Kaler: In order for us to be proud of athletics, bball & fball need to be premier

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

After a presentation on the school’s funding, graduation rates and overall ranking in the Big Ten, senators asked school leaders about how the athletics department could to change its culture.

Kaler said Minnesota had more Big Ten titles last year than Wisconsin and Iowa combined, but the wins went unnoticed because revenue sports such as football and men’s basketball didn’t echo the trend.

“In order for us to be proud of Gophers athletics, football and men’s basketball need to be premier programs,” Kaler said. “Football and men’s basketball drive the boat in terms of revenue.”

Kaler said hiring Athletics Director Mark Coyle and investing in the Athletes Village project were two ways the University has tried to improve the programs.

He said to raise the quality of the University’s athletics department, it had to start with investing money in people.

P.J. Fleck, the Gophers new head football coach, was recently given an five-year, $18 million contract — the costliest in University history — after previous coach Tracy Claeys was fired amid fallout from a sexual assault scandal.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017/02/mn-senators-question-kaler-on-athletics-med-school-rankings

Go Gophers!!

I saw a Tweet this week that said Pitino was 7-29 in his last 36 Big Ten games, and I couldn't believe that was true...but it is. Now granted that's quite an arbitrary stopping point by the Tweeter because there was a 3 game winning streak just prior to this 7-29 streak. Overall he's at 19-44 (!) for a .302 winning percentage through 3.5 years. For reference, Todd Lickliter was 15-39 for a .278 winning percentage at Iowa before getting fired after 3 years. So we're quickly approaching the Lickliter line and we certainly have more talent than those Iowa teams ever did.

I still would keep Pitino if the season ended today, but if Kaler is talking about being "premier" (which I feel this program should strive to be) I hope he realizes the program has been the polar opposite during his tenure to date.

Haskin's 87 and 88 teams went 6-30 in conf winning just ONE SINGLE road game those 2 seasons.

And though they did better in 89, mostly due to winning all of their home games, they still only won 1 road game.

That's TWO ROAD WINS in THREE YEARS.

And at the tail end of those three years, from Feb 18th until MARCH 2nd, the team lost FOUR GAMES IN A ROW, including a 38 point blow out, a 15 pt loss and a 13 pt loss, the closest margin was 5 pts.

And don't give the excuse that they were road games or that 3 of the 4 opponents were ranked, because few of the critics of Pitino seem to want to acknowledge those kinds of excuses when they lose to a ranked Wisconsin team or a ranked Maryland team or the road losses to PSU and OSU.

Maybe we should have fired Haskins after the 88 season or after that 4 game losing streak in 89? But he somehow figured out how to recover and get them into the tourney and also got the team to the Sweet 16 so they let him have one more season and it ended up being one of the greatest seasons in Minnesota Gopher bb history.

Haskin's 87 and 88 teams went 6-30 in conf winning just ONE SINGLE road game those 2 seasons.

And though they did better in 89, mostly due to winning all of their home games, they still only won 1 road game.

And at the tail end of those three years, from Feb 18th until MARCH 2nd, the team lost FOUR GAMES IN A ROW, including a 38 point blow out, a 15 pt loss and a 13 pt loss, the closest margin was 5 pts.

And don't give the excuse that they were road games or that 3 of the 4 opponents were ranked, because few of the critics of Pitino seem to want to acknowledge those kinds of excuses when they lose to a ranked Wisconsin team or a ranked Maryland team or the road losses to PSU and OSU.

Maybe we should have fired Haskins after the 88 season or after that 4 game losing streak in 89? But he somehow figured out how to recover and get them into the tourneyand also got the team to the Sweet 16 so they let him have one more season and it ended up being one of the greatest seasons in Minnesota Gopher bb history.

It's what's known as "creative academics"; a strategy also successfully employed by Roy Williams.

Best thing I've ever heard come out of his mouth.

With all due respect to volleyball, women's hockey, men's hockey, softball, baseball, etc., if this athletic program wants to get big $$$$$ donations rollin' in (and thus help all the programs compete better), football #1 and men's basketball #2 must carry the freight. That's where the money train starts if they start winning big.

#WindowToTheUniversity

It's what's known as "creative academics"; a strategy also successfully employed by Roy Williams.

