Alabama's Recruiting Dominance the Past Few Years Shows Whats Wrong With The NCAA

You just labeled everyone here even though you know nothing about most people. And then you get upset when someone does the exact same thing you just did?

Your opinion is just as valid as any. My comment earlier was because you appeared to know all about this topic. Was just curious how you knew for sure.
I said 'most' which, if you're familiar with English, doesn't mean 'all'. It was also tongue in cheek since obviously I've no way to know the demographics of this board but apparently it offended you all so greatly. Lighten up

Sick #humblebrag

Or can I not use hashtags because I'm supposedly some old farm town Scandinavian?

If you think it's bragging that's on you. I answered the question regarding how I would know. Knowing athletes ain't much to brag about

1. Well no pro teams in Tuscaloosa with a population of 95,000 people so we can rule that out.
2. My wife grew up with story is one person from one class told by his godparents and you wont even say his name.
3. To say this stuff never "happens" did you miss last years draft Laremy Tunsil if you did google "laremy tunsil paid by ole miss"

You must be a BAMA fan or work for the NCAA to believe this is nonsense.

No, speaking of my wife's relation with someone directly connected to the issue is relevant to the question I was asked. Also, I never said this 'never' happens. I said I'd never heard of it and I've heard many stories about athletes and recruiting. I also never made claims about other things schools may or may not do. But you can continue to make things up if you like. Man you guys sure are sensitive lol.

If you think it's bragging that's on you. I answered the question regarding how I would know. Knowing athletes ain't much to brag about

I grew up with multiple D1 athletes in various sports. Am I cool now too? Am I allowed to comment on this subject?

I grew up with multiple D1 athletes in various sports. Am I cool now too? Am I allowed to comment on this subject?

Don't know about cool but sure. Don't be stupid. The question posed to me was 'how would you know for sure? Or are you just guessing?' I answered that question. If you want to check my post history to see how many times I've volunteered that information previously (which I'd obviously do if I was trying to be 'cool' as you say), by all means go ahead

I said 'most' which, if you're familiar with English, doesn't mean 'all'. It was also tongue in cheek since obviously I've no way to know the demographics of this board but apparently it offended you all so greatly. Lighten up

The only person who seems to be offended in this thread was you. Just simply stated the hypocrisy in blindly labeling people and then getting offended when someone does the same to you.

funny how many times the 1 black guy amongst hundreds of white guys is called a race baiter, especially when race wasn't mentioned once in my post, unless you consider Scandinavian a race which would further prove your idiocy. Fact is I don't know you from any other poster but clearly you know me. Maybe get off my nuts and mind your biz and you don't have to get smacked with truth anymore you loser

You're not the only black person posting here. You're not special. Get over yourself. When are you going to leave like you said?

funny how many times the 1 black guy amongst hundreds of white guys is called a race baiter, especially when race wasn't mentioned once in my post, unless you consider Scandinavian a race which would further prove your idiocy. Fact is I don't know you from any other poster but clearly you know me. Maybe get off my nuts and mind your biz and you don't have to get smacked with truth anymore you loser

That's simply a ridiculous statement.

Two of my high school classmates were drafted into the NHL. I am now prepared to make declarative statements about the inner workings of hockey.

Come to think of it, I know a guy who became a plumber. I am now prepared to make declarative statements about the physical and chemical properties of water.

So you went out to dinner with the godparents of an Alabama commit who also happens to have a mother who is good friends with your wife, and at no point during the course of this meal did anything get brought up about under-the-table inducements for athletes. Well, case closed!

Some of the cars were pretty dated Dodge/Chrysler/Chevy stuff sitting on fancy rims. A couple others were probably not theirs, like the guy with a Rolls, i8, and Vette. But yeah, it's shady stuff.

I wouldn't mind seeing a tradeoff in football/basketball, where in exchange for players giving up some of their rights to choose a school (some type of draft-ish rule set to increase parity), they get paid + scholly. And each school would be able to pay roughly the same. Yeah, that becomes more of a minor league system, but the minor leagues are way less shady than the NCAA can be.

I'm not exactly here to defend oleboy, because he's been a little nasty throughout this exchange as well but in fairness, he probably DOES have a better sense of what actually goes down with recruiting than the average poster here. He may be right or wrong in this case...I have no clue.

I don't always agree with him, but I do sympathize with his point of view as a black man who frequents a message board that consists of predominately white posters talking about predominately black athletes. Again, though, he is not completely innocent in this particular case - we all say things on here from time to time that we regret and I bet oleboy himself would change a couple posts if he could. I know this all sounds very preachy (and maybe oleboy really doesn't want me sticking up for him) but this entire thread had a very 'gross' feeling to it and I wanted to speak up. Hate away and Go Gophers!

You're not the only black person posting here. You're not special. Get over yourself. When are you going to leave like you said?

I'm very special. And your anger towards me is very validating, thanks.

So you went out to dinner with the godparents of an Alabama commit who also happens to have a mother who is good friends with your wife, and at no point during the course of this meal did anything get brought up about under-the-table inducements for athletes. Well, case closed!

Lol. In case you missed it, the point was I know and have recently talked to the mother of a Bama commit about the subject of this thread. Did I volunteer this info up front? No. But I did when my opinion was challenged as if it had no basis in reality. So feel free to mock and be silly but I'm the only one here to provide context for my opinion and apparently the only one that knows anyone involved in the discussion at hand.

I'm not exactly here to defend oleboy, because he's been a little nasty throughout this exchange as well but in fairness, he probably DOES have a better sense of what actually goes down with recruiting than the average poster here. He may be right or wrong in this case...I have no clue.

I don't always agree with him, but I do sympathize with his point of view as a black man who frequents a message board that consists of predominately white posters talking about predominately black athletes. Again, though, he is not completely innocent in this particular case - we all say things on here from time to time that we regret and I bet oleboy himself would change a couple posts if he could. I know this all sounds very preachy (and maybe oleboy really doesn't want me sticking up for him) but this entire thread had a very 'gross' feeling to it and I wanted to speak up. Hate away and Go Gophers!

Happens all the time. When facts are brought up (or real anecdotes), those with opposing views seek to discredit or belittle the person since they can't dispute the logic. Then if there's even a sniff of a racial aspect, the known black person gets accused of being a 'race baiter's which is a term created and used exclusively by racist white people (whether they believe they are or not).

To get back on the topic, I think a lot of people are not taking a serious look at this. Basically every actual luxury car in these pictures are at a gas station pump or in a parking lot. Who in the world waits till they are at a gas station to take a picture of their new car? Most would do it in the dealership with the keys in their hands, or in their own driveway. So any of those are not their cars, just seeing a cool car and taking a picture with it. When I was a kid, I did that all the time! How often do you get to stand next to a $100k+ car?

The other cars that appear to actually be owned by the players are not nice cars. First one looks like a 2008 Charger with tinted windows and newer knock off rims. Who gives a sheet about that? Saw a couple trucks that are from around 2009-2010. That isn't impressive. Very affordable vehicles with some inexpensive upgrades to make them look nice.

How many parents save up a little for college for their kids? When they have earned a full ride, why not buy them a car with that money. Had a friend in college with a full ride. He lived in a cheaper town home and used his extra money to buy a nice Ford Mustang, and then would continue using his extra housing money to upgrade it every couple months. Not that uncommon.

Funny how people get so worked up about something without actually thinking about what they are getting worked up about. I would love to see the Bama program burn to the ground, along with USC and NC bball. But this isn't it.

To get back on the topic, I think a lot of people are not taking a serious look at this. Basically every actual luxury car in these pictures are at a gas station pump or in a parking lot. Who in the world waits till they are at a gas station to take a picture of their new car? Most would do it in the dealership with the keys in their hands, or in their own driveway. So any of those are not their cars, just seeing a cool car and taking a picture with it. When I was a kid, I did that all the time! How often do you get to stand next to a $100k+ car?

The other cars that appear to actually be owned by the players are not nice cars. First one looks like a 2008 Charger with tinted windows and newer knock off rims. Who gives a sheet about that? Saw a couple trucks that are from around 2009-2010. That isn't impressive. Very affordable vehicles with some inexpensive upgrades to make them look nice.

How many parents save up a little for college for their kids? When they have earned a full ride, why not buy them a car with that money. Had a friend in college with a full ride. He lived in a cheaper town home and used his extra money to buy a nice Ford Mustang, and then would continue using his extra housing money to upgrade it every couple months. Not that uncommon.

Funny how people get so worked up about something without actually thinking about what they are getting worked up about. I would love to see the Bama program burn to the ground, along with USC and NC bball. But this isn't it.

amazing what a little logic and critical thinking can do. Completely agree

I'm not exactly here to defend oleboy, because he's been a little nasty throughout this exchange as well but in fairness, he probably DOES have a better sense of what actually goes down with recruiting than the average poster here.

Based on what? Because he's black? Does that mean that Bill Cosby knows more about college football recruiting than I do, because I'm white?

Yeah, someday down the road, we might see a bunch of former Bama players on TV, telling some Nightline guy all about all of the money they got from boosters, but just like UCLA and Wooden, nothing will come of it. Instead they will continue to go after programs like the Gopher's. What was it that they banned the Basketball Gophers from the 1977 NCAA tournament for, one single player selling a couple of his game tickets? If it was more than that, fine, count me as uninformed or misinformed, but that is what I heard it was for.

The thing is, in reality, a good majority of employers out there, and I'm not talking about mom and pop shops located somewhere in SEC territory, but businesses that are going to care about being successful and/or making a profit, will take a Minnesota graduate over an Alabama graduate any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Go look up the two schools on Wikipedia and you will see in the Bama article, how they brag about their 22nd ranked Law school, and their 58th ranked Business school and their 61st ranked Nursing program and their 104th ranked Engineering program???

That is the best they got.

Now go look up what the UMn site brags about, and see if you can find them even mentioning any program outside of the Top 25, or even outside of the Top 10 for the most part, much less 58th or 61st or 104th??

Overall rankings say a lot, too.

Bama people like to mention the one US News and World Report ranking that has them at #103, the same lame ass source has UMn at #71.

Looking only at that ranking, you'd think that there might not be much of a difference between the two schools, cept that Bama has a legit fb program and Minnesota doesn't.

But that is the National Ranking. The same source's Global ranking has UMn at #38 and Bama at #431.

Then the Forbes Ranking has UMn at #119 to Bama's #252.

Then the Washington Monthly Ranking has UMn at #53 and Bama at #260.

Then the ARWU national ranking has UMn at #24 and well, for some reason there is no natl ARWU ranking for Bama? Wonder why? If it was any good, they would have listed it.

Then looking at the Global Rankings,

The QS Global rankings has UMn ranked #137 and Bama ranked #601-650.

And the Washington Times ranking has Minnesota ranked #53 and Bama is apparently not ranked.

And the Global ARWU rankings has Minnesota ranked #33 and again, Bama is no where listed among their Top 500.

So outside of producing better football players, which they may need to buy? What in the world does Bama produce that Minnesota doesn't do better at producing???

A job in the NFL for their football players?

I'm sure the cars are some combination of 1) gifts (from boosters, family, friends); 2) not really their car; 3) "borrowed" cars that they get to borrow for the years they are at Bama (either borrowed from family, friends, or boosters). I think it would be pretty naive to think that at least a few of those cars weren't gifts (or long-term loans) from boosters.

I am always amazed though how much money (as a % of their income) some people spend on cars and it probably is amplified the younger you are. Personally I'd rather spend my money on my house or travel, but to each their own.

I'm not angry toward you at all. Just pointing you out as the poser you are.

lol. Poser? First this ain't 1992. Second, I been real all my life. Disagree all you want but calling me a 'poser' just proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

Based on what? Because he's black? Does that mean that Bill Cosby knows more about college football recruiting than I do, because I'm white?

So with all the information regarding me and my thoughts available to you, you presume the only thing that makes me knowlegeable is my blackness, yet you just accused me earlier of 'race baiting'. Things that make you go hmm...

lol. Poser? First this ain't 1992. Second, I been real all my life. Disagree all you want but calling me a 'poser' just proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

This ain't 1992 ...

So with all the information regarding me and my thoughts available to you, you presume the only thing that makes me knowlegeable is my blackness, yet you just accused me earlier of 'race baiting'. Things that make you go hmm...

No, I'm accurately stating that you think you have credibility because you're black, as you stated earlier in the thread (the "I'm the one black guy in a sea of Scandinavians" or whatever the quote was). And I'm stating that your line of thinking is complete BS.

And yes, you do race bait. Anytime you notice anyone saying anything negative about a black player or coach, you jump in to defend them. I don't think I've ever seen you defend a white player or coach in the same way. Weird.

No, I'm accurately stating that you think you have credibility because you're black, as you stated earlier in the thread (the "I'm the one black guy in a sea of Scandinavians" or whatever the quote was). And I'm stating that your line of thinking is complete BS.

And yes, you do race bait. Anytime you notice anyone saying anything negative about a black player or coach, you jump in to defend them. I don't think I've ever seen you defend a white player or coach in the same way. Weird.

go back and actually read and its clear I never said anything like that. Because that would be stupid. Of course that assumes you care about truth and not just clinging to the narrative you've created and the caricature of 'me' you've also created. And again, 'race bait' is a trash term created and used by racist people. You keep using it though. Interesting. Its also an absolutely idiotic statement to claim that I, A- defend a 'black player or coach' whenever anyone says something negative about them and B- that I never 'defend' white players in whatever weird way you claim I do the first thing. A simple browsing of my post history invalidates your idiotic claim and I challenge you to provide facts to back it up. You want to call me out, here's your chance. Prove your claims about me. My posts here are public. I've also posted on Rivals in the past and 247. Go check, look it up, prove your point. If you can't, be a man and retract and apologize. You're barking up the wrong tree with your silly, baseless allegations that are based on nothing more than the fact that I'm black and on occasion provide dissenting opinions that make you uncomfortable. So come on, my fellow Gopher fan, prove yourself accurate if you can. As I'm 95% certain that you'll provide some lame reasoning as to why you can't or won't do so, I'll just assume you're an angry internet (possible, may likely) racist until proven otherwise

Matter of fact, being bored at lunch, I'll take the liberty of discrediting you myself from my post history
Defending WHITE basketball player Micheal Hurt
He'll be ok. He's the type of guy that is a valuable player by his 2nd or 3rd year. He's kind of a stretch 4 type and I think he can handle it a little bit. He doesn't play long enough stretches to ever really get comfortable or truly involved in the game so its hard to expect much from him. Some guys either have the shooter mindset or are the hyper energy guys that can come in and provide a spark for a 3-4 mn run but I don't think he fits that bill.
Defending WHITE player Joey King
Possibly. King was a great example of a guy who was forced into a much bigger role than he was suited for
Defending WHITE coach Warriner
would've been a terrible OC hire. Guy struggled to call plays and gameplan with the talent of OSU and he was supposed to do well with ours? Nah. But appears to be a great OL hire. Now we'll see how much of it was him and how much was the talent.

Your turn

Top Bottom