Signing Day Social - Fleck visited 7 states in 1 day, got 3 commits...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here's the beginning of the notes. I'll add, he just did his intro.

Also, if you want to watch it live -> https://www.facebook.com/GopherHole...live_video_explicit&notif_id=1485994582425420

• People are going to make fun of me on Twitter. I have a pretty thick skin, if you're going to say "Elite" and "Row the Boat" you have to.
• I know I'm different, people don't need to tell me I'm different. I'm not for everybody. I told Mark I will not leave my team before the Bowl game, and a lot of teams lost interest. I believe the U of MN is a sleeping giant.
• I couldn’t wait to get here. Change and transition is hard. You did not pick me, you didn't have a choice in the matter, but I picked you…every challenge, every success, everything. It's going to take some times. I'm not here to change your tradition, your tradition is why I came here.
• When I heard Ski-U-Mah had a boat, a paddle, water and a star, I was sold!
• If the football team wins, we all win. Academics, everything. I was a teacher, 6th grade social studies. Our players are sitting up front, 1st two rows, wearing a collared shirt. I know your profession, I know what you go through, I'm here to make sure that our athletes understand what you go through, this is your Super Bowl.
• You've got to be Elite in your life, Athletic, Academic, Spiritual and Social .
• We hit 7 cities in one day because of resources you are providing me…we got 3 committed. The resources that we have at the U are Elite and they're going to get better.
• I'm not here to compare us to anybody, we're us. We're not going to say "we want to be like that person". I was not very popular after going 1-11 at the Coaches' convention, they didn't want me to talk, that's probably why I talk so much now.
• People tell Fleck "I'm giving you one year, Coach." I may be the wealthiest unemployed man in America after one year (laughing).

I pride myself on being a cynic, but the man has grown on me. Feel like this is the best chance to break through since Holtz. I know damn well how that happened, but not getting the same vibe with Fleck.

Here are his comments on all 25 players:

• Blaise Andries - All state 1st team, #1 recruit in MN. We want to keep our players here, period. 4.0 student. I've never had a student tell me, since 7th grade I wanted to be a blank….he said an actuary. You should have seen me…what the heck is an actuary. I didn't even know what that was, he's way smarter than me. Smart men make better linemen. We're going to recruit 3 sport athletes. We want multi-sport athletes, I want to see them compete in many sports. He's an incredible athlete. We're going to build the biggest walls you've ever seen, and we're going to pay for them (laughing).
• Kyle Sassack - We brought over from WMU that was committed there, 2nd OT in MI, extremely smart, long. He holds his weight really well, will grow his weight until about 310. He's got 2 brothers. Turned down SEC and Big 10 offers. He's a phenomenal 3 sport athletes, I love 3 sport athletes, Notre Dame prep, smart kid. His Dad is a phenomenal golfer. His sister is a big time volleyball player.
• John Michael Schmitz - We knew this kid right out the gate, #1 center in the Midwest. He's one of the toughest football players you'll even be around. Tougher football players I've been around in 4 years. His Mom is a pet rescuer. Nasty grungy guys…when you bump into him, you've got to scrub your arm with bleach, in the best way possible. He's blue collar.
• Nathan Bursch - #1 TE in MN, doing everything we can to get the top prospects out of MN. Plays O and D, part of keeping the best talent inside the state of MN. RTB - RUN THE BALL! 45th Tight end in the nation.
• Jake Paulson - he's fearless, absolutely fearless. State champ. This guy is one of the highly sought after TE's, we had a way better chance of getting him here than WMU. Comes from retired Navy, serving and giving, that's the type of household. We love recruiting military families, they know what it is to fight, to be different, etc.
• Nate Umlor - 2 way player, 6 TD, 8.5 sacks, 107th recruit in the Midwest. He came to camp, set the record for unofficial visits for an institution ever. He's a "how" competitor". One of the nicest people you'll ever meet, but one of the toughest people on the football field. Turned down SEC offers, he committed to the Gophers and never saw it. That's loyalty.
• We have 2 elite RB's in Rodney and Shannnon
• Mohammed Ibrahim - ties in the DC area for a long time, watch this kid's highlight tape, he's explosive. He's a mix of Barry Sanders and Christian Okoye. One of the more impressive running backs I've watched. His Dad is an Elite soccer player. Top 35 running back.
• Dominic London - Extremely productive back, and an incredible human being. 1st team all state as a Junior. #1 RB in MN, Keeping. Minnesota. Kids. Here. Period.
• Chris Autman-Bell: He came to camp, we knew he was going to be elite, and lit it up. He has hands that I've never even seen. Similar body control, freaky athleticism. He tore a ligament in his finger…so I could hide him for 12 weeks. Gym rate.
• Demetrius Douglas - His father is Omar Douglas, set the Big 10 record with 5 TD's. He's Mr. Everything. WR. One of the 1st trips we made was a long trip to Oregon. We talked about why he should be a Gopher, we didn't talk football one time. Why he should come here, surround himself with 3.5million, the clubs, the alums…when Omar thought about is, it was his memories. Look forward to bit things.
• Harry Van Dyne - he had a ton of attention late. His Dad played WR at Michigan, and did a tremendous job, he's a freak athlete, high GPA, top 10 GPA in the state of Kansas. 6/7/8 hour radius is our targeted area, so people can drive here, bring friends, family, etc…so the Bank sells out year after year, after year, and you have to be put on the damn waiting list!
• QB's - losing a senior QB, I can't sit there and say the answer is one of these, because I haven't worked with any specifically that was a true QB at MN. It's one of the open competitions in the country.
• Ray Estes - 14-0 championship team, he's in a phone booth with speed. He's 4.4 type talent, good student, 1st one to go to college in his family, starting point guard, his sister is in the national guard. His Mom dyed her hair maroon, that's how dedicated he is. That's committed!
• Neil McLaurin -
• Tanner Morgan - 36 hour window - anytime you leave a school, it's hard. You have people that loved you, that now hate you, and vice versa. You've got recruits that want to come, and don't want to come. I got interviewed Weds., but took it at 1am on Friday, and you take the job and call everyone, but it's 1:30am. I hit the ground running. One of those 1st calls was to Tanner Morgan. If you're going to take a QB, take someone you know a lot about. He's a leader, a champion, he is pure culture through and through. He's from Kentucky, his Dad also coached him, his team finished 12-1. #1 QB in the midwest. He is an incredible decisive decision maker, he's a gym rat, a leader, and makes everyone else around him better.
• D-Line was a need. We don't have a redshirt freshman, fresh, soph, and there's 1 jr at D-tackle. For 18, we're going to take 6 lineman. 1st of all you have to play with 2, and you need back-ups. Hardest position to find, let alone, in 2.5 weeks. We don't have any tackles. You play with 2 - so you need 5.
• Noah Hilcox - He's full of passion. Scout had him as 7th D-end in the state. 3.6 GPA. Dad passed away of cancer in September. The word that comes to mind when you think of him is "response".
• I haven't talked about stars yet. I was a minus 2 star, and found a way to play in the NFL.
• Big O - from Ben Davis HS, Ezezi Otomewo - #1 D-end in Indiana. Just wait until he's 275lbs, high ceiling, only played FB for 3 years. You will not miss him. When you see him, it doesn't look like he's eaten in 3 years.
• Boye Mafe - from Hopkins. 78 tackles, the key to an elite D, is Elite pass rushers. He was an all star team. This one was a slug fest until the end, looks easy on the screen. He high jumps 6'5". #1 D End in Mn.
• Malcolm Robinson - instant connection of energy and passion, he was always captain, so glad to have him.
• Sleeper of the class - you talk about starts, I'm not a big star guy, Austin Schirck, 273 lbs, and arms that go down and touch his ankles. All state 1st team, he's special, that's all I have to say. He went to 2 camps, he didn't get invited to any other camp, I don't know how he got out of that state. From what I've seen and heard…this kid is a very very special young man. He couldn't wait to play in the Big 10. He's going to be living a dream. He committed to Northern Iowa…I don't know how they got out of there. 20th player in Iowa, 3.8 GPA. He's one of those "buy low" things. Buy the stock!
• Royal Silver - Run stopper, he's a pass rusher at the same time. We need D tackles. You're not going to see me recruiting 20 JUCOs in one class, if you have 1 in the program, you need someone with experience. I am a high school recruiter and develop them from the ground up, from the moment they come, to the moment they leave, and 40 years after.
• Who knows how many D-Backs we'll have? We had to hit needs. We got 3 D-Backs and I don't think we missed on any of them. There's 4 that play. We had to recruit a lot of defensive backs. There's issues we have to fix. Everyone has issues. I'm not saying it's going to be fixed this year. You're only allowed to take 25 players a year.
• Adam Beck - You can tell why their state champions. All district honors. Won the Texas State championship. He was the #7 safety in the state of Texas.
• Justus Harris: 1st team region honors, he has a 43 inch vertical at 5'10" so he plays 6'3". Explosive play maker, Mighty Mouse with buttery hips.
• Ken Handy-Holly: 72 tackles, 32 solos, and went to the state semi finals. #1 safety in the state of Alabama, happy we didn't have to worry about him. His nickname is Candy Handy - we've got a campaign ready to hand out candy when he makes hits. Blessed to have him in our culture. How did you pull the #1 safety out of Alabama? Showed him what the depth chart looked like.
• Linebackers - we love where we're at linebacker. Talk about pure leadership already, I thought the staff before me did a tremendous job. I love our linebackers!
• Trenton Guthrie - He already put 10 lbs on him. He's a "how-fer" he brings culture to the U of MN. We're not changing all these things, we're connecting people.