WTF are you talking about???

And what the hell would academics have to do with recovering from a 4 game losing streak and winning enough basketball games to get into the tourney???

With all due respect to volleyball, women's hockey, men's hockey, softball, baseball, etc., if this athletic program wants to get big $$$$$ donations rollin' in (and thus help all the programs compete better), football #1 and men's basketball #2 must carry the freight. That's where the money train starts if they start winning big.

I agree with you SS, but just one question, wouldn't it be more accurate to include Men's Hockey as #3 behind cfb and men's bb, instead of among the list of non-revenue sports??

I was always under the impression that Men's hockey was a revenue generating sport here at Minnesota, granted not to the degree Men's BB or football are or could be, but it still makes more money than it costs, whereas those others you listed do not, right? I acknowledge that I could be wrong on this one, but I hope I'm not. And apologize for nit picking, but just feel its best to be accurate about things like this.

I agree with you SS, but just one question, wouldn't it be more accurate to include Men's Hockey as #3 behind cfb and men's bb, instead of among the list of non-revenue sports??

I was always under the impression that Men's hockey was a revenue generating sport here at Minnesota, granted not to the degree Men's BB or football are or could be, but it still makes more money than it costs, whereas those others you listed do not, right? I acknowledge that I could be wrong on this one, but I hope I'm not. And apologize for nit picking, but just feel its best to be accurate about things like this.

Good point. Tack on the men's pucksters as #3. In this state if they're not a money-maker they should be.

WTF are you talking about???

And what the hell would academics have to do with recovering from a 4 game losing streak and winning enough basketball games to get into the tourney???

I think he's talking about the vast academic scandal that caused the Gophers to forfeit one of the greatest seasons in gopher basketball history, but I could be wrong.

I think he's talking about the vast academic scandal that caused the Gophers to forfeit one of the greatest seasons in gopher basketball history, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I am well aware of the academic scandal that caused the Gophers to forfeit one of the greatest seasons in Gopher bb history, the 1997 season.

Thing is, I was talking about the 1987-90 seasons, seasons that count, seasons that were never forfeited, hence the WTF is he talking about remark.

#WindowToTheUniversity

Amen. It's nice to know that Kaler is at least aware of this.

Maybe we should have fired Haskins after the 88 season or after that 4 game losing streak in 89? But he somehow figured out how to recover and get them into the tourney and also got the team to the Sweet 16 so they let him have one more season and it ended up being one of the greatest seasons in Minnesota Gopher bb history.

Haskins came into a situation that was totally different than Pitino. I'm not saying that Pitino should be fired....I actually think he will make it now....but to compare Pitino's and Haskin's first few years isn't really a fair comparison because of the situation Haskins came into. Also, in the late 80's, the B1G was really good and only a 10 team league. Nebraska, Penn State and Rutgers weren't in the league at that time, and Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Ohio State were all very strong teams. Granted Wisconsin and Northwestern weren't strong teams, but the rest of the conference was really good.

There's no way Kaler said this. I have it on good authority that Kaler hates sports and hates men and hates fun and hates Star Wars.

Haskins came into a situation that was totally different than Pitino. I'm not saying that Pitino should be fired....I actually think he will make it now....but to compare Pitino's and Haskin's first few years isn't really a fair comparison because of the situation Haskins came into. Also, in the late 80's, the B1G was really good and only a 10 team league. Nebraska, Penn State and Rutgers weren't in the league at that time, and Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Ohio State were all very strong teams. Granted Wisconsin and Northwestern weren't strong teams, but the rest of the conference was really good.

Yes, Haskins did come into a different situation, his cupboards were more bare than Pitino's. But that enabled him to more quickly get his players into the program and probably bought him more time before he was expected to start winning, hence less pressure.

Pitino on the other hand had to try to do something with a mix of players he inherited and players he had to bring in at the last minute, just to try to have a semblance of a winning team. He made an effort to hit the ground running, sort of speak, by bringing in some transfers and jc players instead of loading up with freshman that we'd be stuck with for 4-5 years. It bought him some time to get a full recruiting class or two in before those older players left the program, in hopes that those recruits would turn out better than most thought they would. It was a gamble that, as far as wins and losses go, did not pan out, BUT, if you look at it from a recruiting standpoint, by not starting out like Haskins did, losing right away with a ton of frosh and sophomores, its very possible that helped him with his recruiting as every single class looked better than the class before, and in the long run, its probably going to pay off incredibly well.

Thing is, if you look at Haskins approach, there was a big drop after his initial group of recruits left, and he had to rebuild. Granted recruiting slowly got better as the 96, 97, 98 & 99 squads had much better talent than the 91, 92, 93 & 94 teams had, but we DID have to rebuild and suffer through those 5-6 years from 91-95 or 96 before we finally had another great season, the 97 season, but again in 98, we had to rebuild again, granted it didn't take as long as 99 was looking like it had the possibility to make a run in the tourney, but we all know how that ended up.

What I am seeing from Pitino is a balance in the classes. We are only going to lose one significant contributing player after this year, but will bring in a good recruiting class, then each year we'll be graduating a little better class than the year before and bringing in our best recruiting class yet to replace them, or at least that is the pattern so far. So instead of rebuilding, at the current pace, we are just going to get better and better and better as each year goes by, and not only because of increased talent, but because of our young coach learning more and more and becoming a better and better coach as every year goes by. Now there is always the possibility that he pulls in a bad recruiting class or some scandal loses us some players and throws things off, but there is always the JC ranks to help with that, but hopefully he never needs to go that route every again.

So maybe Haskins came into a different situation, but the situation Pitino came into could have been far more difficult and risky. Remember, we fired a coach that had just recently gotten us into the NCAA tourney, and now we just fired a fb coach that got us to a 9-4 record. What Pitino did was a risky way of going about things, and I'm sure he never dreamed last season would be so bad, but it would have been a horrible move to have fired Pitino after last year and it would be an even worse move to fire him after this season, no matter how the season finishes out, with the exception of finding out something horrible about Pitino, that is, like that he's following in Haskins cheating ways, for example.

Right now I think that if colleges were stocks, I'd sell everything I own and buy stock in Minnesota. We hired the youngest major conf bb coach and he's really starting to bring in great recruiting classes, so the future looks very bright and with his age and the momentum and other factors like the new facilities, it could just keep getting brighter and brighter, and now we've hired the youngest major conf fb coach, and he's a proven winner and he's got energy and charisma and a vision and I believe we are finally going to move up into the upper echelon of cfb programs, too. And now look at how the Men's Hockey team is doing. Lots of youngsters driving this team, and other B1G teams helping their PWR rankings instead of dragging them down. Not sure how the season will finish out or how the future will go for the hockey team, but we do have a Natl Title winning coach and the best facilities and good recruiting, so the future should be bright for the hockey team, too.

And all of that is going on while the Dance teams continues to win Natl Titles, the Women's Hockey team continues to produce championship caliber teams, and the VB team still continues to roll, and the Softball team is becoming a staple at the top of the Conf, and the Soccer team just won a Big Conf Title, and the CC teams and the S&D teams and the Gymnastic teams consistently finish between #5 and #32 in the rankings or in NCAA tournaments almost every single year. The Wrestling team is at least still in the Top 10 and the track teams are still producing great individual athletes and the Baseball team is also continuing to thrive.

What haven't I mentioned? The Men's Tennis team is undefeated so far, and the Golf programs just received a one million dollar gift, so we could see them improve in the future?

Oh, I didn't mention the women's bb team. They are struggling this season, but 5 of the top 6 scorers are coming back next season, and 7 of the Top 9, so it's possible they could improve come next season, and if recruiting goes well, the 2020 season could be a banner season.

Getting back to the comparison between Pitino and Haskins, Haskins got the team to the Sweet 16 or beyond in year 3, 4 and year ELEVEN.

Pitino may need more time to get to the Sweet 16 the first time, but I'd bet a large amount of money that he'll have gotten us there more than 3 times in his first 11 seasons, and if you include Haskins last 2 seasons, then it would be 3 times in 13 years. I could see Pitino getting the Gophers to the Sweet 16 in years #5 and #6, and then possibly almost every year after that, IF recruiting continues on the same pattern as its been on or at least does not get worse.

I heard Hockey was about a $1M a year surplus before the B1G started hockey, it's probably dropped off some since then & the travel expenses are up and season tickets are down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom