Looking back, when did you become a Gopher Football fan.

nevisgopher

Reaction score
Going into NSD let's make this a happy Go Gophers thread and explain why we care so much about this program (obviously given the number of posts in the past 2 months). Looking back, what is your first memory of becoming a Gopher Football fan?

Mine happened in the early 60's when I was about 7 years old. My Dad and I road hunted pheasants on fall Saturday afternoons in southern Minnesota. The Gopher Football game was always on the car radio (Ray Christensen in those days). We stopped at small town cafes for an RC Cola and a burger, and if possible caught a bit of the game on television or radio. Good times and even though success has been hard to come by since then, I've been a loyal fan ever since.

My future brother-in-law played in the mid 70's when I was about 10 years old. I remember going to the games and then going on the field afterwards. I still can't believe how hard that Tartan Turf surface was.

Going into NSD let's make this a happy Go Gophers thread and explain why we care so much about this program (obviously given the number of posts in the past 2 months). Looking back, what is your first memory of becoming a Gopher Football fan?

Mine happened in the early 60's when I was about 7 years old. My Dad and I road hunted pheasants on fall Saturday afternoons in southern Minnesota. The Gopher Football game was always on the car radio (Ray Christensen in those days). We stopped at small town cafes for an RC Cola and a burger, and if possible caught a bit of the game on television or radio. Good times and even though success has been hard to come by since then, I've been a loyal fan ever since.

Great idea for a thread thank you.

For me it was growing up in Fargo-Moorhead watching games on tv with my dad. My dad is an all around Minnesota sports fan. The first Gopher head coach I can remember is Jim Wacker. If being positive and optimistic won football games, Jim Wacker never would have lost a game. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. :)

My future brother-in-law played in the mid 70's when I was about 10 years old. I remember going to the games and then going on the field afterwards. I still can't believe how hard that Tartan Turf surface was.

My Dad had season tickets and he would take my brother and I to the old Memorial Stadium. It was in the early 60's and I was in 1st-2nd grade.

My story starts in January of 1979. The day I was born my dad left the hospital to go to a gopher basketball game. In the fall they started to take me to football games. Ive been to most home games and have started to travel with friends to away games. I took my then 8 month old to the UNLV game in the desert and at 5 he is all about Gopher football.

Holy Cow! This takes me back to the early 1950's, when we lived out in the country. On fall Saturday afternoons, we would have the radio outdoors with max volume, so we could hear the game while doing chores. Halsey Hall for certain, and I believe Ray Christiansen were the voices on WCCO. Attended my first game at Memorial Stadium in 1955, losing to Washington. All good memories...

No announcer will ever top Ray Christensen as far as my memories are concerned.

I would probably say by my Junior year of college. For hoops, it's was my 1st bball game at The Barn, I was so amazed...but football took a little longer being from Wisconsin, but I've never turned back.

October 1973 - although they got whopped by Nebraska 54-7 in the old Memorial Stadium that day. I remember feeling befuddled in amazement looking at loads and loads of buses carrying a sea of Big Red fans.

Should have never started following the Gophers then. Now, I live for the misery and the bottle cure every game since.

D@mn! Hope springs eternal. We've got a new showman in town. He might just do it!

I was pretty young. It was the 70's and Tony Dungy was the QB. We parked by the Witch Tower and my dad smoked a cigar before the game...that's how cool he was.

As a kid in the late-1950s. Just knew the names and didn't understand football. Always loved reading the Minneapolis Sunday Tribune Sports Peach with the "play of the week" diagrammed with photos (hard to describe). Like a lot of guys my age, fandom grew more serious as I understood the game more. Been with them through good and bad ever since.

October 1973 - although they got whopped by Nebraska 54-7 in the old Memorial Stadium that day. I remember feeling befuddled in amazement looking at loads and loads of buses carrying a sea of Big Red fans.

Should have never started following the Gophers then. Now, I live for the misery and the bottle cure every game since.

D@mn! Hope springs eternal. We've got a new showman in town. He might just do it!

My first Gopher game in person was also against Nebby - in 1983. 84-13. Something about my love of the underdog got me hooked that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was baptized at the Dome circa 1988 with my dad... learning the Rouser at that first game and everything.

While it wasn't singularly a Gophers things (Vikings, Twins), walking into the Dome for the first time and seeing that behemoth of a structure as a ten-year-old was mightily impressive. I had no idea as a ten-year-old that it was such a dump.

Saw a handful of Gutekunst and Wacker games.

Undergrad during the early Mason years, including the hail Mary loss to NW.

Grad school during the tail-end of the Mason years, culminating with the Wisconsin blocked punt.

Got to go to the Citrus Bowl with my son and parents and see the loss.

Why am I still a fan???

Brainwashing of my 8-year old is complete. The cycle will continue.

It was 1961. I was a freshman was starter on the Frosh Soph team in high school and my dad took me to the Northwestern game. We took a tour of the campus, and took it the game at Dyche Stadium. It was a Minnesota win 10-3. My memory was how good the Minnesota defense played. I think both Eller and Bell made the difference.

2005, my senior year, in high school when one of my teammates got a scholarship to play at the U. I grew up in the area, but was a Nebraska fan most of my life because of my uncle. My family was never into football, and I didn't even know the Gophers had a big time college team until I was in high school. After I graduated from high school though I was able to go the the 2005 Purdue and Wisconsin games at the dome before I shipped off for boot camp. Living and working with a bunch of dudes from Ohio and Alabama I had got hooked on college football. I had been a diehard Gopher fan for every other sport (grandpa played hockey for the U in the 40's), and all that love transferred over to the football team. By the time I got out of the military I was hooked and worked security at the Bank for a couple days the first season just to get inside and watch games. Bought season tickets the next year, and haven't looked back!

My earliest Gopher memories are in the mid 70s. My dad and uncle listened to every Gopher football game on the radio and watched them on TV when they could. Saturday afternoons we would help my dad wash the car or cut wood while listening to the Gophers. I knew Wisconsin was a big deal because several times we went to my cousin's house to watch that game. My cousin had season tix and we got the tix for a game in the dome the first year.
I have been hooked ever since.

Moved to Minnesota from Atlanta in 1989 to attend U. Born in Athens and eventually a graduate of UGA...went to 3 Sugar Bowls and 6 or 7 minor bowls with Georgia in late 70s and into the 80s...of course missed the NC game in 1980...

Tried to embrace Wacker once here but something wasn't right. The Administration did not support athletics (and some of that still hasn't changed but that's a different story).

Noticed however that Mason was Georgia's coach for a week (the year before) when he was hired in 1997. If he was good enough for Georgia then something was changing with UM and have been a fan since. BTW, that first Mason team vs. Hawaii game was brutal. I've not looked it up but the Golden Warriors won like 40+ to 7 or something. I was drinking heavily so may be wrong on the spread.

So...this is my 20th anniversary season as a Gopher...and both Mrs. Billd and I love it.

Still waiting for Pasadena...or Indianapolis at least...and always looking for the UM-UGA match-up on New Years Day some year.

