All Things EOAA, Investigation, Suspension, Overturned Etc. Thread: UPDATED 1 Thread

All, some, or none of that may have happened but I think Claeys was fired simply because Coyle felt that he could get Fleck - the hottest, young coaching prospect in America. Any "reason" was just cover to improve the program (from his point of view).

Somehow we need to undo 30+ years of feminist propaganda that dates back to when Andrea Dworkin and Catharine McKinnon were at the U.

Move on already !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ski-U-Mah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was interesting - most casual readers of the board (like me) haven't had a timeline of events put together - just the anedoctal poster rantings about one side or the other.

Good conjecture. So was the one that the Chinese came to the West Coast before Eropeans ever set foot in America.

Shipley has passed Souhan in my book. Ridiculous. I'm posting the entire article here, not a link, because this buffoon doesn't deserve the clicks

Two months after a sexual assault scandal divided campus and nearly ripped its football program in half, the University of Minnesota is promising myriad improvements in the way it recruits, educates, trains and supports its student-athletes.

This is admirable behavior, yet one can’t help feel that the school seems more interested in keeping its most-visible students out of trouble than protecting victims of sexual assault; that protecting women on campus will be the happy result of more and better support for student-athletes.

“Intercollegiate athletics: Developing the whole person” was the title of a report athletics director Mark Coyle presented to the Board of Regents on Friday morning.

In the wake of a Sept. 2 incident that resulted in the expulsion of four football players and the suspensions of two others, the school’s dedication to working proactively to curb sexual misconduct is admirable and necessary. Still, the stomach sinks.

Somehow — after suspensions, restraining orders, police and school investigations, and a short-lived boycott by the entire football team — the implication is that the school failed the perpetrators. “If only we had explained to them what rape is …”

On Thursday and Friday, the regents heard presentations from the school’s office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action — which investigated the alleged sexual assault involving several football players — and the athletics department about changes in practice aimed at eliminating this behavior on campus.

The EOAA is rewriting its sexual misconduct policy, for instance, making all university staff mandatory reporters of sexual misconduct. Coyle said his department is revamping its recruiting practices — a visiting prospect was involved in the September incident — and making all freshmen live in dorms.

Why are these reasonable and admirable steps so infuriating? Because they mitigate the responsibility of the four student-athletes found by the EOAA to have sexually assaulted a classmate and perpetuate a narrative built on misunderstanding and misdirection.

Blowback on the school’s handling of the investigation, carried out using federal guidelines on current Title IX case law, has only increased as the U and victim have remained silent — the school by law, the victim by understandable choice.

In the vacuum, the narrative has been shaped by lawyers for the disciplined players, and has become:

That the 10 players suspended Dec. 13 were victims of a vindictive EOAA office dominated by women, who by nature of their gender are unable to do their jobs without bias;
That their reputations were irrevocably maligned by the school, even though it was their attorney and a couple of parents who connected them to the Sept. 2 incident;
That the school is responsible for the leak of the EOAA’s disturbing report on the Sept. 2 incident, despite the fact that it is prohibited by law to share the report with anyone but participants in the incident;
That the EOAA investigation was bound by and violated rules of criminal law;
That the fact that the U dropped four of the 10 player suspensions — as part of the EOAA investigative process — indicates that the entire investigation was a mistake, despite the fact that the four other players actually found by the EOAA to have assaulted the victim were, in fact, expelled.

What we’re left with is a school scrambling to address an issue that plagues every campus at all levels. The Board of Regents, for instance, is contemplating how it might improve oversight of the EOAA, and the EOAA is scheduled to present its redrafted sexual misconduct policy to the President’s Policy Committee on March. 2.

On Dec. 17, a group of about 200 gathered outside TCF Bank Stadium in support of sexual assault victims. It remains the loudest — only? — support for the victim in this incident. What we’re left with is hand-wringing over how to train students how not to assault anyone.

Coyle told the Regents on Friday that the U will update its training, and that athletes are especially interested in understanding the disciplinary process that the football players just went through and how it differs from criminal prosecution.

Yes, more and better training is clearly warranted, but that shouldn’t make anyone feel better.

He's such a limited writer he initially wrote "alleged sexual assault" and then repeatedly used the word victim throughout the rest of his diatribe.

Shipley, one can be against the crime of rape AND recognize that the players, particularly the exonerated were not given due process commensurate with the level of the alleged crime. If we're not careful it is all too easy to give up our ideals in a quest to rid our society of the crime of "insert name", something that will never happen. It is analogous to using torture to try and limit terrorism. Or locking up Japanese to reduce the chance of sabotage and sedition. Many examples are possible and historically evident. Throwing away the rights of the accused (the U process is not close to a civil trial) in an insane crusade is wrong and your inability to recognize it is part of the reason why so many reasonable people look at the far loony left and shake their heads.

despite the fact that the four other players actually found by the EOAA to have assaulted the victim were, in fact, expelled

Does the writer of this article understand that what he wrote is not only factually inaccurate but also libelous? The EOAA had no authority to find anyone guilty of assaulting anyone. The players were expelled for violating the Student Code of Conduct....no more, no less. I hope they add this guy to their list of people they will be suing over this.

Has the deadline for appealing to the Provost now passed? I haven't seen any news on whether or not anybody took that route. I thought the deadline was last week but I may be mistaken.

Thanks for sharing. Title IX sexual assault enforcement is an important issue and one in need of reform. I'm a Trump critic, but in this area I hope his administration revisits this matter in a sensible way.

Yep, I'm also a Trump critic, I hate that so many of his kind are 100% correct on this issue.

I'm not saying he is completely void of relevant content, but Prager is a typical extremist, right-wing talk show host. Not sure he is who we should be taking our gospel from. He criticized Ellison for taking his congressional oath on the Quran...pretty much disqualifies him in my book. This guy is no better than the extreme left-wing feminists that claim heterosexual sex cannot be consensual.

I'm not saying he is completely void of relevant content, but Prager is a typical extremist, right-wing talk show host. Not sure he is who we should be taking our gospel from. He criticized Ellison for taking his congressional oath on the Quran...pretty much disqualifies him in my book. This guy is no better than the extreme left-wing feminists that claim heterosexual sex cannot be consensual.

Did you listen and what do you know about his guest, Stuart Taylor? Here's another resource that is not considered right wing...https://www.thefire.org/

Well you sound really unbiased... NOT

I share your opinion of Prager. It's what Stuart Taylor says that needs to be listened to. Incidently, he says he voted for Obama twice, as did I.

Former Gov Arne Carlson on Barrerio today. Didn't speak too fondly of the U Admin or the EOAA investigation here. You can podcast it on KFAN if interested. Talks about that in the final 5 min of the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Former Gov Arne Carlson on Barrerio today. Didn't speak too fondly of the U Admin or the EOAA investigation here. You can podcast it on KFAN if interested. Talks about that in the final 5 min of the interview.

Did he have any inside knowledge?

Did he have any inside knowledge?

Not really. Very frontal about the Admin and how poorly K and C handled it. Said 40% falsely accused proves the system is broken. Said he hopes the U gets new leadership as it needs it badly.

Not really. Very frontal about the Admin and how poorly K and C handled it. Said 40% falsely accused proves the system is broken. Said he hopes the U gets new leadership as it needs it badly.

Ah, well yeah he's right.

Just farm it out to a law firm or something, at least the structure and systems, staffing recommendations.

I'm not going to argue with you on Prager, but sometimes "extremists" are the only ones that can politically discuss difficult issues. It wasn't that long ago that left wing "extremists" were talking about legalizing marijuana and gay marriage. It was "extremists" that called for the abolition of slavery and "extremists" who wanted to afford women the right to vote. The truth is, a lot of difficult issues are really politically difficult for moderates.

The regressive left demanded Tracy Claeys be fired for his tweet (which whether you agree with it or not, wasn't that crazy). There were some loons that wanted to get rid of football because of the incident. My point, a lot of dems are in an impossible position where they can't criticize things like the EoAA. For me, it seems super similar to how a lot of political conservatives have to kiss the ring of the religious right. The political bedfellows can force moderates to be silent on "tough" issues.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for any extremists to ever have any real power. They aren't capable of handling it, even when they have good intentions (see the EoAA). I'm just saying that they are sometimes free from the political chains that force moderates into particular corners.

I'm not saying you should like Prager, but I wouldn't dismiss the information from the guest based on him.

Prager is a typical extremist, right-wing talk show host.

Prager is hardly an extremist (he's a mainstream conservative). Tossing out adjectives like that on someone like Prager completely dilutes the word when you'd use it for someone really extreme like an Alex Jones type host. Language is important.

Prager is hardly an extremist (he's a mainstream conservative). Tossing out adjectives like that on someone like Prager completely dilutes the word when you'd use it for someone really extreme like an Alex Jones type host. Language is important.

Meh, I think Prager is kind of out there with his religious stuff. Maybe "extremist" is a bad word, but he is to neocons what the Young Turks are to progressives.

Alex Jones. . .it was hard to even call him political until now. He is a 9/11 Truther, he thinks Sandy Hook was staged (all actors), he thinks the government is making kids homosexual using chemicals in juice boxes, he screamed at everyone for years to stock up for Y2K, he is an absolute loon.

So your point is taken, Prager is no Alex Jones.

Did we ever hear if anyone chose to do the next round of appeals?

Did we ever hear if anyone chose to do the next round of appeals?

No Clue. Can't one see if kids are enrolled in school? If they were still enrolled you would think that means an appeal is in process. Seems odd that Hutton wouldn't have broadcasted that like everything else tho.

FWIW: Djam, Williams, and Hardin still listed on roster. Buford, Johnson x2 not. I know those 3 transferred out, but curious that Hardin is still listed if officially expelled.

No Clue. Can't one see if kids are enrolled in school? If they were still enrolled you would think that means an appeal is in process. Seems odd that Hutton wouldn't have broadcasted that like everything else tho.

FWIW: Djam, Williams, and Hardin still listed on roster. Buford, Johnson x2 not. I know those 3 transferred out, but curious that Hardin is still listed if officially expelled.

Here's an updated version of the scholarship spreadsheet from 247. Goblirsch said he doesn't expect any of the 4 who were expelled to challenge that decision any further, so they were removed from the list. Djam and Williams are listed as suspensions. Hardin is still listed on the roster at gophersports.com but that's more likely due to the fact that he hasn't announced what his plans are yet.

Finally had a chance to listen to the interview. He did not pull any punches. Along with what you pointed out, Carlson said the administration repeatedly lied to the public, players, and Claeys specifically. Carlson has not been a fan of Kaler for several years and has a long connection in MN politics with Dean Johnson.

Top Bottom