Current Players

CycloneGopher

Reaction score
I'm curious as to know more about current players feelings. Haven't seen much from them in terms of thought on Fleck nor hear much from Fleck on them.

While I know it was important for him to hit the ground running recruiting wise I think he's missed the boat on talking more about current players/team with the media.

Nor have we heard much from current players. Any of them give shout outs to new class signings or do anything to show support for new staff?

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

He said he'll be talking more with current guys these next few weeks. I'm sure news will start to trickle out then.

My expectation is that most will adapt well, but if I was the sort guy that liked the approaches of TC and Jerry Kill (and there some differences) the Row the Boat World might shake me up bit. Some will shake it off, a few will leave or not improve or buy in.

At this point it does not matter, it has all changed. Get on board, or get off.

He really didn't have time to deal much with current players as bad as that sounds. My personal thought is the last 5 in the scandal will all be back and that will help refocus/reunite the team. Fleck certainly hasn't made any illusion to wanting those guys gone and they seem like a very likely positive to move the whole program forward.

RTB!!!

I'm curious as to know more about current players feelings. Haven't seen much from them in terms of thought on Fleck nor hear much from Fleck on them.

While I know it was important for him to hit the ground running recruiting wise I think he's missed the boat on talking more about current players/team with the media.

Nor have we heard much from current players. Any of them give shout outs to new class signings or do anything to show support for new staff?

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

No. He probably talks to the players every day. He doesn't have to talk to the media about them. There is no reason.

At the GLC event he offered high praise for the previous regime and the linebacking corps coming back.

At the GLC event he offered high praise for the previous regime and the linebacking corps coming back.

I believe he said the former coaching staff did an "elite job of recruiting and developing linebackers."

Also, mentioned that Rodney and Shannon were already impressive.

He said Steven Richardson has already been a great leader for the team.

I believe he said the former coaching staff did an "elite job of recruiting and developing linebackers."

Also, mentioned that Rodney and Shannon were already impressive.

He said Steven Richardson has already been a great leader for the team.

Yes, he singled out how Great Richardson has been to "them" (new coaching staff).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When he talked about recruits and filling holes he has also mentioned players he likes on the team and where they are strong.

It is gonna take time, but every team goes through transitions like this.

As for hearing what the players think, none of them can / should say anything bad publicly, and there are a ton of players so I'm sure a lot of different feelings. So it will be hard to get a real feel for what they all think.

However there are key guys that are team leaders that need to buy into the program or they'll bring others down

Coughlin is one and the fact that his brother is walking on seems to say a lot about his families feelings
also a lot of leadership in the LB corps and that seems to be a good mesh so far

Key position in the off season is the QB and that positions leadership. is it a new guy or is it a Rhoda/Croft combination?

I think things will go well. Remember, Jerry Kill demanded a culture that's not far from the type Fleck demands. Most
were recruited to that.

He also ripped them for not having any depth at DL.

When he noted depth at DL he wasn't talking about the previous coaching staff....

He was asked about holes to fill and noted they had a big one there.

Someone needs to find out if bricklayers can row.

However there are key guys that are team leaders that need to buy into the program or they'll bring others down

Coughlin is one and the fact that his brother is walking on seems to say a lot about his families feelings
also a lot of leadership in the LB corps and that seems to be a good mesh so far

Key position in the off season is the QB and that positions leadership. is it a new guy or is it a Rhoda/Croft combination?

Coughlin tweeted his support when Fleck was hired.

Last night when Fleck talked about the previous staff doing an "elite job of recruiting and developing linebackers" he also mentioned Coughlin and Kamal Martin.

He also ripped them for not having any depth at DL.

Don't know that he ripped them, but I see your point. He made it sound like the cupboard is bare. I count 12 returning D-linemen.

Don't know that he ripped them, but I see your point. He made it sound like the cupboard is bare. I count 12 returning D-linemen.

They are fine at DE, but DT is woefully undermanned. Their youngest DT is a red-shirt junior who can graduate after next season. This is why they made it such a priority to get Schirck and Robinson and Silver with the incoming recruits.

12? Not counting the recruiting class, they were going to have 9 scholarship defensive lineman on roster for next year but Tamarion Johnson is not likely to return, so really 8. 4 of those will be seniors next year.

Fleck specifically called out DT. When he took over they were going to have 1 DT on roster for 2018, with one committed - Croslen who didn't sign with anyone yesterday. He said they likely play 5 during a game. Yeah the cupboard was bare.

They are fine at DE, but DT is woefully undermanned. Their youngest DT is a red-shirt junior who can graduate after next season. This is why they made it such a priority to get Schirck and Robinson and Silver with the incoming recruits.

So none of the current were/can be converted?

So none of the current were/can be converted?

As far as I know, no ends have been converted. They may not have to in the end. The 4 upperclassmen can hold down the fort for most downs, but ideally you want to have at least a 5th rotational guy to keep everyone fresh. That could be handled by Silver or one of the incoming freshmen. We'll have to wait until training camp for that decision though since none of them are enrolling early.

12? Not counting the recruiting class, they were going to have 9 scholarship defensive lineman on roster for next year but Tamarion Johnson is not likely to return, so really 8. 4 of those will be seniors next year.

Fleck specifically called out DT. When he took over they were going to have 1 DT on roster for 2018, with one committed - Croslen who didn't sign with anyone yesterday. He said they likely play 5 during a game. Yeah the cupboard was bare.

As of today, there are 17 DLs listed on the updated roster, he recruited 6. I was off by one.

As far as I know, no ends have been converted. They may not have to in the end. The 4 upperclassmen can hold down the fort for most downs, but ideally you want to have at least a 5th rotational guy to keep everyone fresh. That could be handled by Silver or one of the incoming freshmen. We'll have to wait until training camp for that decision though since none of them are enrolling early.

I do know Stetler was converted. Would seem logical that they would routinely do it with that position being seemingly hard to recruit out of HS.

I am interested in hearing from the players about the new S and C coach. Hopefully we will see a more physical offensive and defensive line. Big and ugly doesn't cut it any more. Now you need to be big, ugly, strong, and physical. Something that has been lacking under the Klein regime.

I wouldn't worry too much about the current players. Once they get to work and get used to the style of the new coaches all things will work out. This is one of the better groups of athletes all at one time we have had in the program. It is not a group void of talent. We do lack depth at DT and the Dline in general. It is why the team tends to wear down in the 4th quarter, because the lack of substitution depth, and guys that can give extended blows without the talent level falling off. This is not a new problem, I think even the old staff recognized this weakness.

As of today, there are 17 DLs listed on the updated roster, he recruited 6. I was off by one.

You're counting his current recruits, walk-ons and Tamarion Johnson.

When he took over on January 6th the cupboard was very bare and that's what he was talking about.

You're counting his current recruits, walk-ons and Tamarion Johnson.

When he took over on January 6th the cupboard was very bare and that's what he was talking about.

Correct. Updated roster.

Top Bottom