Damning texts between ex-Baylor coach Briles, other officials revealed

And for many recruits it might be, as bad as it is, "good" news. They're looking to get early playing time.

You'd think playing time would be a big deal, and I think it factors to some extent.... but man then you'd think we'd have more QBs and WRs interested in coming here...

News just keeps rolling out:
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/baylo...095--ncaaf.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_05

In one instance, when shown a list of names of players a woman said attacked her, Briles allegedly responded, ''Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?''

Art Briles thinks we shoudl just let bygones be bygones:
Briles' attorney, Ernest Cannon, said: ''Art Briles is trying to go on with his life. I think Baylor regents would be better served if they would, too.''

I'm past whether or not Briles should get another job, and I'm at the point that I believe that he should be in prison.

It is amazing how good TMZ is at getting this type of stuff. It seems to have people everywhere.

TMZ, the National Enquirer and the like have proven themselves many times, to be better at getting to the bottom of things than the old, traditional news organizations like the NY Times, Washington Post, and (ha ha) the Star Tribune.

And Baylor fans were buying t-shirts at one of their games in support of this scum bag.

Briles is a pretty impressive offensive mind, but I was very surprised how fast they went from being a bottom feeder in the Big 12, to an Oregon like team that was thumping Texas, Texas Tech, TCU and others.

The corruption is amazing on so many levels, but I suspect the cheating that went on with the recruiting was probably at the SMU level. The rise of Baylor was very SMU like, and the fall could be similar. I am surprised the Temple coach took that job.

TMZ, the National Enquirer and the like have proven themselves many times, to be better at getting to the bottom of things than the old, traditional news organizations like the NY Times, Washington Post, and (ha ha) the Star Tribune.

TMZ has managed to get a lot of tidbits... I wouldn't go to them for much else.

Big XII is withholding 25% of future revenue distribution to Baylor: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211461596

“The Board is unified in establishing a process to verify that proper institutional controls are in place and sustainable,” said University of Oklahoma president and Big 12 Conference Board of Directors chairman David Boren. “Effective immediately, the Conference is withholding 25 percent of Baylor’s share of any future revenue distribution until the proper execution of controls is independently verified. By taking these actions the Board desires to ensure that the changes that were promised are actually made and that systems are in place to avoid future problems. The proportional withholding of revenue distribution payments will be in effect until the Board has determined that Baylor is in compliance with Conference bylaws and regulations as well as all components of Title IX.”

Baylor, along with every other Big 12 team, received about $30 million in revenue for 2015-16. The Bears said in a statement they are already well into the improvement process (which should mean the money will be distributed to them in short order after the review).

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told CBS Sports the conference's bylaws could have allowed Baylor to be fined now or still in the future. The Big 12 board of directors chose to withhold payouts at this time "because it's a lot of money and it's not an investigative process," according to Bowlsby. "It's a verification process. We're holding the money until we can verify that what needs to be done is being done."

Since the Big 12 distributes money throughout the course of a fiscal year, Baylor has already received about $10 million in 2016-17, Bowlsby said. That money won't be taken back. The remaining $24 million each Big 12 school is expected to receive this year will be reduced for Baylor, meaning a loss of $6 million in 2016-17.

Bowlsby said the board intentionally did not place a timeline on how long it will take for a third party to audit whether Baylor has appropriately corrected its Title IX problems in the wake of how it handled sexual assault allegations.

"We hope to do it as efficiently as possible, but also realize the NCAA and the [Office for Civil Rights] processes may take a longer time," Bowlsby said. The NCAA and OCR, a branch of the U.S. Department of Education, are investigating Baylor.

A Big 12 subcommittee of university presidents and chancellors is working on identifying an outside party to verify Baylor's work. Verification of Baylor's work means "all of the 105 recommendations from Pepper Hamilton are enacted," Bowlsby said. "It means anything that may have come to light in terms of appropriate governance, appropriate institutional control over athletics, and certainly compliance with Title IX." Pepper Hamilton is the law firm Baylor used for its internal investigation.

Bowlsby said the board has felt it has been "well informed" by Baylor on developments, but the need to withhold money came due to new information surfacing last week. Bowlsby pointed to court filings that showed the president's office's actions on the academic reinstatement of Tevin Elliott and former coach Art Briles' text messages to staff members.

Baylor's response in a lawsuit last week claimed Briles personally appealed to then-university president Ken Starr on behalf of Elliott, a former defensive linemen, when he was charged with plagiarism and thus ineligible for the 2011 season.

"The unusual request by Coach Briles triggered concern among top Baylor administrators, who complained to President Starr and among themselves that overturning Elliott's suspension after the appeal deadline would send a message that athletes were above the rules," Baylor wrote in the lawsuit.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...of-fining-baylor-until-its-sure-changes-made/

Top Bottom