Current game of Mi. Hurt

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
I know he's not getting a ton of clock, but I'm curious how good he is? When he comes in, he doesn't do much. But we're getting contributions from our other freshman, but he hasn't shown anything impressive. Is he a good use of a scholarship? I know nothing about his game.

Edit: I know he's only a freshman, so need to be more patient. I just haven't seen anything good that sticks out

Not ready yet, not unusual for most freshmen.

When I see him coming in I have one thought, "Don't hurt us." (no pun intended)

Doesn't mean he won't be a good player in the future. He had a huge turnover vs. Maryland leading to a layup that finally got Terps even (think it was 54-54 or 64-64?). Wasn't sure why we had him in at that point. The game was getting tight, pressure-packed, he's not ready to play in those kind of minutes yet.

Looks like the kind of kid we would have put on the floor last year. Undertanlented and overmatched. In the last 10 years I've never seen a kid at his relative talent amount to a significant player. He's small, not overly strong, not a great ball handler and not a great shooter. Defensively I haven't noticed him much so he's probably all right. If he was terrible at defense they would abuse him more when he is out there. Basically he can spell a guard or small forward for 2-3 minutes and as long as he doesn't touch the ball on offense he won't hurt you.

He's definitely not ready to play in the B1G. Not meant to be a knock on him. Most guys aren't as freshman. Way too early to decide if it was a good use of a scholarship. He could develop into a nice player as a junior/senior. I think his problem right now is the speed of the game. That's something that can come with time, but there will be some ugly moments (his minutes in the second half against MD come to mind) as he tries to get there. I'm not sold that he will get there, but I'm not sold that he won't either.

Doesn't mean he won't be a good player in the future. He had a huge turnover vs. Maryland leading to a layup that finally got Terps even (think it was 54-54?). Wasn't sure why we had him in at that point. The games was getting tight, pressure-packed, he's not ready to play in those kind of minutes yet.

What was the name of that small player that looked weak as a freshman but was a real contributor as a senior? Oh yeah that guy doesn't exist. I've seen good players get better (marginally) but almost never seem guys progress from this kids level to good. It took several years to teach Konate to stop trying to do stuff. Don't dribble, don't pass, don't shoot. Just defend, and dunk if your close enough to do so without dribbling. Hurt's not big enough to contribute that way.

Doesn't mean he won't be a good player in the future. He had a huge turnover vs. Maryland leading to a layup that finally got Terps even (think it was 54-54 or 64-64?). Wasn't sure why we had him in at that point. The game was getting tight, pressure-packed, he's not ready to play in those kind of minutes yet.

Hurt picked a bad time to have his first real bad turnover.

I'm battling with being patient with freshman vs. the thought that a big ten freshman should make some real contributions due to how much basketball they have already played due to AAU prior to being a freshman

People really are dismissing him as a player after his freshman year? I can think of so many players that were absolute disasters as freshman become contributors by the end. I think Hurt could end up as a Joey King type player, which would be great. Joey wasn't great as a guy you had to rely on to be one of your main guys, but he was a valuable team player. Hurt is smart, he works hard, he can pass, and he has the ability to become a good shooter for us. I don't think he'll ever become a superstar, but I fully expect him to be a useful rotation guy/potential starter by the end of his career here.

Michael Hurt

Michael Hurt has some potential as a SF, would get abused playing a quick guard. He was a very solid 3pt shooter in high school- at 6-7 that would be great! May contribute as an upper classman. Definitely needs strength, ok athlete, fundamentally sound on defense. He will put on muscle, improve his ball handling and hopefully recover his 3pt shot. I agree if he doesn't regain that he is just a spot player.

My guess is that he is a borderline B1G recruit who has a younger brother who will be a McDonald's All American. Let's also remember that Coffey and Curry are phenomenal freshmen and a large amount of our recruits in the last decade would look unimpressive next to them.

Looks like the kind of kid we would have put on the floor last year. Undertanlented and overmatched. In the last 10 years I've never seen a kid at his relative talent amount to a significant player. He's small, not overly strong, not a great ball handler and not a great shooter. Defensively I haven't noticed him much so he's probably all right. If he was terrible at defense they would abuse him more when he is out there. Basically he can spell a guard or small forward for 2-3 minutes and as long as he doesn't touch the ball on offense he won't hurt you.

He's a decent defender / rebounder, has good size for his position, and if he can turn into a knock down shooter in the coming years he will be an asset.
He had some okay moments in pre-season - I think it's a mistake for Pitino to put him into high pressure B10 situations ala Maryland.
He had offers from Northwestern Nebraska, N. Iowa, and Dayton, among others. It's not like we took a complete flier on him. Give him some time - I think he has a very high Bball IQ and could develop into a solid role player in coming years.

People really are dismissing him as a player after his freshman year? I can think of so many players that were absolute disasters as freshman become contributors by the end. I think Hurt could end up as a Joey King type player, which would be great. Joey wasn't great as a guy you had to rely on to be one of your main guys, but he was a valuable team player. Hurt is smart, he works hard, he can pass, and he has the ability to become a good shooter for us. I don't think he'll ever become a superstar, but I fully expect him to be a useful rotation guy/potential starter by the end of his career here.

Name a few, just for giggles. Konate is a rare case of a guy who started playing ball real late getting better because he is learning the game here for the first time. These AAU kids are 10 years in. They are who they are as freshman with rare exceptions. Joey King was an emotional leader for this team by the end, but his game, great three point shooting, slow, can't rebound, can't dribble, looked pretty much the same first year to last.

It would be great if he could hit one of his open 3s he's had. The crowd wants to cheer for him big time and you can tell his teammates want him to gain some confidence. He looked scared this last game.

I believe he will be a solid bench player and may earn a starting role as he progresses(junior or senior year). He needs to add strength and quickness to his game. Sounds like he is a hard worker and that can only help him.

bad turn over against MD....I saw it coming a mile away....ugh.

He'll be ok. He's the type of guy that is a valuable player by his 2nd or 3rd year. He's kind of a stretch 4 type and I think he can handle it a little bit. He doesn't play long enough stretches to ever really get comfortable or truly involved in the game so its hard to expect much from him. Some guys either have the shooter mindset or are the hyper energy guys that can come in and provide a spark for a 3-4 mn run but I don't think he fits that bill.

OAN I'd like to see Gilbert get some run in a similar role. He can shoot it and it gives us another wing that can play.

We have him so we can recruit his brother.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

It would be great if he could hit one of his open 3s he's had. The crowd wants to cheer for him big time and you can tell his teammates want him to gain some confidence. He looked scared this last game.

Taped the Maryland game and watched it for the first time last night. More entertaining than I had anticipated. Good to see Springs lit up, and Mason keeping our team FT % out of the gutter. My expectation for Hurt has been that he would be able to bring his 3 pt skills even as a freshman, but he seems to struggle. His attempt from the top of the key was a clanker. Has he developed a shot-fake hitch ala JK? This seems to allow the defenders to close on him in the corners and there goes his shot opportunity. If he is in fact a deadly 3 pt man, I'd prefer to see him go straight up more like Hoff. Still thinking he can iron this out and improve his game.
And unrelated...what's with Pitino's body language:confused: 2nd half timeout with the players all gathering to him, he's got his arms crossed over his chest. That's never Good body posture.

Name a few, just for giggles. Konate is a rare case of a guy who started playing ball real late getting better because he is learning the game here for the first time. These AAU kids are 10 years in. They are who they are as freshman with rare exceptions. Joey King was an emotional leader for this team by the end, but his game, great three point shooting, slow, can't rebound, can't dribble, looked pretty much the same first year to last.

Justin Cobbs - awful here, went on to be first team all Pac 12, Trevor Mbakwe - did nothing his first year at Marquette, great here, Mo Walker was a disaster as a sophomore, granted he was coming back from an injury. Was able to turn it around his JR and SR years.

Justin Cobbs - awful here, went on to be first team all Pac 12, Trevor Mbakwe - did nothing his first year at Marquette, great here, Mo Walker was a disaster as a sophomore, granted he was coming back from an injury. Was able to turn it around his JR and SR years.

Jim Shikenjanski, Eric Harris, both guys I wondered WTH Clem was thinking when he recruited them after watching their freshman and maybe even sophomore seasons. Turned out OK for Shik and Harris.

We could do this all day, and these are just examples of the guys associated with the U of M. Not to mention all of the other very successful players in the country that started off slow and ended up being very good to, might I say, ELITE basketball players. How about Malcolm Brogdon? Frank Kaminsky? ..........

Cobb and Mbakwe I'm not going to comment on how guys played somewhere else. I'm a fan but I don't break down tape of guys when they aren't playing here. Mbakwe was great as a sophomore here and great as a senior here, so not similar situation. Mo Walker was an overweight center that was slow and couldn't finish at the rim as a freshman and was a fit center that was slow and couldn't finish at the rim as a senior. He played more minutes as a senior but not necessarily much more productive.

Jim Shikenjanski, Eric Harris, both guys I wondered WTH Clem was thinking when he recruited them after watching their freshman and maybe even sophomore seasons. Turned out OK for Shik and Harris.

Shik is from a different Era, so was Richard Coffey, back then pretty common to start college and have a lot of learning to do on how to play the game. Harris is the guy I would come up with to rebut me, had a great senior year, that's one. WAY more guys you could name trailed off in the other direction from freshman promise to senior nothing.

He's a 6'7" small forward. Not sure how that qualifies as small.

Also, he's a much, much better shooter than he has shown so far. It's too early and the sample size is too small to come to harsh conclusions. When he played against good competition in AAU he was smart, unselfish, a good passer, and a fantastic three point shooter. Give him some time. It's also tough to knock down shots immediately after coming into a game where you aren't warmed up. If he was getting more minutes I bet his shooting percentages would be a lot better.

We could do this all day, and these are just examples of the guys associated with the U of M. Not to mention all of the other very successful players in the country that started off slow and ended up being very good to, might I say, ELITE basketball players. How about Malcolm Brogdon? Frank Kaminsky? ..........

Frank was on my mind to from a National standpoint, but that just shows how rare it is to actually happen. Malcolm Brogdon's production as a freshman per minute was pretty damn good but he only played 20 minutes per game. Guarantee no one watched him play as a freshman and asked how the hell he got a DI scholarship.

Cobb and Mbakwe I'm not going to comment on how guys played somewhere else. I'm a fan but I don't break down tape of guys when they aren't playing here. Mbakwe was great as a sophomore here and great as a senior here, so not similar situation. Mo Walker was an overweight center that was slow and couldn't finish at the rim as a freshman and was a fit center that was slow and couldn't finish at the rim as a senior. He played more minutes as a senior but not necessarily much more productive.

Austin Hollins is another one that comes to mind. Played a lot more than Hurt his freshman year, but only averaged 4.5 ppg. His poor 3 point shooting is what sticks out the most to me. Shot 26% and missed everything at times.

We have him so we can recruit his brother.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I went and saw the John Marshall vs Mayo game last Saturday....and it was so awful to watch. JM was up about 35 by halftime, but it was like watching a pickup game at the "Y". Almost like a layup drill. JM has a few other very good players....and I know that Lakeville North and Reuvers are in their section, but this is the year JM might be able to make it to state.

I agree though....his younger brother is going to be one of the top players in the country in his class. I heard Roy Williams was at the game the week before against Austin.

Top Bottom