One of my favorite players - Grant Ryerse - 4 year starter at kicker and punter. #4 kicker in the country, 4.31 GPA. He's an elite smart kicker. We have the best kicker in the entire country, he's coming right here. (technically the 4th). What is our program about serving and giving, that's what he's about. You can't have enough kickers.

I want to suit up after reading that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And questions from the fans:

Going to hand out pink oars for breast cancer survivors, puzzle piece ones for autism, etc. Invest in something that's way bigger than you. That's why GameDay came to a little city in Kalamazoo. How cool would it be to bring gameday here? You know what gameday likes? Stories. I don't know what the end is, we're starting it.
I don't work here - I don't deserve the $, but I'll never give it back and will never apologize. If your dreams don't create pressure and a ton of risk, they're not big enough.

HYPRR culture - it's a way of life. How, Yours (your vision that scares people), Process (it's fun until the work starts), Result (what society focuses on), Response (that's what makes people different in the world).

Philosophy - At WMU, in year 2, we had the ability to schedule OSU and MSU - We also had a chance to schedule Georgia Southern, the reason why we schedule the 3 is because they were all champs. If you want to learn how to do that, you have to schedule them. You have to fail to grow. It's different when you're a champion, all of those scars led to our success. We are the greatest conference in the country.

Walk-on's - We have assigned some for this year, but I'm not allowed to legally talk about them, need legal docs 1st. I was one day away from being a walk-on, and some guy didn't get into school, so I got his scholarship. You cannot tell the difference between walk-on and scholarship, they are the lifeline and bloodline to a culture. Everyone has an opportunity to start. If you're just playing 12 guys, and mixing starters on special teams, where's the other 70 players? What's their value. We like to give scholarships away in very creative ways (check youtube) - send us ideas too!

Pig and the Axe? Here's what I'll say about that, it's proof that you have to have things to pull from. The only thing I was taught, was beat your rival at WMU, we beat them by 39 points. We understand rivalries and the importance of trophies. We're going to involve you a lot when those get back. That's an elite question.

On Lou Holtz, would you promise us, when you get a great dynasty that you won't leave? Does that mean I already got an extension. I will say this, you are all letting me create and live my dream every single day, I will not let you down.

