Video: 1-on-1 with Gophers Coach P.J. Fleck: National Signing Day will be Monumental

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per KSTP:

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen src="http://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/anvload.html?key=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" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

http://kstp.com/sports/gophers-coach-pj-fleck-national-signing-day-wednesday/4385078/

Go Gophers!!

Wait, he wore a suit during the day and a shirt at night?! Doesn't that send mixed signals to the players?

Is Monumental close to Elite?

The dude sure can talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dude sure can talk.

I appreciate how he points out the culture change which is so important here.

It really seems most people don't understand how important that is with the process.

I appreciate how he points out the culture change which is so important here.

It really seems most people don't understand how important that is with the process.
Along with that, the other thing I like that he brings up, which some posters have misinterpreted, is that the process is more important than the final results at this point.

The process

Along with that, the other thing I like that he brings up, which some posters have misinterpreted, is that the process is more important than the final results at this point.

It is about the process when you don't have a game for 7 months. That has to be the focus. It is about the process when you lose a game. Win a game, that's the result of the process. We only hear the same messages a couple times a week...the players hear it every day. 13 and 1 says his team did not tune him out. We can already finish his sentences. Watching this unfold is like watching a science experiment.

He has a really good recruiting class with only 3 weeks to assemble it. He has a really good coaching staff on board that he hired. Doing elite so far.

Along with that, the other thing I like that he brings up, which some posters have misinterpreted, is that the process is more important than the final results

That isn't what he said. Listen again if you like, right around the 1 minute mark. "The process is where you get the wins. You become a champion in the process, not on game day."

Won't be monumental..24/7 recruiting ranks us 55 in 2017, we were 46 in 2016 under Claeys. We made a ton of progress at a small marginal cost of $18MM.

Won't be monumental..24/7 recruiting ranks us 55 in 2017, we were 46 in 2016 under Claeys. We made a ton of progress at a small marginal cost of $18MM.

However it will show up more on the field this fall!

Said every successful coach, never.

That isn't what he said. Listen again if you like, right around the 1 minute mark. "The process is where you get the wins. You become a champion in the process, not on game day."
My post wasn't in quotations...I never said it was a direct quote.

He never brought up that the process is more important than the final results.
But at the same time, he has said before that he isn't wiling to compromise the process and the culture for immediate success. That was the case at WMU, and I'm guessing it will be the same here.

If immediate success comes along with it, great. But you won't be seeing him cut corners for an extra win or two in his first year.

13-1 isn't successful enough for you?

Well, he didn't actually say it, so there's that...which was my point with him.

I only expect 8 wins in the regular season next year, capped off by a nice bowl win. I'll take 13-1 in 2019 though.

But at the same time, he has said before that he isn't wiling to compromise the process and the culture for immediate success. That was the case at WMU, and I'm guessing it will be the same here.

If immediate success comes along with it, great. But you won't be seeing him cut corners for an extra win or two in his first year.

Gophs are already successful. PJ told the Seniors this is not a rebuild situation, and he expects to build on last years' record.

Gophs are already successful. PJ told the Seniors this is not a rebuild situation, and he expects to build on last years' record.
But you won't see him cut corners to get there

You're right, 2016 Minnesota was more talented than 2012 Western Michigan. But that doesn't really change the culture he's trying to instill or the process it'll take to get there.

How dare Mark Coyle mention that he was concerned about Tracey Claeys' ability to recruit when at the time our recruiting class was ranked 70th nationally and dead last 14th in the Big Ten. If any Gopher fan wasn't concerned about recruiting under Tracey Claeys then they simply weren't following very closely. Let me say that again. Ranked 70th at the time we fired Claeys, 25 days later and we have jumped 20 spots. Your argument is a joke.

To all the Claeys backers regarding his recruiting, please quit pointing to the 2016 class. First of all, Kill did most of the work. Second, with the unusually high amount of highly rated MN kids, that class was basically gift wrapped for Kill/Claeys.

When Coyle was talking about poor recruiting under Claeys he was obviously referring to how things were looking for 2017 a month before signing day. Anyone who doesn't see the point he is making is a moron.

My post wasn't in quotations...I never said it was a direct quote.

You seem to keep changing things, Josh.

To all the Claeys backers regarding his recruiting, please quit pointing to the 2016 class. First of all, Kill did most of the work. Second, with the unusually high amount of highly rated MN kids, that class was basically gift wrapped for Kill/Claeys.

So you are saying his recruiting class wasn't really as good as it looked - just like winning 9 games wasn't really as good as that looked.

But you won't see him cut corners to get there

You're right, 2016 Minnesota was more talented than 2012 Western Michigan. But that doesn't really change the culture he's trying to instill or the process it'll take to get there.

Cut corners to get to 8 wins in 2017? Help me out here...

Again, not a rebuild, in any way shape or form. His expectations seem pretty clear, build on 2016's record. Actually very clear. Perception is he's a better coach and recruiter, has a very good team of coaches, better players, better facilities, way more resources.

So you are saying his recruiting class wasn't really as good as it looked - just like winning 9 games wasn't really as good as that looked.

You and I have agreed in the past that the football future at Minnesota looks very good. Time to move on, don't you think? A thousand mile journey starts with the first step.........

Why are many so hard on Fleck because Claeys got fired? It was not his decision. I'm starting to think many of you are pizza restaurant owners and your business got cut in half. (Joke there, easy on the responses.....)

Top Bottom