All Things EOAA, Investigation, Suspension, Overturned Etc. Thread: UPDATED 1 Thread

Really. You may hate the guy, but his quotes are placed in a frame. For whatever reason, the pioneer press has made this situation there cause, and not in a good way. It is downright yellow journalism.

Kaler needs a smaller shovel. He is doing himself no favors.

Kaler needs a smaller shovel. He is doing himself no favors.

I have to agree with you based on your link. And I really don't want to. Man, oh man. I wish I could unsee that. Thank you, and not.

So, PW one beer. spoofing, one beer. Tiki, a Sprite. This thread is costing me about 30 bucks.

Rather, they decide behavior issues (right or wrong)/(acceptable or not acceptable) according to the moral code as written by the Board of Regents.
And agreed to by every student enrolled. If the students have a problem with the process, they should have elected to attend a different institution.

joining the thread late so sorry if this was already said. I think this appeal will blow up into something huge nationally. I expect if the results continue to look like a one sided affair their will be some big time national lawyers involved. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Farakan(so?), Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton involved. In the end I expect it bring enough embarrassment to the university to cause Kaler and his puppet to lose their jobs.

And agreed to by every student enrolled. If the students have a problem with the process, they should have elected to attend a different institution.

Again, you can't sign away your constitutional rights.

joining the thread late so sorry if this was already said. I think this appeal will blow up into something huge nationally. I expect if the results continue to look like a one sided affair their will be some big time national lawyers involved. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Farakan(so?), Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton involved. In the end I expect it bring enough embarrassment to the university to cause Kaler and his puppet to lose their jobs.

Kaler needs serious cover on this...My guess would be that the original 4 are gone and the others have suspensions repealed. Maybe some end up with probation.

At the beginning, I never thought that could be possible. But if the outcome from the appeals process is as badly handled as the lead up to it, anything could happen.

Again, you can't sign away your constitutional rights.

Yes, you can. There may be some big problems with due process in this instance, but college students sign away some measure of their rights when they enroll and agree to the Student Code of Conduct. Coaches can institute an even higher code of conduct. That may not apply here, but there's a lot of case law on the limitation of constitutional rights (mainly freedom of speech) in education institutions.

There is also this quote from the Strib

On Friday, Kaler appeared to shrug off the criticism.

“That comes with the territory,” he said. “If you don’t have thick skin and can’t weather a storm, then you can’t be an effective university president.

“In this particular case, we made all the right decisions,” he continued. “We wound up with a new football coach who will be tremendous. And we’ve stood up for the victims of sexual violence. If I get fired for standing up for victims of sexual violence, then so be it.”

http://www.startribune.com/kaler-u-...n-suspending-players-firing-claeys/409947195/

Does anyone know how the APR scores would be affected if students are expelled?

There is also this quote from the Strib

On Friday, Kaler appeared to shrug off the criticism.

“That comes with the territory,” he said. “If you don’t have thick skin and can’t weather a storm, then you can’t be an effective university president.

“In this particular case, we made all the right decisions,” he continued. “We wound up with a new football coach who will be tremendous. And we’ve stood up for the victims of sexual violence. If I get fired for standing up for victims of sexual violence, then so be it.”

http://www.startribune.com/kaler-u-...n-suspending-players-firing-claeys/409947195/

One: No one has been found guilty of sexual violence yet. Not through he legal process, not through the EOAA report. Mr. Kaler, once again just called 10 kids out for rape, outside of any form of due process. Are you really this stupid (and yes, I do expect most if not all of them to be upheld include the one in the report that shows they didn't actually break any of the code of conduct rules as outlined in the summary in the report)?

Two: If you'd taken steps to suspend the five players that were involved in September indefinitely I'd buy you were not tolerating players being associated with sexual assault and standing up for the alleged victims rights and dignity for the accuser. But you didn't to that, did you?

Three: You won't be fired for standing up for victims of sexual violence.

Four: You will be fired for gross misconduct. For the length of time and the circumstances it took to bring you to the lofty position you, and you alone see yourself in, and for your inability to just STFU already. You seem to have zero clue how much damage you're doing to the University and your chances of getting away with firing Claeys and saying - see, we fixed it.

Five: In your defense, it will only be because of the very, very, very large checks that the University writes to undo the damage you've done.

