STrib: Pardon us, P.J. Fleck. It's going to take a while to get used to 'elite'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand Ball:

New Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck used the word “elite” 27 times Wednesday as he talked for nearly an hour about the Gophers recruiting class — the first since he was hired as head coach last month.

He talked about the most “elite talent,” the “most elite staff in America” and 25 more elites in describing a class that by all accounts improved in the short amount of time he had to work on it.

I know this because I counted.

I counted because outside of the big question — will Fleck succeed at Minnesota? — the next biggest question you tend to hear about the new coach is some variation of, “what’s up with this guy and the word ‘elite?’”

http://www.startribune.com/pardon-u...-take-a-while-to-get-used-to-elite/412479183/

Go Gophers!!

Were not use to that word...were use to average.

If it were Mike Zimmer, the STrib & Rand would cream itself at the use of the word elite (Zimmer could only be allowed to use the word elite in all lower case).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a word that quality winners use. The Strib knows nothing about quality or winning.

If you set high goals, you may miss them, true. But no one ever climbed a mountain by deciding that the best you can do is a hill. And yes, Fleck and Brewster both were optimistic. If Brewster had taken us to the Rose Bowl, the Rose Bowl turf would be a sacred Gophers relic. Brewster had his faults, but I'm not going to fault him for being optimistic.

Doesn't matter what the slogan is or whatever, that's the coach's call to get the players on board with it and etc.

If he wins it looks great. If he doesn't, not so much.

Pretty much everything slogan and tradition in CFB is pretty silly at face value...

With you Slab, don't care about slogans - already sick of "elite" and its misuse - but if it resonates with the players and generates excitement, I'll roll with it.

When he explains in detail why he uses the word so much, it makes perfect sense. These people are just going to have to get used to it, because he's not going to stop.

When he explains in detail why he uses the word so much, it makes perfect sense. These people are just going to have to get used to it, because he's not going to stop.

Yeah for all of PJ's sayings, there's at least meat or a concept there beyond something like say "Is this good for the company?"

I don't think once every two minutes is that bad. I was there last night and the use of "elite" did not seem excessive to me. These writers want to set things up so that they can trash him later. What if we win five games this year but win the B1G West in three years? If you get to set the bar and make statements about how good the team is and the returning talent that is available is good and this is not rebuilding then you get to be a typical Minnesotan and trash PJ if we have a rough year or two. You can bash the administration for paying "elite" money for and average coach, you can complain about everything. Make your own standards based on your own narrative and then trash the guy. Lovely. I thought Fleck's remarks were great. He has a vision and a goal (to win championships) and he expects to be held accountable. He said that.

Its just a simple game of repetitive association. He says it so much that rubes and recruits will think "Elite!" whenever PJ Fleck pops up

Who has the issue here? Fleck using the word elite a lot or someone so obsessed with it that he counts how many times he says it over the course of an evening...

The things we already don't like about PJ Fleck.

1. The use of the word elite
2. Row the boat
3. Thumps up sign
4. How he looked throwing plates to the Red Panda
5. How he looked throwing tee shirts to the crowd at the Wolves game
6. How he reacted to a Andrew Wiggin's dunk
7. He didn't wear a collared shirt to the Wolves game
8. sparkling cider
9. Gopher fans buying into PJ Fleck

Still to come as things we don't like about Fleck - how he runs spring practice and the spring game

During his Barreiro interview yesterday Fleck said the one surprise for him so far is how negative the media is here.
It is really annoying that it persists the way it does. Sid is about the only writer that is mostly positive. Pretty much the rest are very negative. You could expand it to the radio people too (in general).

2. Row the boat
3. Thumps up sign
8. sparkling cider

Still to come as things we don't like about Fleck - how he runs spring practice and the spring game

Jib, dude, have you seen his jib?!?!?!

2. Row the boat
3. Thumps up sign
8. sparkling cider

Still to come as things we don't like about Fleck

Don't put me with that group. You use the word we...I'm not part of that.

2. Row the boat
3. Thumps up sign
8. sparkling cider

Your forgetting some others.

1) His use of timeouts during the first half.
2) His use of timeouts during the second half.
3) 1st down play calling
4) 2nd down play calling
5) 3rd down play calling
6) 4th down play calling
7) going for two or not
8) recruiting kids with Western Michigan offers :cool:

.....just to name a few. :)

Hate to break it to people who don't like his shtick. But it's not for you. So get over it. No one is asking you to say it. You sound like the codger telling the kids to get off his lawn.

During his Barreiro interview yesterday Fleck said the one surprise for him so far is how negative the media is here.
It is really annoying that it persists the way it does. Sid is about the only writer that is mostly positive. Pretty much the rest are very negative. You could expand it to the radio people too (in general).

I wondered how long it would Fleck to recognize this. It is a pathetic thing....

And as far as the article goes, no matter who came in as coach, the media was going to find points to belittle the coach on.
Every sports segment involving Ruesse and a Gopher football topic makes me want punch him in the throat... He is like a 12 year old.

I don't think once every two minutes is that bad. I was there last night and the use of "elite" did not seem excessive to me. These writers want to set things up so that they can trash him later. What if we win five games this year but win the B1G West in three years? If you get to set the bar and make statements about how good the team is and the returning talent that is available is good and this is not rebuilding then you get to be a typical Minnesotan and trash PJ if we have a rough year or two. You can bash the administration for paying "elite" money for and average coach, you can complain about everything. Make your own standards based on your own narrative and then trash the guy. Lovely. I thought Fleck's remarks were great. He has a vision and a goal (to win championships) and he expects to be held accountable. He said that.

Was I not hearing correctly, or did he refer to one of the players as the only 2-star signed? Could go back and watch again, but it took me three sittings to get through the first time...

I wondered how long it would Fleck to recognize this. It is a pathetic thing....

And as far as the article goes, no matter who came in as coach, the media was going to find points to belittle the coach on.
Every sports segment involving Ruesse and a Gopher football topic makes me want punch him in the throat... He is like a 12 year old.

You don't think Coyle clued him in at all?

2. Row the boat
3. Thumps up sign
8. sparkling cider

His poor awareness of Twin Cities geography

Apparently Tyler Moore isn't down with "Elite" (see Jan 28 tweet), and someone is taking him to task.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ohh_MOE?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

My question is why does this Gopher hero (to some) feel the need to publicly disparage the program that he was sooo proud to be a part of?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom