New projected defensive depth chart

The defensive position chart looks solid and we will have quality depth at most every position.
This part of the team shouldn't take a step back this coming year.

I think I would. A true frosh over a seasoned senior. If Handy-Holly does start, I would think he'd have to be a hell of a player.

Winfield started over McGhee last year. McGhee won't start game 1 this season regardless due to targeting.

Barring massive injuries, the defense has me excited for 2017. But, with our complete lack of depth on the D-line for 2018 and beyond, I wonder if there will be any thought given to moving Beebe to defense. If our new defensive coordinator is set on a 4-3 (I have no idea if he is), we will need bodies - plus who knows if our new offense will want a FB. Beebe is a very good athlete.

Barring massive injuries, the defense has me excited for 2017. But, with our complete lack of depth on the D-line for 2018 and beyond, I wonder if there will be any thought given to moving Beebe to defense. If our new defensive coordinator is set on a 4-3 (I have no idea if he is), we will need bodies - plus who knows if our new offense will want a FB. Beebe is a very good athlete.

Great point. I kind of forgot the discussion of moving Beebe to defense. They didn't have anyone on their roster listed as a FB, but I can't speak to if they used a hybrid TE/FB sort of system and just listed them as TE.

I could see their being an argument between Callahan (TE coach) and the DL coach over Beebe.

Is the "change of culture" Mr Fleck was referring to, starting already?!? He said it would involve us all... ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Maybe this is crazy cuz I liked Winfield at safety, but didn't he start last year at corner and move due to greater need?

Winfield played some nickel early, but the plan was always a safety with the previous coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck said at the event Weds night that playing early was a huge reason Handy-Holly came here.

In all seriousness, corner is going to be a glaring red flag. Luckily we play in a conference which isn't exactly the best passing league in the world and our safeties should be able to help a little bit but I fully expect each team to go after our corners as much as they can

Agreed- the difference in our corner play with and without Hardin was atrocious.

Kiondre Thomas looked great in fall camp, very much like Eric Murray. I don't see Zo beating him out.
Blake Cashmans stats last 5 games were incredible. Every down player absolutely.

He better be beefing up then- not sure he has the body to take on pulling guards all day

So now that we have news on the suspensions and signing day has passed, lets take at what the 2017 depth chart could look like

I think based on our personnel we have on the DL and at LB, we'll see more 3-4 than 4-3.

OLB: Coughlin, Martin/Devers
DE: Elmore, Dellatiboudere
DT: Richardson, Merrick Jackson
DE: Stelter, Royal Silver
OLB: Cashman, Huff

ILB: Poock, Waters
ILB: Celestin, Barber

CB: Craighton, Thomas
SS: Mghee, Huff
FS: Winfield, Ayinde
CB: Shenault, Durr/Justus Harris

Durr and his ACL have been a topic of discussion and whether he plays or not. I ultimately do believe he will play next year but we'll see. Won't start though like he would have otherwise. I could see Handy-Holly or Beck beating out Ayinde but we'll see.

Nice work dhg but I disagree with Devers turning into a stand up LB. It's much harder for kids used to playing with their hand in the turf to turn into a LB than u might think.

Does our new DC have a history of playing 3-4?

Be nice to see Moore make the Two deeps at DT if we're a 4-3 team. If we can stay healthy- big if- would be nice to RS Silver

Nice work dhg but I disagree with Devers turning into a stand up LB. It's much harder for kids used to playing with their hand in the turf to turn into a LB than u might think.

During the signing social when talking about the number of DL we have he mentioned "and you play 4 on the DL every play". Not sure we should take anything from that but I like the 3-4 for this team.

He would be an LB only in a 3-4 on pass rushing situations but DE in a 4-3.

He was essentially a standup 3-4 OLB all of last year when he got in in the exact same role as Martin and Coughlin. All 3 of his sacks were when he was standing up as well.

Edge rusher would be a more appriopaite term than labeling him an LB or DE like how draftniks usually do it.

I don't know if Smith has a history or not with the 3-4 but he would be foolish not to at least for this year based on a wealth of LB's and edge rushers and lack of depth at D-line (although it's not as bad as pre-signing day).

