Scholarship at 85 with four expulsions

hungan1

Reaction score
The Daily Gopher Scholarship Grid is at 89 before expulsions are factored in.

It makes you wonder if PJ Fleck had an idea this was the expected outcome.

Interestingly, Eric Abojei's name is not included. If he passes ACT/SAT test(s) with qualifying score(s), that will put them at 86 one over the limit.

Is there an impending transfer that we don't know about?

http://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/gopher-football-scholarship-grid

Interestingly, Eric Abojei's name is not included. If he passes ACT/SAT test(s) with qualifying score(s), that will put them at 86 one over the limit.

There are always transfers.

Isn't Williams' scholly also free now? He is suspended from school for the next year, I can't imagine they need to hold his scholly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't Williams' scholly also free now? He is suspended from school for the next year, I can't imagine they need to hold his scholly.

What about Ayinde? He stated after the bowl game it was his last with the team? maybe worded wrong?

What about Ayinde? He stated after the bowl game it was his last with the team? maybe worded wrong?

He clarified after. He meant with the '16 team. Ayinde is coming back.

My guess is Fleck dismisses Djam and Williams from the team.

My guess is Fleck dismisses Djam and Williams from the team.

Likely. As for this conversation tho, Djam wasn't on scholarship. I think we are at 84 not counting $man.

Djam is a walk-on with a 4.0 GPA if I remember it correctly being mentioned.

So, if DeMarcus Willliams is on one-year suspension that will hold a spot for Eric Abojei should he pass the ACT/SAT.

But, you are right. It may be academic if PJ Fleck dismisses Djam and Williams from the team for violation of team rules.

PJF might decide to severe ties with two problem children and move forward not having to worry about accommodating two players whose positions suddenly aren't as dearth.

That gives him an out to clean the slate and to give notice to current players that he wants to run a clean elite program.

I'd be willing to bet there will be additional transfers.

There is suddenly a logjam at QB with seven QBs for instance plus some players may feel they don't fit into the new coaching schemes.

There is suddenly a logjam at QB with seven QBs for instance plus some players may feel they don't fit into the new coaching schemes.

It's not too bad.

Assuming Williams is gone. . .

It breaks down like this:
SR - Rhoda
JR - NONE
SO - Croft / McLaurin
FR - Green
RS - Morgan (I realize he could play, I just wanted to differentiate).

I think Estes gets a shot to try QB and then likely switches positions. It'll be interesting to see what Croft decides to do if Green and Rhoda are higher than him on the depth chart (maybe McLaurin too).

Is McLaurin a 3-year player or a 3 to play 2 player?

Is McLaurin a 3-year player or a 3 to play 2 player?

I thought he was a three to play three (RS at JuCo). I could be wrong on that.

I missed that. Thanks. Thought he was a Jr. Gophersports lists him as a Freshman so I didn't know what to think.

Ya but,

It's not too bad.

Assuming Williams is gone. . .

It breaks down like this:
SR - Rhoda
JR - NONE
SO - Croft / McLaurin
FR - Green
RS - Morgan (I realize he could play, I just wanted to differentiate).

I think Estes gets a shot to try QB and then likely switches positions. It'll be interesting to see what Croft decides to do if Green and Rhoda are higher than him on the depth chart (maybe McLaurin too).

I agree, except I'm thinking Morgan could be the guy. PJ said he loves to play freshman. He talked him up. Morgan is enrolled, so he is starting ahead of the rest because he is the only one enrolled they recruited, other than Rhoda...and so maybe Rhoda is the guy? But, I believe Morgan is the best passer. Rhoda may be next...does he command the huddle better than Morgan? But I think the others (Croft Green McLaurin ) are in the next group. I'd say Croft wins that threesome. Remember, these guys are looking for different skills in a quarterback. Passing is more important than running now. So, to me that's Morgan, Rhoda, Croft. Lots of talk about quarterback decision making. I think that favors those three guys too. Green was a Tracy favorite I know, but he's gone jmo or take

I agree, except I'm thinking Morgan could be the guy. PJ said he loves to play freshman. He talked him up. Morgan is enrolled, so he is starting ahead of the rest because he is the only one enrolled they recruited, other than Rhoda...and so maybe Rhoda is the guy? But, I believe Morgan is the best passer. Rhoda may be next...does he command the huddle better than Morgan? But I think the others (Croft Green McLaurin ) are in the next group. I'd say Croft wins that threesome. Remember, these guys are looking for different skills in a quarterback. Passing is more important than running now. So, to me that's Morgan, Rhoda, Croft. Lots of talk about quarterback decision making. I think that favors those three guys too. Green was a Tracy favorite I know, but he's gone jmo or take

Yeah, if Morgan starts there will be a logjam, but that's true of every position if a true freshman steps in and takes the reigns. I think it's easier to play freshman in the MAC than in the Big 10. I would love for us to be able to RS Morgan because I do think he is the future of our QB position.

Maybe Green switches positions if he is not second or third string. Just saying short of transferring out.

Everything will work itself out by the end of Fall practice or sooner.

If anyone most aptly will benefit by transferring, it will be Green with three years eligibility left if he goes D1 transfer as a RS FR and sit out a year.

Ryan Burns @RyanBurnsMN

New #Gophers QB commit @MclaurinNeil is a December graduate and will sign on Wednesday. He has three years to play three.

Maybe Green switches positions if he is not second or third string. Just saying short of transferring out.

Everything will work itself out by the end of Fall practice or sooner.

If anyone most aptly will benefit by transferring, it will be Green with three years eligibility left if he goes D1 transfer as a RS FR and sit out a year.

Green's best bet would likely be to ride it out.

If Morgan wins the job, my guess is that Croft would transfer (he would just be buried on the depth chart). Green would likely serve as Morgan's backup for 4 seasons (maybe three if Rhoda is the backup this year). There would be an extremely good chance that Green would see significant playing time without having to transfer out.

With the news of Stieber leaving that should put us at 83 (not counting Cashman). Right?

Of course he knew. Any competent AD would make sure the head football coach knew before anyone else. Croyle is no different. I'm sure the people that needed to know were told right away. Otherwise you'd really hamstring the team.

I still wonder what Kayler thinks of all this.

I wouldn't worry too much about scholarship count right now. Let's see what it's at again after spring ball. There will be a few that transfer out then for a variety of reasons.

Oh, no - not again!

This is some mad speculation...nobody really has a clue who's starting at QB next year. Who's seen Morgan throw a pass wearing even a U practice jersey?

lot of unknowns. I would not be shocked if some of the returning players decide they don't want to play for Fleck, and vice-versa. Some of that could be based on personality, and some on schemes. If Fleck decides that Player X doesn't fit his system, hopefully he will let that player leave on his own terms.

I am not predicting a mutiny or big upheaval - but I do expect to see more roster movement through the spring and summer. Also would not be surprised if the team winds up a couple Scholarships short of the max. That gives Fleck some room to maneuver for future classes. This program is going through a transition. only time will tell how smooth the transition will be - but it would be foolish to believe that there will not be some bumps in the road.

I would have to think that regardless of whether Williams is allowed back on the team or not, his scholarship is gone. They can pull it because he would be "not in good standing in the community". Unless he wins an appeal that removes all punishment, if that's even possible.

Besides, he may not be eligible to play due to not having adequate credits assuming his suspension is upheld.

My guess is he transfers somewhere else. I would think some school will choose to ignore what has happened here. Especially a lower division school.

Same w/ Djam, other than the scholarship concern.

Tamarion Johnson is officially gone.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom