What's the Deal with Gilbert Getting No Minutes?

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Anyone got any info? Played a lot last year and I think he started a few games. Can shoot it some and provides some instant offense. Hurt really doesn't provide anything at this point other than an "in" for his brother. 5 straight losses- time to shake things up a bit.

None of us are privy to what is going on in practice and perhaps it has something to do with that. Unfortunately I don't think giving him Hurt's 4-8 minutes per game would help much, but you never know.

The main issue is the terrible shooting of our PG and starting PF. Not sure how you correct that.

Hurt passed Gilbert on the edge of the rotation late in the non-conference season. Gilbert was 1-10 from the field in the last four games he played and probably more than anything what hurt him is he started having "Maverick" moments where he looked like he didn't belong on the floor. The kid tries hard and seems to give off a good energy when he does play, but he's one of the slower non center players I remember (he'd still beat Julian Welch in a race) and doesn't handle the ball well.

Anyone got any info? Played a lot last year and I think he started a few games. Can shoot it some and provides some instant offense. Hurt really doesn't provide anything at this point other than an "in" for his brother. 5 straight losses- time to shake things up a bit.

I think you answered your own question in your post.

The main issue is the terrible shooting of our PG and starting PF. Not sure how you correct that.

I'm afraid our main issue is defense, or a lack thereof. 59 points to Maryland in the second half? Losing at the end of games. We can't get stops when we need them. Our O is fine. We can score in multiple ways and score enough to win even when a starter or two is having a bad shooting day (which will almost always happen). On D, we collapse and then don't close out on kick outs. Our defense has been brutal.

Any chance they're trying to make sure there will be 2 additional scholarships available after this season?

I think it is as simple as Hurt is a more reliable player than Gilbert. Both play with energy but Gilbert is more likely to turn the ball over, throw up a couple quick bad shots, and be out of position on the defensive end.

I think it is as simple as Hurt is a more reliable player than Gilbert. Both play with energy but Gilbert is more likely to turn the ball over, throw up a couple quick bad shots, and be out of position on the defensive end.

I don't know. In the early non-conference season Gilbert actually raised my eyebrows with some good 3-pt shooting. He regressed the closer we got to the New Year, but other than the one shot Hurt made at Purdue, he's a black hole. As I watched the Maryland game I couldn't help but compare the freshman Kevin Huerter (6-7, 190) to Michael Hurt (6-7, 200)... no comparison... one can play at this level and one can't. Then Hurt threw that telescoped pass to the wing and a Maryland guard picked it and raced the length of the court. That play was monumental in our loss. I don't know what the coach is thinking giving any minutes to Hurt. It's not like he's that good on defense. And as far as trying to lure Mathew Hurt... give it up. When Roy Williams is in your gym on Friday nights the only reason Hurt is going to consider staying here is because he wants to wear the M, not because he watched his older brother turn the ball over for three years.

There's really no upside to playing Gilbert over Hurt, no matter how you slice it. Neither is a difference maker at this point. Hurt is younger, works as hard or harder, is younger, and has a 5-star brother.

And yeah, Gilbert has been my transfer prediction since last summer.

How come Gaston doesnt get playing time?. I mean come on the guy can ball. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

He has size and has a nice shot but that's about it. Seems like just a lack of trust in him

Funny, Gilbert gets first B10 minutes of year and Hurt DNP. Result of team meeting? Ricky reading GH? Very coincidental.

Funny, Gilbert gets first B10 minutes of year and Hurt DNP. Result of team meeting? Ricky reading GH? Very coincidental.

He chucked one up immediately- this team should/has a defensive identity , when they lock down like early big ten games and the second half Saturday they are hard to beat - does Gilbert/ hurt provide the kind of defensive intensity to rationalize playing time?

In Gilbert's 2 some minutes vs. Iowa I counted 3 times Richard put his hands over is face in disbelief and disgust. One was the air balled three, and another was when he got caught flat-footed and badly beat on a backdoor cut for an easy layup.

Not going to be surprised if we don't see him again this season.

In Gilbert's 2 some minutes vs. Iowa I counted 3 times Richard put his hands over is face in disbelief and disgust. One was the air balled three, and another was when he got caught flat-footed and badly beat on a backdoor cut for an easy layup.

The battle between Gilbert and Hurt is something fierce.

Someone needs to pick up 5 minutes for Coffey in the first half. As we all saw, he's getting run ragged and will likely have a very poor late portion of the season unless his minutes diminish a bit. Not sure he's played this many minutes in this many games throughout his highschool career.

Someone needs to pick up 5 minutes for Coffey in the first half. As we all saw, he's getting run ragged and will likely have a very poor late portion of the season unless his minutes diminish a bit. Not sure he's played this many minutes in this many games throughout his highschool career.

True, but didn't he play a ton of AAU games after the high school basketball season? Not to mention the HS season including playoffs is over 30 games. I am sure he will be just fine.

And to be honest, I'd rather it be neither right now. One of mason, Springs, McBrayer and Coffey is going to be out of the game at a time. Luckily, there's versatility in there where you can interchange it at this point. Rather have McB come in for 5 minutes at the 3 than either of Hurt or Gilbert. Hurt is overmatched right now, Gilbert just doesn't get it when he's out there. Both are serious liabilities

And to be honest, I'd rather it be neither right now. One of mason, Springs, McBrayer and Coffey is going to be out of the game at a time. Luckily, there's versatility in there where you can interchange it at this point. Rather have McB come in for 5 minutes at the 3 than either of Hurt or Gilbert. Hurt is overmatched right now, Gilbert just doesn't get it when he's out there. Both are serious liabilities

And that's essentially what they do in the 2nd half.

Pitino trys to get 5 minutes from Konate and Hurt/Gilbert in the 1st half. If they have a lead he'll try to do it again in the 2nd half. That's the rotation right now.

I know what you guys want, but this could be an issue in late game situations as well as the back half of the year.

They are humans and can't just mash the turbo button all the time.

Top Bottom