Reusse: Most beloved teams in Minnesota sports history (1960 Gophers football)

Reusse is a baseball guy first and foremost. The " row the boat" comment was typical Pat.

Reusse is a baseball guy first and foremost. The " row the boat" comment was typical Pat.

Reusse simply cannot pass up an opportunity to take a little veiled shot....even though he himself is a walking, talking caricature.

I wasn't around for the 1960 game. Too bad it's not available to view today.
For me, the answer would be the 1999 game at Penn State. No championship on the line and our team was full of scrappers. Even so, I've never felt more jubilation about a Gopher game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

For me, the answer would be the 1999 game at Penn State. No championship on the line and our team was full of scrappers. Even so, I've never felt more jubilation about a Gopher game.

I think Penn State was ranked #2 in the country at that time.

The 16-0 defeat of Michigan in '77 was no slouch. Michigan was #1 at the time.

Same for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Yearning for the old days eh Reusse?

Those were individual games, both of which were two of my favorites in Gopher football history, or at least that I witnessed personally. But I think Ruesse was talking about teams. Not sure too many people can say they have special place in their heart for the 1977 Gopher football team, but its possible more people will say that about the 1999 team, that was probably my favorite Gopher football squad in my lifetime, but that is only because I wasn't alive in 1960. 2003 gave us 1 more win including our last win over Wisconsin and a bowl game win, too, and that was the year we broke all those rushing records, but in 1999 a lot of Gopher fans still had truly high hopes for the program under Mason and it was the season that has ever since had Gopher fans believing you can win at Minnesota as we came just a fg away from the Big Ten title and so our expectations have been higher ever since, which is a good thing. Although beating Michigan, Iowa and Nebraska and coming so close to eventual natty champs OSU in 2014 was a lot of fun, too.

All 3 of those seasons have very big positives, but also some negatives. I guess I'm thinking my favorite season is soon to come. A season when we can win all of our Trophy games, or at least the Big 3, Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin and though its not a trophy game, gotta include Nebraska in their, too.

Top Bottom