Kaler's farewell interviews are shaping up to be far more pathetic than Claeys'

One: No one has been found guilty of sexual violence yet. Not through he legal process, not through the EOAA report. Mr. Kaler, once again just called 10 kids out for rape, outside of any form of due process.

Two: If you'd taken steps to suspend the five players that were involved in September indefinitely I'd buy you were not tolerating players being associated with sexual assault and standing up for the alleged victims rights and dignity for the accuser. But you didn't to that, did you?

Three: You won't be fired for standing up for victims of sexual violence.

Four: You will be fired for gross misconduct. For the length of time and the circumstances it took to bring you to the lofty position you, and you alone see yourself in.

Five: In your defense, it will only be because of the very, very, very large checks that the University writes to undo the damage you've done.

Kaler's farewell interviews are shaping up to be far more pathetic than Claeys'

And those checks are getting larger with every quote out of this buffoons mouth.

Does anyone know how the APR scores would be affected if students are expelled?

Yes, their individual grades and scores will be removed from the population of grades and scores at the next calculation point.
Hows that?

Yes, their individual grades and scores will be removed from the population of grades and scores at the next calculation point.
Hows that?

If someone flunks out it is still used against your APR. If someone is struggling with grades, you can't just kick them off the team for some "team rule violation" and have their grades removed from the equation. I'm not sure how it would work in a case like this either. Do you know the above to be true or are you assuming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone flunks out it is still used against your APR. If someone is struggling with grades, you can't just kick them off the team for some "team rule violation" and have their grades removed from the equation. I'm not sure how it would work in a case like this either. Do you know the above to be true or are you assuming?

No idea... I took the question to be sarcastic, but I may have erred....But, given that the population of players is well over 100, if 4-5 players had grade issues, I'd think that the overall effect would be negligible... Furthermore, I don't believe that grades are at issue for these few kids. Grad rate could be at issue.... but if some leave of their own volition with grades in good standing, I don't see how that can be counted.

No idea... I took the question to be sarcastic, but I may have erred....But, given that the population of players is well over 100, if 4-5 players had grade issues, I'd think that the overall effect would be negligible... Furthermore, I don't believe that grades are at issue for these few kids.

Agree with all of that. No word that grades are issues. I was sincerely wondering if your post was how it works. I may have missed sarcasm in the original post. I don't like sarcasm.

whether you are suspended for any reason at school a doesn't matter to school b (with the exception of the same school system, like mnscu).

Art Briles might not agree with that anymore......

No idea... I took the question to be sarcastic, but I may have erred....But, given that the population of players is well over 100, if 4-5 players had grade issues, I'd think that the overall effect would be negligible... Furthermore, I don't believe that grades are at issue for these few kids. Grad rate could be at issue.... but if some leave of their own volition with grades in good standing, I don't see how that can be counted.

It was a serious question as I don't know how it works on expelled players. Our scores have been pretty outstanding the last few years. Would be upsetting to see it drop.

It was a serious question as I don't know how it works on expelled players. Our scores have been pretty outstanding the last few years. Would be upsetting to see it drop.

Agree. The transformation after the Kill hire was much needed.

Joined GopherHole to comment about ten suspended players.

After visiting and just reading GopherHole for several years, I decided to register in order to make comments because of the posts of those active here regarding the ten suspended Gopher football players. Several things really bother me about what has been written about the subject:
1. First of all, I cannot think of a setting more poorly positioned for rational discussion of the very complex issues involved in these matters. The forum allows for anyone to say anything regardless of facts and laws, known or unknown. For example, if someone were to read the EEOC report carefully, one could easily see exactly each one of the ten individuals was and what was reported about their behavior. A. Winfield, for example, was a "hero" in this situation because he gave testimony that revealed several other players had lied about not being in the apartment and about not having harassed the female cheerleader by shouting remarks and blinking the lights while she was having sex.
2. Only four of the players were said to have engaged in sexual assault as defined by the student handbook. The instigator of the situation, Djam, was not found guilty of sexual assault but was kicked out of the university because he sent videos of himself and the recruit having sex with the cheerleader to his friends without her permission. Djam also enabled the recruit to be involved in the matter.
3. Four of the remaining five players were found to have engaged in sexual harassment of the cheerleader, mostly based on Winfield's testimony. The fifth was found guilty of lying to the EEOC investigators.
4. The state of Minnesota has laws governing sexual assault and the University of Minnesota has policies regarding sexual assault. The laws and policies are different, as are the procedures used to enforce them. Both approaches can fail miserably--see the Baylor University situation--but they only way to remedy errors is to work to change the systems. My daughter, a graduate of the U of M law school, has worked to get hundreds of thousands of untested rape kits tested all over the country. Many, many jurisdictions collect rape kits obtained in hospitals and never have the results tested. Is that justice?
5. We can argue constitutional issues regarding this case until we are blue in the face but only one body--the federal judiciary and, ultimately, the U.S. Supreme Court--can determine whether laws, policies and/or procedures are unconstitutional or not. To the best of my knowledge, very few cases calling activities under EEOC governing bodies have been determined by federal judges to be remotely unconstitutional.
6. Several weeks ago, an attorney who actively opposes EEOC matters wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post regarding the U of M situation. He said the facts of the case were terrible for advocates of EEOC reform. But what would he know? He isn't a Gopher football fan nor does he post at Gopherhole.
7. The attorney that represents nine of the players CONFIRMED in a recent radio interview that he was the one who released the report to the press. The great Tyrone Carter released the name of the cheerleader and later apologized for having done so. The damage was already done. And I wonder where Carter got the female's name?
8. How many who post here support the Black Lives Matter movement? I'm guessing very few. If a person wants to fight against injustice based on race, you might focus more on the issues BLM addresses than those within the U of M.

After visiting and just reading GopherHole for several years, I decided to register in order to make comments because of the posts of those active here regarding the ten suspended Gopher football players. Several things really bother me about what has been written about the subject:
1. First of all, I cannot think of a setting more poorly positioned for rational discussion of the very complex issues involved in these matters. The forum allows for anyone to say anything regardless of facts and laws, known or unknown. For example, if someone were to read the EEOC report carefully, one could easily see exactly each one of the ten individuals was and what was reported about their behavior. A. Winfield, for example, was a "hero" in this situation because he gave testimony that revealed several other players had lied about not being in the apartment and about not having harassed the female cheerleader by shouting remarks and blinking the lights while she was having sex.
2. Only four of the players were said to have engaged in sexual assault as defined by the student handbook. The instigator of the situation, Djam, was not found guilty of sexual assault but was kicked out of the university because he sent videos of himself and the recruit having sex with the cheerleader to his friends without her permission. Djam also enabled the recruit to be involved in the matter.
3. Four of the remaining five players were found to have engaged in sexual harassment of the cheerleader, mostly based on Winfield's testimony. The fifth was found guilty of lying to the EEOC investigators.
4. The state of Minnesota has laws governing sexual assault and the University of Minnesota has policies regarding sexual assault. The laws and policies are different, as are the procedures used to enforce them. Both approaches can fail miserably--see the Baylor University situation--but they only way to remedy errors is to work to change the systems. My daughter, a graduate of the U of M law school, has worked to get hundreds of thousands of untested rape kits tested all over the country. Many, many jurisdictions collect rape kits obtained in hospitals and never have the results tested. Is that justice?
5. We can argue constitutional issues regarding this case until we are blue in the face but only one body--the federal judiciary and, ultimately, the U.S. Supreme Court--can determine whether laws, policies and/or procedures are unconstitutional or not. To the best of my knowledge, very few cases calling activities under EEOC governing bodies have been determined by federal judges to be remotely unconstitutional.
6. Several weeks ago, an attorney who actively opposes EEOC matters wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post regarding the U of M situation. He said the facts of the case were terrible for advocates of EEOC reform. But what would he know? He isn't a Gopher football fan nor does he post at Gopherhole.
7. The attorney that represents nine of the players CONFIRMED in a recent radio interview that he was the one who released the report to the press. The great Tyrone Carter released the name of the cheerleader and later apologized for having done so. The damage was already done. And I wonder where Carter got the female's name?
8. How many who post here support the Black Lives Matter movement? I'm guessing very few. If a person wants to fight against injustice based on race, you might focus more on the issues BLM addresses than those within the U of M.

There's an entire 50 page long thread for this.

Odds on the true identity of Trisuper:

K. Hewitt: 2/1

E. Kaler: 3/1

M. Coyle: 4/1

Top Bottom