Let the Seth Green Era Begin!

Does Croft go through his progressions, or is he just a one-read QB? I think that will be a greater emphasis with this staff.

It is real hard to judge who will be our future based upon the QB play in the past. The Kill/Claeys system had no confidence in the passing game and only passed when the had to. The new system will be more pro passing with an emphasis on developing WR's. Hasn't Croft been the more natural passer? He may surprise us and fit the new system better than the bigger, stronger QB's. How was Rhoda as a passer in high school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first part of your post is simply not true.

As far as Rhoda in HS, he was ok. He split time with an underclassmen who was supposed to be the next big thing (Ricardo Johnson III), who never grew. He has a big arm and he was actually a really good HS baseball player. In HS, he wasn't the most accurate passer.

He was a decent athlete, he had a big arm, and he was smart.

Does Croft go through his progressions, or is he just a one-read QB? I think that will be a greater emphasis with this staff.

That's hard to say. He only played as a true freshman and that is almost impossible for any true freshman (outside of the great ones).

I'd have to say that I doubt we have a QB on the roster who is capable of this right now, hopefully it is something the new staff can develop.

Seth Green has all the tools but he's always been an inaccurate passer. That's a tough thing to overcome.

I think if Rhoda is our starter next year we are in serious trouble.

I'm guessing Croft to start the year. I still have high hopes for him and don't exactly get why people are writing him off.

Have high expectations for Morgan but hope we can redshirt him.

It wouldn't necessarily be the QB that is the biggest problem on offense next year.

We've got a decimated O-Line. Which ball catcher(s) will emerge?

Rhoda did well against Maryland last year. In case Croft, Green, and Morgan, and McLaurin don't step up right away we have a backup that at east have some game experience.

They need help in the MASH unit of the offensive line. With only six healthy linemen, they ought to look at who is unsigned out there or graduate transfers.

It wouldn't necessarily be the QB that is the biggest problem on offense next year.

Rhoda did well against Maryland last year. In case Croft, Green, and Morgan, and McLaurin don't step up right away we have a backup that at east have some game experience.

They need help in the MASH unit of the offensive line. With only six healthy linemen, they ought to look at who is unsigned out there or graduate transfers.

You might want to rewatch that game.

Well, the thread was generally about qbs. That said, I don't think the oline situation is quite as dire as the new coach is making it out to be , with the possible exception of center.

We actually have seven QBs listed:

Tanner Morgan 6-2 175 FR
Mark Williams 6-0 190 RS FR
Demry Croft 6-5 200 JR
Rey Estes 6-0 170 FR
Neil McLaurin 6-2 195 FR
Conor Rhoda 6-3 215 RS SR
Seth Green 6-4 235 RS FR

Did I miss something? Isn't Croft a RS sophomore?

Obviously Morgan will be the starter... if we adopt his HS playbook.

New playbook and coaches for all the QBs. Ability to pick it up may determine the starter.

I think if Rhoda is our starter next year we are in serious trouble.

I'm guessing Croft to start the year. I still have high hopes for him and don't exactly get why people are writing him off.

Have high expectations for Morgan but hope we can redshirt him.

Agree with all 3 points.

The first part of your post is simply not true.

As far as Rhoda in HS, he was ok. He split time with an underclassmen who was supposed to be the next big thing (Ricardo Johnson III), who never grew. He has a big arm and he was actually a really good HS baseball player. In HS, he wasn't the most accurate passer.

He was a decent athlete, he had a big arm, and he was smart.

Thanks for the info on Rhoda. If you don't think passing was not a point of emphasis during Kills tenure then you must not have watched the games to see the Run Up the Middle offense.

He better be a way better passer than Gray. I always thought they should have left him at WR and stopped with the wildcat and flipping positions. I'm wagering heavily on Green or Morgan as the QB. There is a decent chance mclaurin gets on the field for some gimmicky stuff.

I won't be that worried if Green beats out Rhoda or Croft. Fleck's passing offense is set up to be simple for the QB and to put him in high success situations.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/19/13577022/pj-fleck-coach-western-michigan-wmu

I actually think both Rhoda and Croft are pretty well suited for this...not that worried about the QB position.

Yes he's a RS soph

Thanks for the info on Rhoda. If you don't think passing was not a point of emphasis during Kills tenure then you must not have watched the games to see the Run Up the Middle offense.

I think we definitely ran the ball a lot. I was also at the games when tried passing the ball a lot on early downs and things went horribly. I was at the Iowa game this year where we lost 14-7 and threw the ball 33 times despite running it pretty well and having a 4th quarter lead. I firmly believe that we beat Iowa if we ran the ball more.

We ran the ball a lot because we couldn't pass the ball. Our QB and receiver play was atrocious. I have no problem blaming Pat Poore, Limegrover, and Kill for their inability to develop a QB.

From what I've read, Fleck's system at WMU was about 50-50 run-pass, and featured a lot of quick passes based on the QB reading the defense and getting the ball to the right spot. Sounds like the QB did not run many designed plays - more on scramble situations.