Bernie Bierman just got hired and my father was born. He listened to Gopher fb games on the radio in 1940 and 1941 and has been a diehard Gopher fan ever since. He went to college at Augsburg, just blocks from the Gopher campus, and went to games often, and when he began teaching and coaching high school football, he took his players to watch the Gopher's in 1960. I was born in 1967, so I've theorized that my father's birth brought in the Golden Era of Gopher fb and my birth brought in the end of it. lol I've had 2 girls so maybe I need to have a son before the Gophers can win another Natl or B1G conf title? But either way, I was born with Maroon and Gold blood flowing through my veins. I don't ever remember not being a Gopher fan? Heck, I think I have a vague memory of watching the 72 Gophers BB team? I watching the Vikings and Twins, sitting on the floor with my father on the couch, and remembered that all of mine and my father's favorite players were former Gophers. I suffered through 3 Super Bowl losses, don't remember the 1st one, and the Twins never won anything back then, either. And very few of my high school classmates were Gopher fans, but I never stopped loving them. My high school team made one trip to the high school basketball state final, I was very young at the time, but my father was a coach and so we stayed in the same hotel as the teams, and I remember, being 4 foot nothing, and getting into an elevator with Randy Breuer, a Sr in high school at the time and looking up at him like he was a giant. My high school team was the only one to ever have a lead at halftime against Breuers Lake City Lakers. Then there was the Herb Brooks led hockey team that led to the 1980 Miracle on Ice, and soon after that the Gopher BB Big Ten Title in 82. Now the simple fact is, that not much to brag about happened between 83 and 86 when I graduated HS. But I joined the Army, and found myself in a battalion with something like 40% Minnesotans, and so when sports came up, if one of us didn't know how to defend Minnesota sports, someone nearby did know how and got involved in the discussion. And as much as I was born with Maroon and Gold blood flowing in my veins, as much of a huge Gopher fan as my father was, to be honest, he never told me everything he knew about the Gopher's history, so I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but at the age of 19, I was a huge Gopher fan, yet I didn't know that they had ever won a Natl Title in football, or baseball, I only knew about a couple of Men's hockey titles. I also didn't know about the Mpls Lakers. But all of those fellow Minnesotans I was in the Army with slowly started to educate me about some of those things, and then the Twins won the World Series in 87, and then I found a book about Gopher football history, called the Gopher Sketchbook I think, and finally learned about the glorious history of Gopher football. That was about the same time that I was getting really into following Clem Haskins and his first group of recruits, they were starting to win games. I was stationed in Germany and found a stand that sold hats with team themes, and it was a very significant memory, because he said he had every pro and college team out there, yet he didn't have a Gopher hat, and I had to get him to special order one for me. And while I was doing this, I told him the Gophers were going to surprise some people that year, that was 1989, and I was right, they ended up making the sweet 16. I remember that vendors reaction to my initial request and then his responses after that, as he finally started hearing about the Gopher's, beating #1 Illinois I think was one of their big wins that season. Made me feel like I was the only true believer in this underdog team. The next year I was stationed in Louisiana and got to go to the Elite 8 matchup with Georgia Tech, and that journey, following the Haskins original recruiting class go from 2 conf wins in 87 to the Elite 8 in 1990 is probably what transformed me from just someone born to be a Gopher fan, into someone who truly wanted to be a Gopher fan out of choice. I've never once regretted that choice.

And if I had a little better luck, I would have gotten a chance to play for the Gophers. The U was the only school I ever wanted or would have played for. I would have walked on vs taking a scholarship anywhere else. But I wasn't a superstar, so I guess its easy to say that, lol. But I've always loved Minnesota and felt a connection to the state and would have felt an immense deal of pride had I been honored to have played for them. Granted my sport was golf, not football, but to me that didn't matter. I played a round with Tom Lehman once, and would have been proud to try to follow in his footsteps.

So I fell in love with the Gophers while thinking that they had never really won anything, and was blessed to find out after the fact, that they had won a ton, after I had made the choice to fully embrace the Gophers as my one and only team. I was raised up as a Twins, Vikings and North Stars fan, and later adopted the T-Pups and Wild, but since 1990 have never cared as much about all of them as I have the Gophers, because the U will never pick up and move, and the players that play there, choose to play there of their own free will, choosing Minnesota over hundreds of other options, and the U tries to help people out, while the pro teams only look out for themselves, that's the players and the ownership, etc., I mean, yeah, there are exceptions, but for the most part its a very selfish business with very little loyalty.

And part of the reason why its been easier to care less about the Vikes and Twins and T-Pups and Wild, etc., is because in the 70s and 80s, those teams or the teams they competed with seemed to have lots of Gophers playing for them. Since 1990, that has been less and ess the case, with the exception of the Wild and the NHL which is filled up with former Gophers. But is there a single player who played for the Gophers for more than one season in the NBA? Even Flip Saunders is no longer with us. Mason finally got a few players into the NFL, but before he got here, Minnesota players were almost non-existant in the NFL, and for every player added to NFL rosters, one less played for NBA teams. And after Molitor and Winfield retired, there was not a lot of Gopher presence in the MLB, either. The 70s and 80s were just a glorious period for former Gopher's in the pro sports.

Well, I am sorry for writing a book, or a full chapter at least, but it was a question that really brought up tons of great memories for me.

I'll try and keep this short. As an 8th grader in 1968, I got to attend Band Day at Memorial Stadium. (for younger fans - HS bands would sit in one end zone and play along with the Gopher Marching band at halftime). Gophers played USC and a RB named OJ Simpson. Gophs gave them a great game but USC won 29-20. (OJ w. 4 TD)

I followed the Gophers pretty closely through HS. Went to Band Day as a HS Soph & Sr. During my college years, went to a couple of games at Memorial, including a Gopher Win over Washington and QB Warren Moon. After college I still kept up with Gopher FB, but as a more casual fan. Later, I spent 4 years living in Wisconsin and 5 years in Iowa. Would check the sports page for Gopher scores, but that was largely in the pre-internet era, so a lot harder to keep track.