Is this a building year? I'll be honest with you. I'm going to do what I have to do for the long term. I'm not going to say we're not going to win, no one loves to win more than me. Every time we play horse, I play to win, ask my wife. We're reloading, with our culture, scheme, recruits. We have holes we need to fix. It doesn't just happen.
Recruiting - what we do, these guys are elite relationship builders. E ach coach has 2-3 states, then they recruit specific positions, then you have the national board with the top 20 players. Constantly continue to evolve> W e'll be there from 6am - Midnight coming up, watching 2018 recruits in one week. We'll start funneling it. Then you go to Junior days. Who NEEDS the gophers, not who wants them? Don't want to convince anyone to come here.

Here's the beginning of the notes. I'll add, he just did his intro.

Also, if you want to watch it live -> https://www.facebook.com/GopherHole..._t=live_video_explicit¬if_id=1485994582425420

• People are going to make fun of me on Twitter. I have a pretty thick skin, if you're going to say "Elite" and "Row the Boat" you have to.
I know I'm different, people don't need to tell me I'm different. I'm not for everybody. I told Mark I will not leave my team before the Bowl game, and a lot of teams lost interest. I believe the U of MN is a sleeping giant.
• I couldn’t wait to get here. Change and transition is hard. You did not pick me, you didn't have a choice in the matter, but I picked you…every challenge, every success, everything. It's going to take some times. I'm not here to change your tradition, your tradition is why I came here.
• When I heard Ski-U-Mah had a boat, a paddle, water and a star, I was sold!
• If the football team wins, we all win. Academics, everything. I was a teacher, 6th grade social studies. Our players are sitting up front, 1st two rows, wearing a collared shirt. I know your profession, I know what you go through, I'm here to make sure that our athletes understand what you go through, this is your Super Bowl.
• You've got to be Elite in your life, Athletic, Academic, Spiritual and Social .
• We hit 7 cities in one day because of resources you are providing me…we got 3 committed. The resources that we have at the U are Elite and they're going to get better.
• I'm not here to compare us to anybody, we're us. We're not going to say "we want to be like that person". I was not very popular after going 1-11 at the Coaches' convention, they didn't want me to talk, that's probably why I talk so much now.
• People tell Fleck "I'm giving you one year, Coach." I may be the wealthiest unemployed man in America after one year (laughing).

I find this line very interesting. I had a suspicion that this is what was going on but I wasn't sure until now. interesting :cool02:

Recruiting - what we do, these guys are elite relationship builders. E ach coach has 2-3 states, then they recruit specific positions, then you have the national board with the top 20 players.

This was something that caught my attention during the press conference.

Thank you, Nadine, for your excellent notes! I watched some of the pressers; it would be nice to know shorthand.

Go Gophers!!

That was fun. I'll say one thing - PJF sure can get you excited. I really enjoyed listening to him. I think that dude has it figured out.

Thank you, Nadine, for your excellent notes! I watched some of the pressers; it would be nice to know shorthand.

Go Gophers!!

Ha - I think you do a killer job at it - Radio is much more difficult to transcribe too for the Sports Huddle. Sid did hit him up to be on this week - so you may be in luck! :)

Nothing to say about McLaurin?

I did not catch what he said, I'm sorry. I'm sure you can look back at the video from the press conference, or the one on GH's Facebook.

Nothing to say about McLaurin?

LOL. 90% of what he said in McLaurin's slot was about how they don't want to recruit JuCOs unless absolutely needed (DL). I felt kinda bad for Neil.

He said a little about him noticeably less than the other recruits though.

He wasn't his guy and he also isn't his type of player being that he is a JUCO transfer.

My take after tonight's event is that I wouldn't be surprised if Tanner Morgan isn't the starter by the 4th game this year.

He wasn't his guy and he also isn't his type of player being that he is a JUCO transfer.

My take after tonight's event is that I wouldn't be surprised if Tanner Morgan isn't the starter by the 4th game this year.

