Alabama's Recruiting Dominance the Past Few Years Shows Whats Wrong With The NCAA

Just a wild thought here, but maybe Alabama gets good recruiting classes because they have a really good program and they play for the National Championship every freakin' year.

I'm not naive (even tho I am a small-town Scandinavian) - I understand that some level of cheating goes on in major college sports. But even if Bama is handing out free cars and hot blondes (or sexy black chicks - don't want to leave any ethnic group out) to every recruit, someone still has to coach the team and they still have to play the games.

If I could wave a magic wand and end all cheating/illegal recruiting in college sports tomorrow, Bama would still be really good, and the Gophers would not suddenly be transformed into a top program. The "oh yeah, they cheat" argument works about as well as the "we got screwed by the refs" argument.

1 - common sense
2 - not being an old small town Scandinavian like most of this board I've known a number of guys that have played high level college sports.

Oleboy - with all due respect, you came out with this statement, implying that you have some knowledge or insight that others lacked. It was completely unnecessary. You could have started your post with the story about your wife's friends and made the same point. You chose to start by taking a shot - either at small-town people, scandinavians, or both - and then you get miffed when others bring up race. Again, unnecessary. I'm a small town Scandinavian. I've met a lot of big-time athletes, but I won't bore you with the stories. Where a person comes from, or his ethnic background, don't mean squat. It's about what type of person you are.

Matter of fact, being bored at lunch, I'll take the liberty of discrediting you myself from my post history
Defending WHITE basketball player Micheal Hurt

Defending WHITE player Joey King

Defending WHITE coach Warriner

Your turn

Haha. Nothing you said in any of those posts is defending anyone. It's all analysis. Saying Michael Hurt is a stretch 4 is analysis, not defense. Saying Joey King was forced into a bigger role than he was suited for is analysis, not defense. Saying Ed Warinner is a great OL hire (boy, you really went out on a limb there) is analysis, not defense.

Again, when are you leaving the board? What you're doing is the opposite of leaving.

Oleboy - with all due respect, you came out with this statement, implying that you have some knowledge or insight that others lacked. It was completely unnecessary. You could have started your post with the story about your wife's friends and made the same point. You chose to start by taking a shot - either at small-town people, scandinavians, or both - and then you get miffed when others bring up race. Again, unnecessary. I'm a small town Scandinavian. I've met a lot of big-time athletes, but I won't bore you with the stories. Where a person comes from, or his ethnic background, don't mean squat. It's about what type of person you are.
All due respect as well, it was a joke. Maybe a bad one, but still a joke. I grew up in MN. Outside of the TC its 95% small town Germans, Scandanavians, Norwegians ( I even looked it up. 38% of this state is of German descent, 28% of Scandanavian.) Its also not exactly an athlete factory other than hockey which I know little about. I've no idea why that statement got you guys soooo bothered. Other thing is, I didn't bring up race. Scandanavian is a nationality, not a race. Others brought up race. So explain to me the 1 to 1 of me stating most on this board (tongue in cheek) mirror the demographics of the state with people bringing race into the conversation. And also, do you disagree that one from a larger population center is more likely to know more high level athletes than one from a small one? So again, I made a joke based on empirical facts and everyone got emotional and started talking black and white. I didn't make any moral or ethical statements about where anyone is from, I didn't disparage small town MN, I simply stated that because of where I've been I'd guessed I've been around these situations more than most on this board. Nobody has actually been able to dispute that claim. So sure, I could've made my post with the joke but the reaction far outweighs the action

Haha. Nothing you said in any of those posts is defending anyone. It's all analysis. Saying Michael Hurt is a stretch 4 is analysis, not defense. Saying Joey King was forced into a bigger role than he was suited for is analysis, not defense. Saying Ed Warinner is a great OL hire (boy, you really went out on a limb there) is analysis, not defense.

Again, when are you leaving the board? What you're doing is the opposite of leaving.

lol. You claimed I defended black players and coaches whenever anyone said anything negative and that I didn't do the same for white players and coaches. I just provided proof and now your claim is that providing analysis is not defending? You're a joke. I suspect a racist one as well. Still waiting on proof from you on your first claim, btw.

Just a wild thought here, but maybe Alabama gets good recruiting classes because they have a really good program and they play for the National Championship every freakin' year.

I'm not naive (even tho I am a small-town Scandinavian) - I understand that some level of cheating goes on in major college sports. But even if Bama is handing out free cars and hot blondes (or sexy black chicks - don't want to leave any ethnic group out) to every recruit, someone still has to coach the team and they still have to play the games.

If I could wave a magic wand and end all cheating/illegal recruiting in college sports tomorrow, Bama would still be really good, and the Gophers would not suddenly be transformed into a top program. The "oh yeah, they cheat" argument works about as well as the "we got screwed by the refs" argument.

Hey. Just what do you have against asians you racist bigot. ;). Just kidding you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

lol. You claimed I defended black players and coaches whenever anyone said anything negative and that I didn't do the same for white players and coaches. I just provided proof and now your claim is that providing analysis is not defending? You're a joke. I suspect a racist one as well. Still waiting on proof from you on your first claim, btw.

You didn't provide proof of anything, other than your firm grasp of the obvious. Analysis isn't defense. Was someone trying to claim that Michael Hurt isn't a stretch 4, or that Ed Warinner was a poor OL hire? Stating obvious and noncontroversial facts isn't defending someone.

Still waiting for you to leave the board as you promised, btw.

You didn't provide proof of anything, other than your firm grasp of the obvious. Analysis isn't defense. Was someone trying to claim that Michael Hurt isn't a stretch 4, or that Ed Warinner was a poor OL hire? Stating obvious and noncontroversial facts isn't defending someone.

Still waiting for you to leave the board as you promised, btw.

goalposts moved. You still haven't backed up your first claim. Still waiting...

What claim was that?

lol. Not only do you misquote me and misrepresent my words when they're easily accessible in this very thread, you don't even remember your own lies

And yes, you do race bait. Anytime you notice anyone saying anything negative about a black player or coach, you jump in to defend them.

I've given you multiple opportunities to prove this lie to be true. Still waiting....

In today's world, if players were getting cars, it would come out. All it would take is one player not getting playing time he was promised, move schools, and expose the recruiting violations.

Also, Ken Handy-Holly is sitting on a car in his Twitter pic. I am certain MN boosters gave that to him.

In today's world, if players were getting cars, it would come out. All it would take is one player not getting playing time he was promised, move schools, and expose the recruiting violations.

Also, Ken Handy-Holly is sitting on a car in his Twitter pic. I am certain MN boosters gave that to him.

Some do and will but when college is over.

Arian Foster
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/20/arian-foster-admits-getting-money-in-college/

Terrelle Pryor, Darren McFadden, Reggie Bush
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/college-athlete-car-scandals/#slide-50050

Former Auburn players Troy Reddick, Chaz Ramsey and Raven Gray
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-players-money-hbo-real-sports/1#.WJuZ6G8rLDA

I'm sure there are others that don't say anything because they don't want to sully the reputation of their school.

Regardless of what most think, I think the NCAA needs to follow suit with the NFL in that the richer shouldn't always get richer. The NFL has a draft order in reverse to their finish so that the bottom teams with the worst records have a chance to get the top draft picks. Not actually sure how this would work with NCAA but something similar would help level the playing field. As per example, maybe the poorest Power Five team(as per several different standards) would get 30?? New scholarships while the two teams playing in the championship game would be allowed 5 new ones. Bowl participants would get 8/10, etc.. smarter people than me could find something that would be equitable. Somehow, someway get to a point where the top recruits aren't all bunched up in 3 or 4 teams or conferences.

Your turn

You realize that a good portion of the people you're arguing with have been defending the 10 African American athletes in the whole EoAA mess, right?

I have seen very few people come at discussions based on race on here.

I also sort of get what you were trying to get at with your post, I just think it was bad form. It was also incorrect. I'd guess there are probably more people in here from the Twin Cities than small towns. I'd guess most people here have spent some time around D1 athletes.

Generally, you wanted to discuss a certain naivety you think some posters have in regards to modern culture and you brought up geography and nationality to prove your point. I think the substantive portion of your argument is always going to get lost in that kind of noise.

Regardless of what most think, I think the NCAA needs to follow suit with the NFL in that the richer shouldn't always get richer. The NFL has a draft order in reverse to their finish so that the bottom teams with the worst records have a chance to get the top draft picks. Not actually sure how this would work with NCAA but something similar would help level the playing field. As per example, maybe the poorest Power Five team(as per several different standards) would get 30?? New scholarships while the two teams playing in the championship game would be allowed 5 new ones. Bowl participants would get 8/10, etc.. smarter people than me could find something that would be equitable. Somehow, someway get to a point where the top recruits aren't all bunched up in 3 or 4 teams or conferences.

There are also things done in the NFL that make this a reality. They have a salary cap (and a minimum). Every facility has to reach a certain level or the NFL supports for the franchise to move. Essentially, every NFL franchise is expected to make a similar level of commitment (obviously not equal, but similar).

That's simply not the case with the NCAA. A lot of the lesser programs don't put as much into it.

You realize that a good portion of the people you're arguing with have been defending the 10 African American athletes in the whole EoAA mess, right?

I have seen very few people come at discussions based on race on here.

I also sort of get what you were trying to get at with your post, I just think it was bad form. It was also incorrect. I'd guess there are probably more people in here from the Twin Cities than small towns. I'd guess most people here have spent some time around D1 athletes.

Generally, you wanted to discuss a certain naivety you think some posters have in regards to modern culture and you brought up geography and nationality to prove your point. I think the substantive portion of your argument is always going to get lost in that kind of noise.

I hear you though I never brought race into this specific conversation. I also wasn't even making claims that I know oh so much. All the hoopla came after I responded to the question of why I felt like I knew what I was talking about.

I hear you though I never brought race into this specific conversation. I also wasn't even making claims that I know oh so much. All the hoopla came after I responded to the question of why I felt like I knew what I was talking about.

Race can be defined as a genetically differentiated population, such as Scandinavians.

Is Africa a country? Is Minnesota a state known for its large African population and culture? Are you an idiot?

Yes. Somali, Liberian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, and some disputed areas.

Race can be defined as a genetically differentiated population, such as Scandinavians.

That's a loose definition, especially in this nation and I doubt if a white person used the term it'd be seen as racial. All good though. Reasonable minds can disagree

Yes. Somali, Liberian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, and some disputed areas.

Most people outside of MN don't believe there are any minorities here besides Prince and Morris Day. So naw, I can't give you that one in terms of what we're known for. We are known as a state full of folks with heavy accents and Viking history.

Most people outside of MN don't believe there are any minorities here besides Prince and Morris Day. So naw, I can't give you that one in terms of what we're known for. We are known as a state full of folks with heavy accents and Viking history.

I think that as Minnesota changes, so too is that perception. I generally find though that many non-Minnesotans are pretty ignorant about what Minnesota is like, other than it's cold here. Many don't even realize we have the 16th largest metro area in the country here.

I think that as Minnesota changes, so too is that perception. I generally find though that many non-Minnesotans are pretty ignorant about what Minnesota is like, other than it's cold here. Many don't even realize we have the 16th largest metro area in the country here.
Have you ever lived out of state? The perception is ridiculous. I live in IL literally 5 mns from the WI border and I regularly have people say stuff like 'isn't it cold in MN?' as if we're 18 hours away. Not to mention the many times I got the 'I didn't know there were black people in MN' joke or even the 'I didn't know there were REAL black people from MN'. Thats partially why its funny so many people got bothered by being called small town Scandanavians as that's what most of this country thinks of MN

Have you ever lived out of state? The perception is ridiculous. I live in IL literally 5 mns from the WI border and I regularly have people say stuff like 'isn't it cold in MN?' as if we're 18 hours away. Not to mention the many times I got the 'I didn't know there were black people in MN' joke or even the 'I didn't know there were REAL black people from MN'. Thats partially why its funny so many people got bothered by being called small town Scandanavians as that's what most of this country thinks of MN

Why are we supposed to care what random people from across the country think of us? People can live in ignorance all they want, it doesn't affect my life whatsoever.

Why are we supposed to care what random people from across the country think of us? People can live in ignorance all they want, it doesn't affect my life whatsoever.

why are you posting about this when you've yet to prove that you're not a liar OR apologized for lying? Still waiting...

There is already revenue sharing between conference participants. MN receives more than it's fair share. I think this includes tv, bowl, gate revenue.

It seems like most helmet schools cycle in and out of relevancy. Alabama has had a really strong run but I expect their time will come. And, there are upstarts like Oregon, Baylor, TCU, that make their run at the helmet schools from time to time.

I don't think the public is so worn out with the college football model as it is. That could happen down the road but based on viewership and revenue seems like it hasn't plateaued. Sure, they could reduce scholarships or institute a point handicap system to try to make it more equitable but that would be really, really tough to do in a fair way.

The top level European soccer league, whatever it's called, has had one program (Manchester?) win the championship something like 16 out of 20 times (may be a slight exaggeration) and their model still seems to work despite those absurd outcomes.

why are you posting about this when you've yet to prove that you're not a liar OR apologized for lying? Still waiting...

Rich coming from the liar who started a whiny look-at-me thread to say he was quitting the board and is still posting here.

Rich coming from the liar who started a whiny look-at-me thread to say he was quitting the board and is still posting here.

You've brought that up repeatedly throughout this thread but still don't realize I don't care what you think about it. So if you're trying to get points for that its a waste of time. But again, you've yet to prove your outlandish statements NOR apologize for accusing me of being racist with no proof. Still waiting...

Also, I did you the favor of finding my old thread. At no point do I say I'm 'quitting the board'. Your characterization of a post that states 'I know nobody cares but allow me to vent briefly' as 'whiny look at me' is both silly, immature and a lie. So again, you are a proven liar. I invite you to apologize, privately or publicly, if you are, in fact a man that can admit when he's wrong and not just some silly liar.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?72565-Well-it-was-a-good-(well-mediocre-maybe-even-bad)-run

Top Bottom