Let the Seth Green Era Begin!

Morgan will obviously be the long term starter barring something weird.

There is nothing obvious about that. Why? Simply because Fleck recruited him?

Personally I think Seth and Demry both have a better chance to be the long term guy and I'm also not sold that Morgan is better than any QB we've recruited before. I'm about as excited for Morgan as I was about DRM and Streveler when they came in.

I guess where I come in on this is first the process of elimination. Like many have said, Estes in no way is ever playing QB here. Williams and McLautin were both projected QB'a in a run first read option attack. I would be shocked if either plays at QB during their time here. Williams will be a WR after his situation settles and McLaurin is unfortunately a guy who has been put into an unideal situation for him. He's just not a great fit going forward now. Unless he can play another position, doubt we ever see him on the field.

So that leaves the four "obvious" candidates. Morgan, Green, Croft, and Rhoda. Personally, I'd really like to see Morgan RS. No doubt in my mind he's the most talented one of the four but is he ready? Early enrollee helps a bit but still a big task for a true freshman.

Whoever wins out, they are in a good situation in terms of they have two reallly nice running backs to take the load off.

The passing attack this year is going to be pretty simple IMO. I know it's cliche but as the staff settles in with a new system, they're going to try and make the passing game as easy as possible especially since they don't have an obvious starter ready to take control waiting in the wings. It's going to be about simple routes and simple reads and whoever can be the most accurate AND not turn the ball over will eventually win the job.

I guess where I come in on this is first the process of elimination. Like many have said, Estes in no way is ever playing QB here. Williams and McLautin were both projected QB'a in a run first read option attack. I would be shocked if either plays at QB during their time here. Williams will be a WR after his situation settles and McLaurin is unfortunately a guy who has been put into an unideal situation for him. He's just not a great fit going forward now. Unless he can play another position, doubt we ever see him on the field.

So that leaves the four "obvious" candidates. Morgan, Green, Croft, and Rhoda. Personally, I'd really like to see Morgan RS. No doubt in my mind he's the most talented one of the four but is he ready? Early enrollee helps a bit but still a big task for a true freshman.

Whoever wins out, they are in a good situation in terms of they have two reallly nice running backs to take the load off.

The passing attack this year is going to be pretty simple IMO. I know it's cliche but as the staff settles in with a new system, they're going to try and make the passing game as easy as possible especially since they don't have an obvious starter ready to take control waiting in the wings. It's going to be about simple routes and simple reads and whoever can be the most accurate AND not turn the ball over will eventually win the job.

Performance will of course matter, but I think that McLaurin has played... should help his cause.

Performance will of course matter, but I think that McLaurin has played... should help his cause.

At the signing social he was overtly dismissed by Fleck. I would guess they switch him to WR.
Fleck gushed about Morgan's ability and particularly his "gym rat" mentality. I would bet he sees the field sooner rather than later.

I feel like Fleck wants Morgan to be "the man" for the program. He has already bought into his culture and Fleck trusts him. I could see it playing out one of two ways. If Morgan is about on the same level as the rest, he will start as a true freshman. Rhoda is the insurance policy - if Morgan is determined to absolutely need a redshirt year, Rhoda will hold the place as we win 5-7 games. Green and Croft will have to absolutely blow Fleck away with their performance to start - the Juco has no chance unless he's the second coming of Cam Newton.

I don't think Fleck will sit a guy deserving of playing, but he definitely wants a "Fleck-ite" as his QB.

I feel like Fleck wants Morgan to be "the man" for the program. He has already bought into his culture and Fleck trusts him. I could see it playing out one of two ways. If Morgan is about on the same level as the rest, he will start as a true freshman. Rhoda is the insurance policy - if Morgan is determined to absolutely need a redshirt year, Rhoda will hold the place as we win 5-7 games. Green and Croft will have to absolutely blow Fleck away with their performance to start - the Juco has no chance unless he's the second coming of Cam Newton.

I don't think Fleck will sit a guy deserving of playing, but he definitely wants a "Fleck-ite" as his QB.

Seems plausible.

Funny thing is though was the story about how Fleck initially passed on a QB at WMU because he didn't think the guy bought into the Fleck program.... but later warmed up to him.

Hopefully all the QB's enrolled now will put some time in with all the WR's enrolled now, to establish some chemistry going into spring ball.

Why? I would hope that McLaurin would start if he was simply better than Croft, Green or Morgan. There is a wide gulf between that bar and Cam Newton.