So you would be surprised if he was?

LOL. 90% of what he said in McLaurin's slot was about how they don't want to recruit JuCOs unless absolutely needed (DL). I felt kinda bad for Neil.

If he's not going to see the field at QB, please try him at WR.

If he's not going to see the field at QB, please try him at WR.

Or OL for the spring game.

7 states in one day?

How is that possible?:confused:

We need a Coach Fleck Facts list. I'll start.

Coach Fleck once recruited 7 states in a single day.
Coach Fleck does not sleep, he merely recruits other time zones.
There is no evolution, merely a list of animals Coach Fleck has deemed elite enough to live.

Really great tonight.

Might have missed it already reported but he said straight up that freshmen...true freshmen...will play. I don't think he said they'd start...but they'd play...and would not be afraid to start them either if circumstances called for it.

Also, on the Pig and Axe question...I think that was the only one where he tripped up. All he needed to say was "we're taking back the damn Axe" and the house would have come down.

If that's the best flaw I can come up with...other than wearing Mrs. Billd down...we're in for an interesting ride.

And oh...BTW...it went till 8:00. I do believe this is the longest.

And also BTW...I think JG really likes covering this guy. Coach has a lot of lines...they all do but he has more than most...but I think being the sideline guy and KFAN liaison is going to be something he enjoys.

Time will tell.

Coach Flex is good for some rapturous takes on whatever he's talking about and I'm ok with that but he had me do a double-take with this one:

• Mohammed Ibrahim - ties in the DC area for a long time, watch this kid's highlight tape, he's explosive. He's a mix of Barry Sanders and Christian Okoye. One of the more impressive running backs I've watched. His Dad is an Elite soccer player. Top 35 running back.

Okoye was a 6+ foot 250-260 pound thundering nightmare/freak of nature (with glass knees). Ibrahim while a fine back is 5' 10 185.

That's why I had mentioned a while ago that I doubted McLaurin would have signed here had he not already been enrolled when Fleck arrived.

He said McLaurin had a great opportunity here or something like that. I thought it was noticeably not positive compared to every other recruit he talked about.

Yeah, I just finished watching. It's pretty obvious Tanner Morgan is his guy, but he'll still have to earn the spot. As far as I can tell, Tanner will do everything that's asked of him to get to where he needs to be, and then some.

After watching his afternoon presser, and then watching this Sota Social, I just don't think people realize how good this guy is, and how unique he is. I still can't believe the Gophers got him. I think any Gopher football fan is in for one hell of a ride. We're scared to imagine, and I don't even think we can imagine what this program is going to turn into. I think the whole state is in for a surprise. The number of Gopher football fans in Minnesota may grow 10 fold. This program may just capture the state. I hope people embrace it, support it, and thoroughly enjoy it. RTB and Ski U Mah!

If I understood him right, he said that with the lack of OL, two of the three signees will have to play as true freshmen.

I am hoping for the best, but I do not see how it is some "shocker" that we "got" him. PJ Fleck was considered a home run hire all year, and I think the 13-0 Cotton Bowl run sort of disrupted the hiring process for Fleck. Also I think that Oregon was an assumed landing spot for Fleck and regardless of what both sides said, I think that was the plan. It did not work and he already blew off Purdue, so that was finished.

He may have been all in for the Oregon job and huge payout and that did not happen. Now it does not matter, he is here and maybe the potential ceiling is higher than under TC. TC probably would have gotten it done here, though.

I do believe that PJ Fleck considers Minnesota a better HC job than Purdue, and a few others so this is now his so called dream job. I also think he'd like to be in Texas or at LSU, but so what. If Fleck does well they better back up the Brinks truck, and make sure he stays, and maybe he will.

I am glad he is our coach now, and he may be great, sorry, elite here.

Please don't start true freshman QBs. I'd like to not start true freshman OL as well, if possible.

Please don't start true freshman QBs. I'd like to not start true freshman OL as well, if possible.

I agree. After hearing coach if it were to happen it will be this year.

Top Bottom