Pioneer Press: Akeem Springs a bright spot on slumping team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

And while the losses have continued for the Gophers (15-7, 3-6 Big Ten), Springs has excelled in the new role, netting at least 15 points in each of his three starts.

“It’s hard to say,” Pitino said, unable to pinpoint why exactly Springs is playing better. “It could help a guy’s confidence when you start. But he’s playing well. He’s doing a lot of good things.”

Springs, a graduate transfer from Wisconsin-Milwaukee in his first year at the U, slowly has earned more playing time and is making good use of his additional minutes.

Coming off the bench during the first 18 games of the season, he averaged 7.8 points per game. As a starter the past three games, Springs is averaging 17.3 points per game and has become the player teammates turn to for a key bucket late in a game, part of the reason he was so upset after the loss to Maryland.

“When you’re in close games like we’ll be in all season, your seniors have to step up and make the plays down the stretch,” Springs said. “It doesn’t matter what you do the rest of the game. If you don’t make the plays down the stretch, you’re not going to win. With a team that’s younger, your seniors have to step up and make the plays. That’s all it is.

“I had a few defensive mistakes down the stretch, and that really cost us the game. I take this game on my back. We lost because I didn’t make the plays down the stretch. There were rebounds I didn’t get. Take their hat off to them, but this game is on me.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/3...akeem-springs-a-bright-spot-on-slumping-team/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom