Votes: 31 24.8%
  • McLaurin

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Estes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Williams

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Rhoda, how else would Fleck have convinced him to stay unless Fleck said he had a very good chance of starting?

Rhoda. I do think he'll get one or two other QBs some playing time thought.

Zach Terrell wasn't a Fleck recruit either I don't believe.
This is actually an interesting point that I hadn't considered. They started a senior QB for the first six games of 2013 and then Terrell took over and started the last 46 games at WMU. We actually haven't seen what a Fleck-recruited starting QB looks like.

Here's a good article on what the Fleck-Terrell relationship was like in the early days:

Fleck thought Terrell was too quiet. Not energetic enough. Didn’t see natural leadership qualities. He told his quarterback. Terrell protested, and insisted his new coach wasn’t reading him right.

Fleck was also after a high-profile recruit as soon as he got to Kalamazoo. And as Fleck said, “these guys aren’t dumb. They see all those things. They hear all those things.”

This meant Terrell didn’t think Fleck had much faith in him. Or that he would be a good fit for Fleck’s system — a spread-option sort of design that highlights finding playmakers and relies on zone blocking in the run game.

Then practice started. And, well, how about we let offensive coordinator, Kirk Ciarrocca, tell what happened next:

“It was near the end of training camp and it was practice 16 or 17 and we were in a competitive drill against our defense. And (Zach) went through his progression and he made a confident, decisive decision. P.J. was standing next to me, and I still remember looking at him and saying, ’We're going to win a championship with this kid someday.’ He was not the starter yet. He was in a battle to be No. 2.”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/12/31/western-michigan-fleck-terrell/96022636/

I voted McLaurin, the pressure will be on PJF to win and win right away, so I'm guessing he will go with a QB with a little college experience, even if its only at the JC level. But my guess is that he'll have another QB, the best of the new younger QBs waiting in the wings in case McLaurin doesn't succeed. But I could be wrong, very wrong in this regard, and it won't bother me. It's not unheard of to have true freshman QBs come out of nowhere and make an instant impact in cfb, and I'm hoping that happens next year, because that could mean 3-4 years of incredible results for Gopher fb, seeing as QB is the one position we never seem to be able to hit a home run with.

Would love pj to show he'll forego his pride and select McLaurin- would prove best man wins the job regardless of who recruited them. But I think Demry wins the job to start with but I think 2-4 QBs see time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love pj to show he'll forego his pride and select McLaurin- would prove best man wins the job regardless of who recruited them. But I think Demry wins the job to start with but I think 2-4 QBs see time.

What leads you to believe McLaurin will be the best one? We know he can run. It's his passing ability I have questions about. Unfortunately, the highlight videos don't reveal much, because it's almost all short passes.

I actually found his stats for his JUCO season:

8 games.....

Passing: 85/161, 964 yards, 8 TDs, 7 INTs

Rushing: 80 attempts, 440 yards, 6 TDs

Think you're reading me wrong- was really expressing a scenario for pj to show he's not going to be biased against McLaurin, especially given pj's poor introduction of him. I state later I think Demry will be the opening day QB.

Think you're reading me wrong- was really expressing a scenario for pj to show he's not going to be biased against McLaurin, especially given pj's poor introduction of him. I state later I think Demry will be the opening day QB.

I did read it wrong. He said it will be an open competition, and that he hasn't worked with any of them, so I would assume McLauren would start if he's clearly the best one. I'm not sure he fits Fleck's system though.

Rhoda, how else would Fleck have convinced him to stay unless Fleck said he had a very good chance of starting?

He does. He is the only QB on the roster that has won a Big Ten game. The others have never played in a game remotely close to that one, and if they will ever even be able to is just speculation at this point.

I hope we a have an arsenal of BigTen caliber QBs. But even if we do, it's possible they will not be ready to play yet.

Stop it, now. Have this poll in August.

I don't think we'll have a QB. Nobody is elite enough.

We're going wildcat the whole game.

PJ noted in his press conference it is really hard to judge QBs until you work with them a long time. So I doubt he has decided on Rhoda at this point.

No idea but I'm going with McLaurin.

With the OL and such I'm not sure we'll go with a freshman, need someone who can move back there with some experience.

Lol.

Best man wins the job but 2-4 get snaps? Yikes! That would indicate the best guy either wasn't the best guy or gets hurt, or PJ doesn't know how to evaluate talent.

I hope we get competent QB play that doesn't make me regret watching Gopher offensive 3rd down snaps for 4 years like the last 4+ have been. I also hope that if our QB this year isn't a long term answer we don't stick with him cause he's our guy for 4 years and we actually recruit over the top of our class.

Croft or Rhoda and really hoping Croft can prove to be ready. Really don't think it will be Morgan.

Feel the same about Morgan. He looks like a good prospect, but needs to work on his throwing motion and reducing the loop he puts into his arm action when throwing. If he gets that corrected before Fall camp, then he might have a shot at it, but would prefer he redshirt and develop more before being put on the field.
Hope Croft can develop because of all the guys we had at QB, he seems to be the one who is most suited to the type of offense PJF runs. Doesn't need to be a great runner, just needs to be able to make throws and good decisions. Watching his HS highlight video, he really has a smooth throwing motion and can just flick the ball to any spot on the field.

Two big questions in my mind:

1. Impact of new system. The 'returning' QB's have never played in Fleck's system, so any experience they have at MN is basically moot. All of the QB's are starting from scratch. Yes, Rhoda has some D1 experience, and McLaurin at the JUCO level - but not in this system.

2. Fleck's approach to the returning players. I have this idea (could be dead wrong) that Fleck wants "his" players, and I find myself wondering how he will get along with players who were recruited by, and were loyal to, a different coach. I could see Fleck going with a new QB as a way of putting his stamp on the program.

2. Fleck's approach to the returning players. I have this idea (could be dead wrong) that Fleck wants "his" players, and I find myself wondering how he will get along with players who were recruited by, and were loyal to, a different coach. I could see Fleck going with a new QB as a way of putting his stamp on the program.
Like I said earlier, I initially thought the same, but important to note that we haven't seen "his" player at QB. First half of his first season, he started a senior QB he inherited. Then he switched to a redshirt freshman, who he also inherited. That was Tanner Morgan, who has started every WMU game since.

If Green's suspension is overturned he has the most talent and I believe he would win the job. If not then roll the dice with Rhoda and if he struggles then Croft. I don't think Morgan is ready yet.

I went with Rhoda for the poll, but I'd bet on 3+ QBs getting snaps in the first six games even if everyone stays healthy. Hopefully things sort themselves out.

Wait. There was no option for Mitch Leidner. I have a close personal friend who has a close personal friend who said Mitch has a double-secret year of eligibility left.

Wait. There was no option for Mitch Leidner. I have a close personal friend who has a close personal friend who said Mitch has a double-secret year of eligibility left.

Nope, update is the Pats need him for something this weekend.

Can I change my vote?
Things are different now...

I'd like to change my vote to Seth but I honestly think Demry and Seth chances are about even now.

Top Bottom