Brick by brick, or row the boat?

Reaction score
Brick by brick we still didn't beat the Badgers. We quit stacking the bricks at a 8 win regular season.
On KSTP 1500 Fleck called Wisconsin "Not Elite" . I guess the guantlet is out and I'm sure fodder on the Becky buillintin board. Fleck also said we are not rebuilding , the boat is going forward. Got to give the guy credit, he is laying his philosophy on the line, and in the meantime threw mud in Becky's face. I remember Brewster has a lot of bravado, but don't remember him coming out of the box right away and taking shots at either of our two biggest rivals. Kill and Claeys never did get into a pissing contest, and I don't think Mason did either. I was on the Western Michigan board after their game against Wisconsin and apparently the Wisconsin players were singing "Row row, row your boat" in the locker room. P.J. my man. You've got brass balls.

Is there actually a pissing contest?

I don't think there's any real risk here... each game the coach is on the line to some extent, no matter what he says.

Brick by brick we still didn't beat the Badgers. We quit stacking the bricks at a 8 win regular season.
On KSTP 1500 Fleck called Wisconsin "Not Elite" . I guess the guantlet is out and I'm sure fodder on the Becky buillintin board. Fleck also said we are not rebuilding , the boat is going forward. Got to give the guy credit, he is laying his philosophy on the line, and in the meantime threw mud in Becky's face. I remember Brewster has a lot of bravado, but don't remember him coming out of the box right away and taking shots at either of our two biggest rivals. Kill and Claeys never did get into a pissing contest, and I don't think Mason did either. I was on the Western Michigan board after their game against Wisconsin and apparently the Wisconsin players were singing "Row row, row your boat" in the locker room. P.J. my man. You've got brass balls.

This is probably taken out of context. It was during the end of a segment with PJ for a fun "ELITE" or "Not ELITE" game. They talked about Bieber, Country music and a few other things. What do you expect him to say?

This is probably taken out of context. It was during the end of a segment with PJ for a fun "ELITE" or "Not ELITE" game. They talked about Bieber, Country music and a few other things. What do you expect him to say?

No kidding. If he would have called Wisconsin elite, there would have been plenty of fans pissed off. No different than Limegrover saying 'I love you, and I hate Wisconsin'.

Not questioning it on my part. Just bringing it up.

Haven't heard segment yet. Job keeps getting in way of other stuff. Can anyone on here summarize what was said?

Throw the brick. Hey, it's football we're talking about here. A heavy hit is a Good thing!

I'm not sure they would've been singing "row row row you boat" if they knew Fleck was coming to Minnesota. WMU hung with Wisconsin, but the disrespect isn't necessarily unexpected since it was the last game of the season. I think this rivalry may actually become a rivalry after the Gophers beat the Badgers a couple times, which I think will happen in the next 5 or 6 years. I expect that Fleck will target Wisconsin and Iowa unlike his predessors.
Yeah, Kill repeatedly stated that the Gophers needed to win the rivalry games, but I don't think he wanted to put his eggs in that basket b/c he never seemed to believe that the Gophers should (not can) beat Wisconsin. I think Fleck thinks the other way around. He doesn't care what the programs' history is, he expects to win here and now whether it's rational or not. The Gophers need that kind irrationality.

Brick by brick probably makes a little more sense to me.

Problem with the bricks is that the bricks at the stadium are not structural.... makes no sense.

I honestly just wish Fleck would promote Ski-U-Mah more. It's really under-appreciated.

I honestly just wish Fleck would promote Ski-U-Mah more. It's really under-appreciated.

He's done a liner for KFAN, I don't have it exactly, but he introduces himself, says you're listening to KFAN, radio home of Gophers football and ends the liner with "Ski U Mah".

He probably promotes it more than any other Gophers coach in the past two decades.

Kill did put it on the helmets. Would also love it if the student section would do spontaneous Ski-U-Mah chants to get the whole crowd going.

Kill did put it on the helmets.
And Fleck says it practically any time he speaks in public. And considering how much he talks, that's a lot. Not just for 12 Saturdays in the fall.

Which do you think has more reach?

And Fleck says it practically any time he speaks in public. And considering how much he talks, that's a lot. Not just for 12 Saturdays in the fall.

Which do you think has more reach?

I get it. I like that he is saying it, but it also fits with his schtick. The helmet spot is prominent.

Can't tell you how many times I saw it watching their games on TV. Multiply by the number of eye balls also watching...

Younger coaches, even some older ones too, have used their signature lines to conclude every interview, like Beilema with On Wisconsin, Fitzgerald with Go Cats, Dantonio with Go Green etc.
I don't think Kill thought that kind of thing was important, and I can't remember him ever saying Ski-U-Mah. He put it on the helmets, but probably felt stupid saying it or at least he wasn't comfortable making it a brand like PJF likes to do with mottos.
It's a branding opportunity and not something to hide. If it has meaning and significance to Minnesota Gopher Athletics, it should be stated and restated. It should be prominent on Gopher apparel.

It's hard to row a boat full of bricks.

Agree. Should be spontaneous from student section...
Also agree.
Ski(an off shoot from a Dakota/Lakota victory cry)-U-(for the U) Mah ( added to rhyme with rah). Should be combined with a Rah! Rah! Rah!Ski-U -Mah!

Top Bottom