Looking back, when did you become a Gopher Football fan.

Early 50's, pheasant hunting with dad and older brothers, WCCO with Ray and Halsey.

My Uncle George took me to my first game in 1948. I always listened on the radio after that and loved Dick Enroth, Halsey Hall and later Bernie did color for the games in the 50's. Paul Giel was my first favorite Gopher. I was there when Southern Cal played in a snow game, and saw Bob McNamara return that kickoff for a TD against Iowa. I think it was at an Iowa game at Iowa City in 1958 and Kelvin Kleber punted a ball that was caught by the wind and went backwards. Of course I loved Bobby Cox, Bobby Bell, and Sandy Stephens. I loved Murray Warmath but could not believe the time he punted on 3rd down because he wanted to punt with the wind and the quarter was winding down. Tom Brown knocking the Iowa center back into their qb and knocking him down in the great national title game of 1960 was my favorite game. I was disappointed at that Rose Bowl game that we lost but what a thrill to be in Pasadena that year and of course the next year when we won. (I could never figure out why we never went to a bowl game in those years when we were National champs in the 30s.) Now there have been other heroes like Rick Upchurch, Karl Mecklenberg, etc. I have to admit the past few decades have been tough to swallow. I hope as my life winds down that PJ Fleck when bring back the past glory days one more time.

In the early seventies I have memories of raking leaves in the backyard with my dad and the Gophers on WCCO. I picture a clear crisp glorious Minnesota fall Saturday and Kent Kitzman battering one of the little 8. I also had the pleasure of being at Memorial when the Gophers upset #1 ranked Michigan 16-0. I was at the U during the Holtz and Gutekunst years and watching Ricky Foggy was great fun. He was electric.

Ricky and DT. Great college memories. Was at the 87 game when he broke the big run. Whole place went literally Ape-S**t

In the early seventies I have memories of raking leaves in the backyard with my dad and the Gophers on WCCO. I picture a clear crisp glorious Minnesota fall Saturday and Kent Kitzman battering one of the little 8. I also had the pleasure of being at Memorial when the Gophers upset #1 ranked Michigan 16-0. I was at the U during the Holtz and Gutekunst years and watching Ricky Foggy was great fun. He was electric.

My father in law coached both Kitzman and Darryl Thompson in high school (position coach).

The second I was accepted to the University of Minnesota!! Being from Wisconsin with my mom, brother and and most of my friends going to UW it was hard not to be a casual Badger fan but I'm grateful now that I have a school that I am a part of to root for!

Ski-U-Mah!!

Julius Perlt (sp)--"for Minnesota, at the tackles" What a memorable voice in Memorial Stadium.

Julius Perlt (sp)--"for Minnesota, at the tackles" What a memorable voice in Memorial Stadium.

Remember a game against Mich in 80...between FG, extra points and kick offs, Jules had to say Haji-Sheikh like a dozen times. It was classic.

The Barn too...didn't always turn off the mic in time. Led to some great off the cuff comments over the PA.

when I was about 9 years old , I used to go to my paps house every Saturday to watch football with him , my pap was a huge penn state fan ( he retired from psu ) I used to cheer for whoever was playing psu just to make it fun well this Saturday was different psu was playing the gophers for the first time and half time it was a close game and I was rubbing it in and he called my mom to come get me lol well the next day my mom and I went to kmart and wouldn't you know it they had a gopher shirt of all teams to find in a store this close to penn state ..................... well my mom got me the shirt and here I am today my pap passed away 2 years after that and this is one of my best memories of him

everytime psu plays Minnesota at home I go , and I buy an extra ticket for my pap

Top Bottom