Bill Connelly's way-too-early 2017 S&P+ projections (Gophers #47)

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Recruiting is easy. I simply create a projected rating based on these two-year recruiting rankings. The recruiting-based projection makes up 25 percent of the overall S&P+ projection.

For returning production, I apply projected changes (based on each team’s returning offensive and defensive production, which are on different scales) to last year’s S&P+ averages. The projection based on returning production accounts for 56 percent.

For recent history, I’ve gotten a little weird. I found that the previous year’s S&P+ ratings were carrying a little too much weight in the projections, so what you see below is a projection based solely off of seasons two to five years ago. Recent history now carries less weight in the overall formulas, only 19 percent. It basically acts as a slight supplement to the two factors above.

Our 2017 opponents:

10. Michigan
11. Wisconsin
37. Northwestern
42. Nebraska
44. Michigan State
47. Minnesota
48. Iowa
54. Oregon State
72. Maryland
85. Illinois
87. Purdue
89. Middle Tennessee
128. Buffalo

I'd bet our final ranking is higher at the end of the year.

So using this metric, we should go at least 7-5. We shouldn't expect a bowl season, though.:rolleyes:

Lotta numbers in the 40s and 50s range though.... and so many holes to fill, like QB... OL...

Top Bottom