New projected defensive depth chart

die hard gopher

Reaction score
So now that we have news on the suspensions and signing day has passed, lets take at what the 2017 depth chart could look like

I think based on our personnel we have on the DL and at LB, we'll see more 3-4 than 4-3.

OLB: Coughlin, Martin/Devers
DE: Elmore, Dellatiboudere
DT: Richardson, Merrick Jackson
DE: Stelter, Royal Silver
OLB: Cashman, Huff

ILB: Poock, Waters
ILB: Celestin, Barber

CB: Craighton, Thomas
SS: Mghee, Huff
FS: Winfield, Ayinde
CB: Shenault, Durr/Justus Harris

Durr and his ACL have been a topic of discussion and whether he plays or not. I ultimately do believe he will play next year but we'll see. Won't start though like he would have otherwise. I could see Handy-Holly or Beck beating out Ayinde but we'll see.

4-3 rotation would look like this

DE: Elmore, Devers
DT: Richardson, Jackson
DT: Stelter, Royal Silver
DE: Dellatiboudere, Gibson

OLB: Cashman, Coughlin/Martin
MLB: Poock, Barber
OLB: Celestin, Huff

Mghee out for 1st half of first game, I believe.

DT: Stelter, Silver
DE: DeLattiboudere, Gibson

LB: Coughlin, Martin
LB: Poock, Barber
LB: Celestin, Huff

^^^(Cashman rotating in on passing downs, don't really see him as an every down player)^^^

CB: Shenault, Thomas
S: Winfield, Huff
S: McGhee, Handy-Holly
CB: Craighton, Durr

Corner is the only big weakness I see on this defense, everything else looks very solid.

^^^(Cashman rotating in on passing downs, don't really see him as an every down player)^^^

Corner is the only big weakness I see on this defense, everything else looks very solid.

I think this is pretty close. I could see Kiondre Thomas starting, he is supposed to be that good. Durr might have a fast recovery and be able to start in time for game 1. There will probably be a few freshman surprises sprinkled in the 2 deeps that would be hard to predict. No one last year was predicting that Kamal Martin, Devers, and Barber would get significant time.

I think this is pretty close. I could see Kiondre Thomas starting, he is supposed to be that good. Durr might have a fast recovery and be able to start in time for game 1. There will probably be a few freshman surprises sprinkled in the 2 deeps that would be hard to predict. No one last year was predicting that Kamal Martin, Devers, and Barber would get significant time.

Don't know much about him but that's good to hear. Craighton and even Shenault haven't been very impressive in limited action so hopefully someone can step up there. Durr was really looking like a player, shame he got hurt.

Don't know much about him but that's good to hear. Craighton and even Shenault haven't been very impressive in limited action so hopefully someone can step up there. Durr was really looking like a player, shame he got hurt.

Shenault had a rough game early in the season, I believe it was against Indiana St., but got better as the season went on. Craighton looked good in the bowl game.

Forgot about Gibson, I'll add him in the 4-3.

But what is our depth chart when we roll out the 1-6 defense like we did in the bowl game??

In all seriousness, corner is going to be a glaring red flag. Luckily we play in a conference which isn't exactly the best passing league in the world and our safeties should be able to help a little bit but I fully expect each team to go after our corners as much as they can

I think of Kamal Martin as more of an OLB in a 3-4 scheme, but more of a DE in a 4-3 scheme. But then again I don't know much about that stuff.

In all seriousness, corner is going to be a glaring red flag. Luckily we play in a conference which isn't exactly the best passing league in the world and our safeties should be able to help a little bit but I fully expect each team to go after our corners as much as they can

Maybe this is crazy cuz I liked Winfield at safety, but didn't he start last year at corner and move due to greater need?

I think Adam Beck will be pushing for time at CB. Same with Justus Harris.

Defense looks solid. With a few surprises, could be a major strength. But should not be considered a weakness. If PJF can work some magic on offense, this team should be improved on from twenty sixteen.

So now that we have news on the suspensions and signing day has passed, lets take at what the 2017 depth chart could look like

I think based on our personnel we have on the DL and at LB, we'll see more 3-4 than 4-3.

OLB: Coughlin, Martin/Devers
DE: Elmore, Dellatiboudere
DT: Richardson, Merrick Jackson
DE: Stelter, Royal Silver
OLB: Cashman, Huff

ILB: Poock, Waters
ILB: Celestin, Barber

CB: Craighton, Thomas
SS: Mghee, Huff
FS: Winfield, Ayinde
CB: Shenault, Durr/Justus Harris

Durr and his ACL have been a topic of discussion and whether he plays or not. I ultimately do believe he will play next year but we'll see. Won't start though like he would have otherwise. I could see Handy-Holly or Beck beating out Ayinde but we'll see.

Many are so quick to poo poo the likely contribution by Ayinde.... I disagree.... basically, it was one game... one game....

Kiondre Thomas looked great in fall camp, very much like Eric Murray. I don't see Zo beating him out.
Blake Cashmans stats last 5 games were incredible. Every down player absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy ****...a positive and constructive thread. Kudos to everyone involved. [emoji16]

I think of Kamal Martin as more of an OLB in a 3-4 scheme, but more of a DE in a 4-3 scheme. But then again I don't know much about that stuff.

Thats how I see Devers but never drops into coverage when he's in a 3-4.

Winfield playing some cornerback is my bet too.

I wondered what the chances were of him playing exclusively there depending on who got cleared. Beck and handy-Holley certainly aren't coming to warm the bench. I see it as less likely at this point but we all know how injuries go. Winfield looked great when he played corner last year. He certainly wasn't afraid to jam the WRs. That's the most important thing in college, IMO. Jam the WRs and it throws the QBs completely off. Then good things happen if you are on D.

And

I think Adam Beck will be pushing for time at CB. Same with Justus Harris.

I agree and add Estes and Douglas as well. PJ has an ego. He recruited these guys. He wants to change culture. He loves to play freshman!! Most prideful statement all night: "We had the freshman of the year four years in a row at WMU. Think about that" Something close paraphrasing but it was the pride he said it with. Nearly broke his own dang arm. So look for the new guys to get a chance to play is what I'm saying.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a transfer come in to add to the secondary. Or an additional late recruit addition.

Kiondre Thomas looked great in fall camp, very much like Eric Murray. I don't see Zo beating him out.
Blake Cashmans stats last 5 games were incredible. Every down player absolutely.

Zo over Shenault though.

Let's also remember PJ just said he isn't afraid to play freshman. I think he will favor freshman he recruited over some previous guys on roster.

Let's also remember PJ just said he isn't afraid to play freshman. I think he will favor freshman he recruited over some previous guys on roster.

I would not be surprised if Handy-Holly started over McGhee/Huff

Top Bottom