Moved back to MN in 1997 and followed Gophers much more closely. Started going to at least one game a year at the Dome. Watched them whenever on TV. Listened to Mason every week on the Sports Huddle with Sid - even called in with a few questions. Would also go up to the State Fair when Sid would have Gopher players on the Huddle live at the Fair every year. But, it really wasn't until a few years ago that I began to get more obsessed with Gopher FB. Coincidence or not, that was also when I started lurking and then posting on the Hole. (before that, Wren and I used to argue in the comments Section for Gopher articles in the Strib.)

Now, I live and die with every game. I would say that Gopher FB is my #1 sports obsession- over the Vikes, Twins and Gopher hoops. (more of a casual hockey fan). There are days when I question whether it's good for my overall mental health - but I'm hooked and not ready to consider rehab or a 12-step program (Gophers anonymous?)

Still upset about how Claeys was treated, and I'm just not ready yet to fully embrace Fleck, but I'm sure I'll settle down by next fall and be ready to go.

Pretty sure I was born a Gophs fan. First football game was in the late 70s against Mich at the Brick House. First hockey game as in 79, but most memorable was early in the season after 1980 Olympic gold metal win. A group of guys next to us in the upper deck had shirts printed up with Gopher 4 USSR 3 on the front. Still get goosebumps...

Little kid, grade school, with my Dad who bought tickets at random outside Memorial. We ended up sitting directly behind Bernie Bierman and the Gopher bench. Late in the game, Minnesota ahead of Iowa 49-7, a huge Minnesota player came out of the game, pulled off his helmet, threw back his head (big head) and laughed. He looked like a hero from a legend. It was Leo Nomellini. I was hooked.

Have always been a Minnesota homer. The first game that I think I ever saw on TV was vs. Purdue, probably in the late '60's. At that time the NCAA greatly limited television exposure - like one or sometimes two games on Saturday. I remember that either Jim Carter or Barry Mayer scored a TD in the Cooke Hall end zone and fired the ball high into those bleachers. No penalty IIRC. The refs had apparently not seen anything like it. I think that Craig Curry was the QB. I've been hooked ever since. The first game I saw in person was vs. Indiana in about '73, it was Lee Corso's first year. A fun thread - Oh, KillMeNow, I enjoyed reading your post - but I'm pretty sure that its the Lake City Tigers. Go Gophers!

2 memories stick out- the shutout of Michigan and my dad taking me to watch Dungy lead us to beat the Badgers in 1973 I believe.

In 1956, I was 6 years old. The Gophers were very good and I had never seen my dad so excited. We watched Minnesota win at Michigan on our tiny television. We went out to Wold-Chamberlain to meet the team. The players filed by and they were so happy. I was struck by how many were missing teeth! There was a special feeling in our house that was even clear to a child like me. It seemed that the Gophers might go to something called the Rose Bowl. We listened to the pivotal Iowa game on the radio, a 7-0 loss. Oh, the gloom! But I was absolutely hooked.

Nice thread. It's made me realize most of you foo'z are hella old! Lol! I'm a new generation of gopher fan. Young, urban, Hispanic and just love South MPLS (east lake st area) so much that love has extended to MN sports teams and by extension the gophers. I do remember Maroney n Barber tho when I was a kid. That got me hooked.

1982, against Ohio U, on my Birthday, season opener and first gopher game at the dome. Besides us winning big, I just remember my Dad telling me not to get excited because Ohio U aint Ohio State and the Gophers aint very good. Words to live by.

I moved to Minneapolis in Fall 2001 to attend college at the U. That Summer I was contacted by a member of the marching band to join. I arrived on campus that August and quickly made friends. Growing up in WI, everybody is a huge Badger fan. I remember marching in my first game at the Dome, running out the tunnel and onto the field, still a WI fan. By the end of the game, the Badger love faded, I had a new team to root for. I was a Golden Gopher, and will always be.

2001 was an odd season. No bowl game. 911 happened a few days after my first game. But I can say I have only missed a handful of home games since I arrived that Fall.

Go Gophers! Rah!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

It has to be the day I was born in late 1959, my Dad played for the Gophers and Paul Giel was at our house in Bloomington. My Mom went into labor and off to the hospital my parents went and Giel stayed with my big brother until my Aunt got to the house. As we always had season tickets, I can't even remember the first game I attended, but have always been a Gopher fan

Top Bottom