Pioneer Press: For Gophers football recruits, transition to new staff was smooth

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jace:

The few short days of uncertainty weren’t fun for the local Gophers commits. After Tracy Claeys was fired, the program’s new leader, and direction, were unknown.

The crop of then-unsigned commits didn’t even know if they’d still have spots on the team.

“Of course you’re concerned for the kids. I just knew how badly they wanted to be Gophers,” East Ridge coach Dan Fritze said. “There was that unknown there. It was a short period, but it was there. I know they were really concerned about it.”

East Ridge kicker Grant Ryerse tried to stay away from the issue until things cleared up. “Because I knew once I started to think about it, and looking up articles online, that I’d get too wrapped up in it,” he said. “I couldn’t do it.”

But the uncertainty didn’t last long. Ryerse said he and East Ridge running back Dominik London, another Gophers commit, talked to new coach P.J. Fleck the day after Fleck was hired, Jan. 7. Then their concerns were eased.

Fleck made a trip around to local schools to visit the Gophers commitments a few days later, and held on to every in-state player who had committed to the previous regime.

“I think (the coaching transition) went as smoothly as it could possibly go,” Fritze said, “and a lot of that has to do with the fact that when the new coaching staff came in, they immediately reached out and said, ‘We still want you guys.’ That was really important to those guys.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/0...s-transition-to-new-gophers-staff-was-smooth/

Go Gophers!!

I didn't like it. The article didn't mention that the Gophers supposedly have a coach from Edina.

Top Bottom