Be nice to see Moore make the Two deeps at DT if we're a 4-3 team. If we can stay healthy- big if- would be nice to RS Silver

I think it's improbable that Silver doesn't get PT next season, only because they may want him to get some run next year before he's counted on so much in 2018. However, another thing that could help is that Elmore has jumped inside on occasion as well.

Ryan Burns mentioned a former 5-star DT the coaches are trying to sign as a transfer after Spring ball. Possible visit in March. Anyone know details?

Ryan Burns mentioned a former 5-star DT the coaches are trying to sign as a transfer after Spring ball. Possible visit in March. Anyone know details?

Rumor is that it's Texas Tech DT Brandon Fehoko

Would be a huge addition. Started at TT as frosh and soph. I wonder what went wrong down in TT. Does Fleck have some kind of connection?

I don't think Devers will transition to OLB, If he adds some weight I could see him as starting DE in a 3-4.

DE- Elmore/ Della
DT- Richardson/ Jackson
DE- Stelter/ Devers

OLB- Coughlin/ Martin
ILB- Poock/Waters
ILB- Celestin/ Huff
OLB- Cashman/ Barber

CB- Shenault/ Douglas
S- Winfield jr/ McGee
S- KHH/ Huff
CB- Durr/ Thomas

Beebe IMO is kind of a tweener in a 43. He's a little undersized weight wise to be a DT consistently in it but isn't quite the athlete for a DE in it. In a 34 though he could be a valuable as a DE to clog up some holes.

I don't think Devers will transition to OLB, If he adds some weight I could see him as starting DE in a 3-4.

DE- Elmore/ Della
DT- Richardson/ Jackson
DE- Stelter/ Devers

OLB- Coughlin/ Martin
ILB- Poock/Waters
ILB- Celestin/ Huff
OLB- Cashman/ Barber

CB- Shenault/ Douglas
S- Winfield jr/ McGee
S- KHH/ Huff
CB- Durr/ Thomas

It wouldn't be a transition, he already was an OLB when they play 3-4 and almost all of his snaps last year came when he was playing OLB in a 3-4. I honestly don't remember him getting any snaps at all when they were in their traditional 4-3 base.

He also had a long, long way to go to become a starting DE in a 3-4. He'd have to add about at least 45 or 50 pounds to be a full time starting 3-4 DE. It be a waist of his speed, quickness and edge rushing ability to put in in that position anyways and if he plays any snaps as a 3-4 DE this year he'd likely get completely washed out on nearly every run down.

Smith will play a multiple front D from my understanding. 43 will be the "base" but they will play other alignments as well.

Have I missed it.. he has said he is playing a 3-4?

My understanding is Fleck is purely a 4-3 guy, so I'm not sure why so many people are wasting their lives describing what a 3-4 might look like under him.

My understanding is Fleck is purely a 4-3 guy, so I'm not sure why so many people are wasting their lives describing what a 3-4 might look like under him.

Wishful thinking, I suspect. Hard to deny we have more talent and depth at LB than DE

Because as Spoofin alluded to, due to our personnel and current makeup of our front 7, a 3-4 allows us to put more talent on the field than a 4-3 with this team. Any coach or DC that inherits this team would be foolish not to play more 3-4 than 4-3. A good coach can adapt his scheme to better fit the type of personnel he has even if it doesn't quite align with his typical philosophy.

Now in future years I do expect to play mostly 4-3 when the recruitment of DT's, DE's and LB's balances out the way Fleck would like it to but for now we certainly have a lot more talent and depth at LB than at DT and on the d-line as a whole and I would expect them to play a lot of 3-4 to accommodate that talent gap.

Would love to hear new D coordinator state that he's not married to the 4-3, and will adjust to the strengths of the players he has (aka, LINEBACKERS)

This coming year we will still be solid at DT. With the number of players we have at LB, I can see them sticking with the 4-3 as a base and then mixing in those LB's at DE and/or mixing in some 3-4 or 2-5 looks depending on the type of offense we are seeing

Top Bottom