murpy's avg.

Out to, but not including in his case! He is there more for his 169 rebounds. Hurt's 3 pt % is similar, by the way.

I agree. He is at his best when he drives to the basket. Opens up the rest of his game. During his slump, he wasn't driving at all and not getting to the line. Needs to do that much more.

Not talking about driving ability - mason hits floaters well but I couldn't count the number of times he's missed closer to the rim (that stretch after Purdue was brutal)- mason does drive well and get fouled a lot (and has made a bunch of big free throws this year) I'm talking about the steph curry type of release when big guys at coming at you and getting "and ones". Washington has great hand control especially if you watch tape on him - whether or not he can Finish at big ten level is another matter.

People doing the grading might not like his athletic ability, or think he is not a great defender. To me as long if a player brings some elite trait that is a plus. Harris can absolutely stroke the ball and that is what this gophers team is going to need next year. Recruiting rankings also show love for the players that can put on a show. If you have the ability to throw down dunk after dunk there is a better chance he is getting a better ranking, because he has potential to put that athletic ability together.

The beauty of it is that Pitino can play all sorts of different lineups.

He could go Mason, Coffey, Fitz, Murphy, Lynch for some extra length as I think Fitz could potentially play around the perimeter decently. I could also see Curry getting some mix and match on positions as well.

I agree, Fitz would have been a huge piece for us this year because of his ability to play on the perimeter and down low. The offense would look much better if we could have a 4 that could catch and shoot to keep the defense honest. It makes better lanes for the guards penetrating the lanes. Its exciting thinking of the possibilities of Gopher basketball.

How is Fitz progressing in his recovery? Any one know?

I think Isaiah will be the best bench PG in the conference next year. Doubt he would unseat Mason or Mcbrayer as starters though.

Will also be interesting to see if Fitzgerald post ACL is better than sophomore Hurt or junior Gilbert. Thats the only question I have about the lineup next year.

PG: Mason, Washington
SG: Dupree, Harris
SF: Coffey, Fitz/Hurt/Gilbert
PF: Murphy, Curry
C: Lynch, Konate

All 5 starters should be better being a year older, Curry, Konate and the backup SF should all be better than last year. Washington replaces Spring's/Mcbrayer as the 6th man, instant offense guy, only difference is it comes from the PG spot instead of at the 2 guard. Harris gives us that other backup guard that we don't have this year which allows us to have a 10 man rotation.

Next year looks very promising I'm just hoping no one tears another ACL, gets into any legal or EOAA trouble, declares pro in Amir's case or transfers minus Diedhou. Nothing would surprise me though.

I think Isaiah will be the best bench PG in the conference next year. Doubt he would unseat Mason or Mcbrayer as starters though.

Will also be interesting to see if Fitzgerald post ACL is better than sophomore Hurt or junior Gilbert. Thats the only question I have about the lineup next year.

All 5 starters should be better being a year older, Curry, Konate and the backup SF should all be better than last year. Washington replaces Spring's/Mcbrayer as the 6th man, instant offense guy, only difference is it comes from the PG spot instead of at the 2 guard. Harris gives us that other backup guard that we don't have this year which allows us to have a 10 man rotation.

Next year looks very promising I'm just hoping no one tears another ACL, gets into any legal or EOAA trouble, declares pro in Amir's case or transfers minus Diedhou. Nothing would surprise me though.

Currry will start next year if he can learn to finish at the rim. Gilbert and Diedhou will transfer.

How is Fitz progressing in his recovery? Any one know?

Year and a half till full speed ( unless you are AP) it happened before with him - not enthusiastic about really helping team next year - maybe by end of season....

Diedhou Gets a American education for free - don't see him voluntarily transferring ...

It would be very difficult for Diedhou to transfer, he would have to have the destination school set up and enrolled pretty quickly, with one year of eligibility I don't see it happening voluntarily or otherwise.

Together

I just look forward to not losing anyone but Springs for next year. Odds are that one of McBrayer, Washington, Fitzgerald, Hurt or Harris fills the hole as a three point threat.
JMO I don't see any one of those guys replacing Springs. But together they can hopefully equal or surpass the production and be threats to the opposing defense.
You can add Gilbert as of now to that list too. Coffey as well.
McBrayer could step up. Washington I haven't seen shoot enough...he's got the confidence. Fitzgerald was a shooter at one time I think..injuries have evidently made into a different player....not sure about him either. Hurt doesn't have the mentality. Harris, I think is a hard worker and will be a shorter version of Hurt...love to be wrong. Gilbert can't guard anybody...but he can shoot some. Coffey could add more 3's to his game...I could see that happening.

I will bet a lot Washington starts over McBrayer and Mason is a two guard. Washington is too good to sit on the bench when the starting lineups are announced. Too highly recruited. Might be like Springs, but he'll start 100% at some point. imo

IF Amir goes pro he got very very bad advice.

I don't see the silky natural flowing pretty shot in the video I watched, that you guys see. Obviously we all look for different things. If he can fill it up and he scores 4 3's in a HS game for 12 points...there isn't much to his game and he likely has the Michael Hurt mentality of being happy to be on the team. Versus take over the game. Jelly ain't takin' no backseat to anybody. Harris doesn't have that mentality....which is fine. I just don't see Harris making an impact as a freshman. (Haven't really seen him play...just going on the intuition of what I do see.

I don't see the silky natural flowing pretty shot in the video I watched, that you guys see. Obviously we all look for different things. If he can fill it up and he scores 4 3's in a HS game for 12 points...there isn't much to his game and he likely has the Michael Hurt mentality of being happy to be on the team. Versus take over the game. Jelly ain't takin' no backseat to anybody. Harris doesn't have that mentality....which is fine. I just don't see Harris making an impact as a freshman. (Haven't really seen him play...just going on the intuition of what I do see.

The first thing I thought watching harris's mix tape was what a good looking three point shot he has. He form is better than any shooter the gophers have had since hoffarber. Patino must have wanted him pretty badly, having him sign before French had his visit to the U. As far as his mentality, unless you've seen/ heard something that hasn't been posted it would be great to hear about it.

Your constant references to Gilbert as a shooter renders this analysis kind of moot?

This was just posted earlier today. Excited to see him next year! Jelly Fam!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2m5XXhOBEA

Washington has great upside but he will be a project. There is no way he takes the starting position from Mason as the PG. His 2016 AAU stats were nothing spectacular. 30% from three, 37% overall. TO's were an issue against better competition.

He looks exciting for a high school all-star type game, but he just looks out of control for parts of this video. You don't want to take all the flash out of his game, but it will be interesting to see how he adjusts to high level B10 play.

Washington has great upside but he will be a project. There is no way he takes the starting position from Mason as the PG. His 2016 AAU stats were nothing spectacular. 30% from three, 37% overall. TO's were an issue against better competition.

He looks exciting for a high school all-star type game, but he just looks out of control for parts of this video. You don't want to take all the flash out of his game, but it will be interesting to see how he adjusts to high level B10 play.

Finally someone said it. Washington is not starting over Mason next year. Project probably isn't the correct word as I associate that more with the raw, undeveloped skill set of some guys but Washington has a ways to go. He's flashy, he's exciting, but how will he handle crunch time in the big ten? Can he value the basketball in clutch spots? He's exciting, he's good but the projections that he's gonna start day 1 are pretty far out there.

Top Bottom