So, the big question is which of the QB's on the roster is best suited to run that type of system. Again, based on what I've read, it sounds like Fleck has a very specific system, and looks for players who fit that system. There is no inherent advantage for the returning QB's who played in a very different system. Also, it sounds like Fleck puts a big emphasis on QB's being accurate.

So, assuming that running is not as important for the QB, I will speculate that Rhoda is the starter for the season opener - but who really knows?

From what I've read, Fleck's system at WMU was about 50-50 run-pass, and featured a lot of quick passes based on the QB reading the defense and getting the ball to the right spot. Sounds like the QB did not run many designed plays - more on scramble situations.

So, the big question is which of the QB's on the roster is best suited to run that type of system. Again, based on what I've read, it sounds like Fleck has a very specific system, and looks for players who fit that system. There is no inherent advantage for the returning QB's who played in a very different system. Also, it sounds like Fleck puts a big emphasis on QB's being accurate.

So, assuming that running is not as important for the QB, I will speculate that Rhoda is the starter for the season opener - but who really knows?

I think that Corey Davis would make most QB's look somewhat accurate. That guy made Terrell look good in a lot of situations. He can go get a ball. (Sorry, off thread a little)

I think that Corey Davis would make most QB's look somewhat accurate. That guy made Terrell look good in a lot of situations. He can go get a ball. (Sorry, off thread a little)

Corey Davis is elite but they also had 2 other WRs that combined for over 100 receptions and 1400 yards.

I'm just glad to have Green in the mix again.

No idea who wins out but I'm cheering for McLaurin if only because he has some experience.

I think it will be a free for all competition, with the QB felt to be most comfortable in the "system" following the fall practice getting the nod. True freshmen included.

Also glad Green is back to compete for the chance to win that spot.

I wonder if it will be down to four by fall camp. I think there's a chance McLaurin leaves over the summer. Just a gut feeling, though...

The only thing is since he's enrolled I believe he'd lose a year of eligibility. I am not 100% positive on that, especially if Minnesota was willing to let him go.

That said, I've been wondering the same thing. At the National Signing Day Social Fleck made a point of saying how he doesn't like signing JuCo players (made an exception with one) and basically said he knew nothing of McLaurin and that the previous regime had signed him. I definitely got the feeling McLaurin probably isn't the most welcome guy. If I heard my new head coach say something like that I'd be in his office asking where I stood the next day. Maybe it came off bad and was completely innocent but I really got the impression if Fleck had his way McLaurin wouldn't be there.

I think it will be a free for all competition, with the QB felt to be most comfortable in the "system" following the fall practice getting the nod. True freshmen included.

Agreed on the free for all, there is like nothing to indicate anyone would have an edge.

I'm thinking the only edge goes to guys who have some experience like McLovin... er McLaurin. But that could vanish the moment someone else starts to look good.

Someone will emerge as the heir apparent for the starting position at QB. And like PJF said, it is wide open competition.

One thing is certain. Sooner or later we will have a pretty potent passing attack with PJF being a former WR.

If the passing game continues to improve and the running game remain pretty decent, I don't see why the Gophers cannot challenge the usual suspects for the B1G West title.

Open competition, but they seem to want a quick release, accurate passer. My early picks would be Rhoda and Morgan. I hope JUCO QB switches over to D-back if he loses out in the competition. Same for the kid from East St. Louis. They both look like blazers!

Pretty sure the coaches will head to spring ball with things wide open and then over the course of the spring start to form a depth order heading into fall camp. All the QB's on the roster will come in with a blank slate with these coaches so it should be a lot of fun to see if anyone can start to set themselves up as the go to guy.

For the sake of the team hopefully a clear cut option at starter emerges sooner rather than later but won't know till they hit the field and show the coaches what they can do in the offense.

The hard part about the open competition, will be getting all of them the proper amount of reps.
What will really differentiate them this spring will be how quickly they can pick up the offense and what progressions they are to make on a certain play along with getting the ball out on time. Accuracy will also be key, but in the spring with so many QB's to get reps and with all the different receivers, it will be hard to get the timing down with those WR's.

Should be a very interesting spring practice schedule. Hopefully by the end they have a clear #1 and a couple others who are battling it out for the key back up role.

Open competition, but they seem to want a quick release, accurate passer. My early picks would be Rhoda and Morgan. I hope JUCO QB switches over to D-back if he loses out in the competition. Same for the kid from East St. Louis. They both look like blazers!

If that being the case then I give the edge to Croft. He's got a very quick accurate arm in immediate throws. Deep balls, not as much. But he's been around, cool, composed, has started, can run out of a blitz our beat up line will give, and think that gives him more than others.

If that being the case then I give the edge to Croft. He's got a very quick accurate arm in immediate throws. Deep balls, not as much. But he's been around, cool, composed, has started, can run out of a blitz our beat up line will give, and think that gives him more than others.
I don't know remember him ever starting.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Top Bottom