PJ Fleck on ESPN2 - Called Gophers a "Sleeping Giant" and talked power of the state

GopherLady

Reaction score
PJ Fleck on ESPN2 - Called Gophers a "Sleeping Giant" and talked power of the state

Here are my notes, not verbatim:

ESPN2 on Fleck, " It's a great fit, his energy doesn't work everywhere probably, but I think his energy will be awesome at MN."

• How are you? I'm doing Elite guys, thank you
• It's an elite opportunity to be a Big 10 football coach at the U of MN, we haven't won a B1G championship since 1967, and that's why the job was so attractive to me. Similar to Western Michigan. We got the 2.5 weeks after the coaches convention to get out recruiting. When you look it as backs against the wall, some would - we looked at it as opportunity. We hired some elite coaches that have done a tremendous job, and finished off the class really well with the circumstance we were under.
• How were you able to deal with this with such a short window of time? The kids that were committed from the state, to the State of MN, that just shows the power we have in our state. They stayed home, we had 5 there. From there, we went to get helpers, our kind of guys, we had a lot come from Western Michigan, they came sight unseen, which I think proves the culture of the power and people, and they knew exactly what they were getting with our coaching staff when they came here. I think they wanted to become the best they could be, athletically, academically, spiritually, and socially, and especially with our $200M facility being built, they can be all of those things. We had our challenges coming into this, but I think our coaching staff did a tremendous job, a lot of sleepless nights coming up with this Elite class, finishing this thing.
• A month into the job, what do you know about that job that you needed to find out about? I think it's a sleeping giant. We have a city that's 3.5 million people, we literally live right across the river from our city, 55K students here, one of the top academic institutions in the entire country. If you want to walk to a MN Twins game, walk to the MN Twins game in the summer. If you want to go to a Wild, or Timberwolves, or Vikings game, you can get there. There's so much to do in the Twin City area that I was shocked when I got here that there was one championship a half a century ago. As we continue to grow this Gopher brand nationally, that's what we look forward to, bringing national attention, national brand to the U of MN, which is truly deserves.
• Keep rowing the boat, Ski-U-Mah!

Say what you will, but the man can sell. Will bring the team a lot more publicity

We have a city that's 3.5 million people, we literally live right across the river from our city, 55K students here, one of the top academic institutions in the entire country.

I like the way he talks about the city and the area and I think the Twin Cities will be a big selling point in recruiting. Great that he's identified that. However, the way he talks about it is geographically odd. I've seen several tweets or promo materials that said things like "near the Twin Cities" or "a couple miles from the city", and the quote above. I guess he means downtown Minneapolis when he says "the city" or "Twin Cities"? Campus is very much in the middle of the city at large. The language he uses kinda makes the U sound like it's out in the suburbs, which we all know it ain't.

Sigh..........I'm still getting adjusted to Fleck. Maybe it's just me, but it still seems so over-the-top. if he would just dial it back by about 10- to 15%, it would be a lot easier for me to swallow. The constant "elite" references come off like a bit. hey, I understand this could all be genuine - this may really be who he is. I just wish he would tone it down.

I want to like the Gopher FB coach - whoever it is - and I admit it's strictly a personal thing - but I'm not there yet.

Grow a Gopher national brand - good speak.

The kind of talk old geezers want to hear.

That guys talks at 300 cph (Cliches Per Hour). I just hope when it is all said and done that we just don't have a thinner more annoying version of Kill/Claeys who can win 6-9 games most years, play in bowl games and recruit in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten. Time will tell and I hope for the best, but changing coaches doesn't change our lack of in state talent year in and out and our weather.

Well your weather, I live in Florida now.

Sigh..........I'm still getting adjusted to Fleck. Maybe it's just me, but it still seems so over-the-top. if he would just dial it back by about 10- to 15%, it would be a lot easier for me to swallow. The constant "elite" references come off like a bit. hey, I understand this could all be genuine - this may really be who he is. I just wish he would tone it down.

I want to like the Gopher FB coach - whoever it is - and I admit it's strictly a personal thing - but I'm not there yet.

Stop being so Minnesotan ;)

Did anyone else notice that on ESPN 2 they listed BBC as a departing player?? He is in the NFL... Classic ESPN disrespecting Minnesota.

Class of '17

It's not just you...it is more showman-like carnival barker-ish now, but if he takes the program to consistent 9+ win seasons, I could care less.

I hear ya, man. I've taken a few shots at you and your negativity. But you're right. Yours is a perfectly valid opinion to have. I have the same cringe factor when I hear him say Elite 10 times in one interview.

But I'm all in. Life's too short.

Did anyone else notice that on ESPN 2 they listed BBC as a departing player?? He is in the NFL... Classic ESPN disrespecting Minnesota.

That's how Elite we are now. Current players in the NFL.

I hear ya, man. I've taken a few shots at you and your negativity. But you're right. Yours is a perfectly valid opinion to have. I have the same cringe factor when I hear him say Elite 10 times in one interview.

But I'm all in. Life's too short.

Yeah, I'm going to try and never use the "e" word. Really, really hoping it's not b.s. and he truly does love living in the Twin Cities. It IS a huge selling point and I think if a coach sincerely enjoys it here, it's a major asset on recruiting.

Think we are burying the lead here. On National Signing day our head coach is being interviewed on ESPN2. Maybe just totally missed it but I don't think that has been common with other coaches around here.

Fleck gets it in a way that Kill, Claeys, Brewster and Mason didn't in terms of working the media (social and broadcast).

Time will tell if he works out here but look at the amount of positive attention our program has gotten Nationally since Fleck was hired. That kind of stuff has the potential to pay dividends down the line with recruits as they hear about what Fleck is doing up here.

It might be easier if Fleck said, aw gosh, we'll be lucky to win half our games, and shoot, recruiting is a dang hard thing to do especially in a state like this frigid freezer is unless it's summer then dang those mosquitoes will carry you off, dang. Tame enough for you?

It might be easier if Fleck said, aw gosh, we'll be lucky to win half our games, and shoot, recruiting is a dang hard thing to do especially in a state like this frigid freezer is unless it's summer then dang those mosquitoes will carry you off, dang. Tame enough for you?

Great point! And plenty of people will wheel that out if they win 5-6 games next year...

Sadly in Minnesota there are a lot of people that are far more comfortable with a coach that talks that way then one that wants to aim higher.

Think we are burying the lead here. On National Signing day our head coach is being interviewed on ESPN2. Maybe just totally missed it but I don't think that has been common with other coaches around here.

Fleck gets it in a way that Kill, Claeys, Brewster and Mason didn't in terms of working the media (social and broadcast).

Time will tell if he works out here but look at the amount of positive attention our program has gotten Nationally since Fleck was hired. That kind of stuff has the potential to pay dividends down the line with recruits as they hear about what Fleck is doing up here.

When SportsCenter was showing highlights of the T-wolves game, they mentioned that Fleck was their and they mentioned Row the Boat. Certainly wouldn't have happened with any of our previous coaches.

Grow a Gopher national brand - good speak.

The kind of talk old geezers want to hear.

Wrong, Im an old geezer and I want to hear that we are putting everything into beating two teams to start: Wisconsin and Iowa. We do that and we will beat others and win the west. The brand will grow and people will buy tickets. Heard the elite crap and the row the boat stuff which is the kind of talk the naive young people want to hear. As his one time boss has said, "I hear what you say but trust what you do". Ill give him a chance to prove his abilities.

Based purely on attitude I'd still take PJ over Harbaugh any day of the week. PJ is a positive energy who you can tell is genuine. "Jimmy-show off" is all ego and this pseudo tough guy attitude that you can tell is a facade. Id rather have Morgan Freeman talk me through having my prostate milked than listen to another Harbaugh presser..Me no Likey Harbaugh

Wrong, Im an old geezer and I want to hear that we are putting everything into beating two teams to start: Wisconsin and Iowa. We do that and we will beat others and win the west. The brand will grow and people will buy tickets. Heard the elite crap and the row the boat stuff which is the kind of talk the naive young people want to hear. As his one time boss has said, "I hear what you say but trust what you do". Ill give him a chance to prove his abilities.

It is a given that in growing the brand, the seeds are planted in Wisconsin's & Iowa's arses.

We can say all we want about Fleck's jingoism, but he speaks to the young crowd and to the money men. If we want the fan base to grow to replace old farts who are dying out, you couldn't have asked for a better guy.

We'll treat him like any other coaches that got cycled through here. Now that you are done talking the talk, it is time to walk the walk.

Timing is everything. Mark Coyle knew he wanted his guy. It is the way that he went about it that rubs me the wrong way. It is time to move on.

Wrong, Im an old geezer and I want to hear that we are putting everything into beating two teams to start: Wisconsin and Iowa. We do that and we will beat others and win the west. The brand will grow and people will buy tickets. Heard the elite crap and the row the boat stuff which is the kind of talk the naive young people want to hear.
So because he's growing the national brand now it means he can't grow it even more once we win the West?

Why is positive publicity for the University of Minnesota so off-putting for so many Gophers fans?

Based purely on attitude I'd still take PJ over Harbaugh any day of the week. PJ is a positive energy who you can tell is genuine. "Jimmy-show off" is all ego and this pseudo tough guy attitude that you can tell is a facade. Id rather have Morgan Freeman talk me through having my prostate milked than listen to another Harbaugh presser..Me no Likey Harbaugh

Now THAT is an exceedingly ELITE QUOTE.....Unfortunately I am FEELING what you said. Outstanding!

I like the way he talks about the city and the area and I think the Twin Cities will be a big selling point in recruiting. Great that he's identified that. However, the way he talks about it is geographically odd. I've seen several tweets or promo materials that said things like "near the Twin Cities" or "a couple miles from the city", and the quote above. I guess he means downtown Minneapolis when he says "the city" or "Twin Cities"? Campus is very much in the middle of the city at large. The language he uses kinda makes the U sound like it's out in the suburbs, which we all know it ain't.

Agreed, he really needs to get that straightened out. "Just miles from the Twin Cities" etc. Dude, the Twin Cities refers to the entire metro area. Not only that, but the U is located in Minneapolis.

I prefer him just be himself. Players/parents are smart enough to see if it is authentic or not and it appears they believe him. As someone else mentioned, how often is our coach interviewed on ESPN2 on signing day?

Agreed, he really needs to get that straightened out. "Just miles from the Twin Cities" etc. Dude, the Twin Cities refers to the entire metro area. Not only that, but the U is located in Minneapolis.

He's been here three weeks, and spent much of the time out of town recruiting. I'm sure he'll learn the elite way you want him to refer to the Twin Cities.

That sounds like Mason to me! I will NEVER forget when Mason had just upset Ohio State and he was asked if he thought he had a chance at the Rose Bowl. His response..."Rose Bowl? What? We are not going to talk about that, we are Minnesota" or something roughly along those lines. Man that rubbed me the wrong way! I couldn't get a guy that wouldn't want to take that momentum and pump up his team. Maybe he did behind the scenes but the way he always toyed about with mediocrity, the "Who do you think we are? I mean we are Minnesota.", and the yearly maybe go to another job thing just drove me nuts. When Brewster came and wanted Rose Bowl's and Big Ten Titles I was all in! About time a guy wanted to go for the top! Now in hindsight to a certain degree Mas was right. I just would have liked to see him aspire for more. I guess we will see what PJF can do, it's his ball now.

He's been here three weeks, and spent much of the time out of town recruiting. I'm sure he'll learn the elite way you want him to refer to the Twin Cities.

You are correct.

Side note: Classic Gopherhole, constant chatter how being in the Twin Cities makes it too hard to win because of the competition (Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild, etc) and then gets defensive because a quote comes out that makes it sound like we are not located in the Twin Cities.

Top Bottom