Brought in Cameron Thomas as his recruit the first year at WMU. The guy hardly ever played. Settled on a QB who was already there in Terrell.

I think Goff was about 6-4, 200 when he was a freshman starter at Cal.

Depending on where you look, Lamar Jackson is 6'3, 205 or 6'4, 205. He's not real thick either. There are a lot of QBs who are not real big in college football who do just fine.

I agree with most that Rhoda would be very disappointing. He has almost no shot, IMO. The only reason I give him any is if Morgan isn't ready and the coaches don't want to put green or Croft out there for 1 year to pull the job away and give it Morgan in 2018. But I would sure assume the desire to win would trump the desire to not bruise egos

Morgan will obviously be the long term starter barring something weird. The only question is will it be 2017?

Croft is the complete unknown. Relatively touted ckming in. Literally got thrown on the field like a sacrificial lamb his freshman year. He looked like a fawn in the headlights. Has the kid gotten any stronger? Every time he went back to pass I was afraid he would get snapped in half.

Green is our favored local son who was undoubtedly overrated in MN. Hopefully a couple years working with different college systems has helped him a lot. One big advantage he has is having practiced and/or played in 4 different offenses in 4 years. That could give him the jump as far as picking things up quickly. I'd love to see him win the job and Morgan RS. I just wonder if the coaches would want 2 years of Green vs Morgan after that.

I'm sure there will be some loyalty with fleck. I'm also sure the guy wants to win every game and will do whatever he thinks it takes to do so.

Why would Green be two years and then Morgan? If Green or Croft were to start for two years, they would probably start their final 2 or 1, respectively. Green has 4 years of eligibility, Croft 3.

I don't know how people have eliminated any of the quarterbacks because none of us have seen any of them play hardly at all. What we do know is that Morgan and Croft each were probably the most positively regarded coming in as passers, but at a whole different level. Green was inaccurate in high school, but no one has really seen him play in a year. No one has seen Rhoda really play at this level as they didn't turn him loose in that one game, and Estes looks great in highlight films (of course). McLaurin - who knows, he's an athlete who probably throws it better than anyone here is giving him credit for. Johnson wasn't stupid, and recruited him. So, who knows - will be fun to see, but there is nothing really to base a favorite on, or even say someone stands no chance. The one thing I do believe is that Fleck will be like every other coach out there. He will play who he thinks will give the team the best chance to win, not who bought into his culture as a recruit.

If that's the case, he would be in ICU in the first couple weeks! He looked so thin his freshman year. I've never seen a QB with that build before.

One of my favorite boxers back in the day was Thomas Hearns. He was just so much taller than everyone else in his weight class. When he won the welterweight title, he was 6'1" and 147 pounds.

One of my favorite boxers back in the day was Thomas Hearns. He was just so much taller than everyone else in his weight class. When he won the welterweight title, he was 6'1" and 147 pounds.

Hearns is one of my favorites of all time too! Early in his career, he ad fights at 135 lbs (still 6'1"). It's insane.

Why? I would hope that McLaurin would start if he was simply better than Croft, Green or Morgan. There is a wide gulf between that bar and Cam Newton.

Very true - just my thoughts/prediction. I could be wrong. Personally I hope the best guy gets the job (obviously) but I just have gotten the impression that Fleck would prefer Morgan to take the reigns if possible. I guess McLaurin could replace Rhoda in my initial prediction.

Whoever it is, we are going to be VERY run heavy next year. One, PJ likes to control the ball and the clock, two RB is a position of strength on this team and three the QB is be inexperienced with a stable of unproven WR's.

This thread has now reached laughable levels. I will laugh out loud when McLaurin is named the game 1 starter because he's got the most game experience and is older. He has no less a chance being a starter than anyone on the roster.

Seems like he is persona non grata here on GopherHole, which usually means will be starting.

And Williams will be a WR because of depth and "his problem". Or he might end up as the back up in 2018. Whew.

I'm just excited to have Lingen and hopefully another Tight End out there to make whomever is the Qb's job easier.

Whoever it is, we are going to be VERY run heavy next year. One, PJ likes to control the ball and the clock, two RB is a position of strength on this team and three the QB is be inexperienced with a stable of unproven WR's.

His offenses have been pretty 50/50/ run/pass. I expect the same this year. QB will be fine, his passing offense is geared towards easy reads through pre-snap motion out of a spread formation (no, he doesn't really run a spread offense) that put the QB in very high success passing situations.

We'll be fine. PJ just needs the threat of a successful pass offense. Eight regular season wins.

Top Bottom