STrib: Pitino puts onus on his players to stop "hijacking" the Gophers in close games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
STrib: Pitino puts onus on his players to stop "hijacking" the Gophers in close games

per Marcus:

Richard Pitino is putting the onus on his players to get the Gophers men’s basketball team back on track by snapping a five-game losing streak Saturday at Illinois.

When asked on his radio show Monday about what he would’ve done differently in the losses, Pitino said he didn’t know if there was anything specific.

But he sees a lot of issues with how his players are handling themselves down the stretch in games.

“They got to figure it out,” he said. “It’s gotta be done by them on the court. So you put them in positions in practice. But at the end of the day, they’ve got to do it.”

Last season, the Gophers (15-7, 3-6) lost eight games by six points or fewer. Five of the six conference losses this season are by single digits, including Saturday’s 85-78 loss against Maryland at home.

When it comes to late-game execution, Pitino put it more on the players than the coaching staff to execute by making better decisions and avoid costly mistakes.

“I can give them motivational speeches until I’m blue in the face,” Pitino said. “They’ve got to stop hijacking themselves in the game.”

It sounded a lot like Pitino was doing what some coaches can’t help but do sometimes when they get frustrated after losses. Blame players. But he caught himself.

“It’s hard because you don’t want to sound like you’re throwing your players under the bus,” he said. “Because I really like these guys. I enjoy coaching them. But there’s certain things that like when you’re at this level you cannot do. And we’re doing that. We have to stop doing that. All it does is it takes away from the confidence of this team.”

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-p...jacking-the-gophers-in-close-games/412319843/

Go Gophers!!

Will be interesting to see how (or if) the players respond to this Saturday afternoon. Not saying it's right or wrong, but a different approach than most coaches take when their team is struggling.

I will have to say that I have not been a fan of his last possession offensive philosophy. Having Mason start with 7 seconds left and go 1 on 1 and taking a fade away 17 footer with very little to no time to get a put back
is not my idea of the way to win a game.

Maybe they need Shooter to come in and call the picket fence play. Seriously, that's essentially what Gard drew up to get Koenig his game-tying shot. Irks me to no end that other players execute for their coaches but not ours. It seems well within the bounds of feasibility.

Agree. It's almost like we run the picket-fence for the first 20 seconds of each position, then clear for someone to go 1 on 1. If the picket fence will lead to an open shot, it makes sense. But sadly, that's not the pattern we've seen in the last half dozen games.

Agree. It's almost like we run the picket-fence for the first 20 seconds of each position, then clear for someone to go 1 on 1. If the picket fence will lead to an open shot, it makes sense. But sadly, that's not the pattern we've seen in the last half dozen games.

Who are you, Wilbur "Shooter" Flatch?

I listened to the interview yesterday and was pretty disheartened when Mike or Phil asked Pitino if there was anything he would have done differently during the 5 (please, please "just" be 5) game losing streak and he couldn't come up with anything. It does seem like Pitino is still trying to be mostly positive with this team as he's still talking like they are in good shape, but is adding that they need to get a win to the end of those statements now.

Wish he would focus on fixing the team D. That is the difference between winning games not weather or not a kid can make hero play at the end of the game.

The team is in a precarious spot right now. I've gone on record as saying that this team is too talented to keep losing - that you can't keep a good man down - but there's nothing more powerful than confidence or the lack thereof. A few weeks ago, the Gophers would have swooped into Champaigne and shredded the Illini. Now they'll just as likely be out there on the floor waiting for the other shoe to drop: blowing a double digit lead; an extended offensive drought; an extended defensive lapse; giving up a late, clutch shot; failing to convert a late offensive possession...or some combination of the above. If we fans are waiting for that other shoe to drop, the players and coaches certainly are, too.

Agreed. The O is fine. The trend of losing too many close games at the end has much more to do with poor defense and not being able to get stops when needed.

59 second half points to Maryland! That's terrible team D.

So what does he mean by hijacking? From this word, I would assume they move away from the game plan. But my guess is he means they just have to quit screwing up at the end

So what does he mean by hijacking? From this word, I would assume they move away from the game plan. But my guess is he means they just have to quit screwing up at the end

I prefer the term Shanghaing

The team is in a precarious spot right now. I've gone on record as saying that this team is too talented to keep losing - that you can't keep a good man down - but there's nothing more powerful than confidence or the lack thereof. A few weeks ago, the Gophers would have swooped into Champaigne and shredded the Illini. Now they'll just as likely be out there on the floor waiting for the other shoe to drop: blowing a double digit lead; an extended offensive drought; an extended defensive lapse; giving up a late, clutch shot; failing to convert a late offensive possession...or some combination of the above. If we fans are waiting for that other shoe to drop, the players and coaches certainly are, too.

Very good post, Bad Gopher. I agree completely.

However some of your posts on tOTB...... :)

I can't disagree with him. They've played a bunch of good teams and have largely played well. Its really come down to a play or 2 late in most of these games

It's true. I don't think I'll feel safe unless we are up by at least 25. And if we have less than a ten point lead under 2 minutes I will be very nervous.

Will be interesting to see how (or if) the players respond to this Saturday afternoon. Not saying it's right or wrong, but a different approach than most coaches take when their team is struggling.
Because most coaches have the coaching experience to discipline a team for poor on-the-court play.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I agree with BG, this thing is really shaky right now. If the guys don't get a W in the next 2-3 tries, it could just spiral downhill heading into March.
Having doubts about this coaching staff now, stemming from inability to get good shots (even out of timeouts, a key measure of coaching, IMO) and declining team defense.

The Gophers have lost a LOT of confidence the past 3 weeks or so. The MSU blowout in East Lansing really turned the season, not unlike what happened to the Vikes in Philly after the bye. Someone needs to step up and make plays down the stretch, to win.

Top Bottom