Set For DC

SM_25

Reaction score
Well i booked my hotel for DC yesterday and i made the bold move to go there on thursday. I refused to make plans to be there on Wednesday, because it would be a real bummer to have to play in a play in game again. Lets hope the Gophers can get back on track Saturday and get a W!

Anyone else plan on making the trip to DC?

I'll be in D.C. on business that week, so if they're playing an evening game on Wednesday or Thursday, I'll see you there.

WDC...

We're planning on it as well. I wasn't as optimistic as you and booked our trip in November, so we are coming in on Wednesday. Maybe see you guys there.

Heading there Tuesday night, coming back late on Sunday night. Round trip was $210 on Sun Country.

I fly out on Monday for some duty, so my plane ticket was not done in confidence, but for convenience. Never been to Verizon, but am told by the locals the area is outstanding with lots to do. We're staying three blocks from the arena. Looking forward to it and hoping the Gophers are on a nice upward trajectory the first week of March. Will be very interesting to see what the crowd is like with the distance from the Midwest. If Maryland keeps going, they will dominate the crowd.

A ton of transplants out there. Nice Gopher crowd for the football game at Maryland.

Can somebody refresh my memory what tickets were for BTT? $400 for the whole thing?

We are only 2-3 block away as well. It should be a very good time. Last year in Indy we had a blast even though we lost to Illinois by 30 in a wednesday game. We decided to take the road trip out to DC instead of flying, but 210 round trip is a pretty good deal.

It would be cool to see you guys there, If i run into anyone from gopher hole the beer is on me.

Pretty sure it was $400 for the strip, up from $375 last year. Are your parents coming this year?

None of us going this year.

I really, really want to go to MSG in 2018, but thinking the hotel costs & inconvenience of trying to get around will make it a tough investment. Any decent hotel reasonably close to the arena will cost a couple arms and a couple legs.

None of us going this year.

I really, really want to go to MSG in 2018, but thinking the hotel costs & inconvenience of trying to get around will make it a tough investment. Any decent hotel reasonably close to the arena will cost a couple arms and a couple legs.

I still think it is a bunch of crap having the B1G tournament out east. We are a midwest based conference, so it really sucks for the fans of most B1G teams. Being a college student like myself makes it tough financially, but i'll still probably go to NYC as well

I only live an hour south and hopefully my Terp son can get some discounted tickets. Clyde's restaurant next door to the Verizon center is excellent if you want to add a great meal to your trip!

Pretty sure it was $400 for the strip, up from $375 last year. Are your parents coming this year?

Too bad. With our nice location and a few other things to do duty wise, D.C. is pretty good trip for me. NYC is enticing, but I'm with on the hassle of getting around and the expense. Timing of next year is bad, too. Looking forward to having it come back to the Midwest.

Too bad. With our nice location and a few other things to do duty wise, D.C. is pretty good trip for me. NYC is enticing, but I'm with on the hassle of getting around and the expense. Timing of next year is bad, too. Looking forward to having it come back to the Midwest.

Yep. Part of it is the age of my father (he's still doing well). Don't know how many more opportunities there will be to go to B1G tourneys with him, and I think New York could be a really special (though expensive) experience.

I still think it is a bunch of crap having the B1G tournament out east. We are a midwest based conference, so it really sucks for the fans of most B1G teams. Being a college student like myself makes it tough financially, but i'll still probably go to NYC as well

I respectfully disagree. It would be bad if they were out their all the time, but to sprinkle them in every 7-8 years is good for all of the fans who now live out there. Huge young alumni base in those two cities. Also, it is a great excuse to go to one of those cities. I know I would be much more likely to go to one in DC or NYC vs Indy.

With regards to next year being in NYC, hotels right around Times Square are very expensive. But a hotel in other parts of the city might be much cheaper, and you can take the subway to the games. Better yet, stay out in New Jersey closer to Princeton. It is about a 45 minute ride in and the train drops you off right under MSG.

One thing that kind of sucks is the hockey and bball team play at MSG in January. Hard to make 2 NYC trips in 2 months.

Agreed. Moneybags Delany screwed the fans with the east coast BTT move. I hope the stands are empty and he looks foolish.

I respectfully disagree. It would be bad if they were out their all the time, but to sprinkle them in every 7-8 years is good for all of the fans who now live out there. Huge young alumni base in those two cities. Also, it is a great excuse to go to one of those cities. I know I would be much more likely to go to one in DC or NYC vs Indy.

With regards to next year being in NYC, hotels right around Times Square are very expensive. But a hotel in other parts of the city might be much cheaper, and you can take the subway to the games. Better yet, stay out in New Jersey closer to Princeton. It is about a 45 minute ride in and the train drops you off right under MSG.

One thing that kind of sucks is the hockey and bball team play at MSG in January. Hard to make 2 NYC trips in 2 months.

I agree with its nice to sprinkle them in every 7-8 years, but to go to the east coast back to back years is kind of crappy. Not to mention the B1G tournament in NYC will be pushed up a whole week, because of scheduling conflict with the Big East tournament. It goes to show that the B1G is not an east coast conference. Is it a good excuse to go to those cities? Of course, many would much rather go to those type of cities. Im still going to go, but i'd rather see the games in actual B1G territory.

I had a blast in Indy last year. A lot of fans from most of the B1G teams, and made for a great atmosphere.

I agree with its nice to sprinkle them in every 7-8 years, but to go to the east coast back to back years is kind of crappy. Not to mention the B1G tournament in NYC will be pushed up a whole week, because of scheduling conflict with the Big East tournament. It goes to show that the B1G is not an east coast conference. Is it a good excuse to go to those cities? Of course, many would much rather go to those type of cities. Im still going to go, but i'd rather see the games in actual B1G territory.

I had a blast in Indy last year. A lot of fans from most of the B1G teams, and made for a great atmosphere.

Nothing beats Indy for the BTT. Chicago is nice, but there are plenty of reasons and plenty of opportunities to go there.

Son-of-Moonlight II is going to grad school at U of Chicago for the next two years so looking forward to the BTT in Chicago in 2019. Hoping we play Northwestern there next year so we can travel to see him and the Gophers.

I agree that two years in a row on the east coast doesn't make sense. If we're going to do this kind of thing, can't we please add a team in S. California so we're going somewhere warm for the tourney?

Nothing beats Indy for the BTT. Chicago is nice, but there are plenty of reasons and plenty of opportunities to go there.

Indy is my favorite as well. All basketball, great hospitality, and the city is built to host a lot of people conveniently in a small space. Park the car and no need to get in it again until you leave the city. Chicago always seemed like the tourney was one thing among many. In Indy, it was everything. Will be very interesting to see how D.C. hosts it.

Any other of you guys decide to make the trip to DC?

Top Bottom