P.J. Fleck and today's Sports Huddle listing

DL65

Reaction score
According to a posting last night on Facebook, former Gopher and Packer player Jim Carter will join Mike Max as co-host on today's Sports Huddle. Sid will join the duo later in the show.

Mike Max gave a list of seven scheduled guests; however, P.J. Fleck's name was not listed. I'll listen to the start of the show to see if there are any changes. Because of recruiting and meeting with visiting players and parents, I imagine coach Fleck will not be on today's show.

Go Gophers!!

According to a posting last night on Facebook, former Gopher and Packer player Jim Carter will join Mike Max as co-host on today's Sports Huddle. Sid will join the duo later in the show.

Mike Max gave a list of seven scheduled guests; however, P.J. Fleck's name was not listed. I'll listen to the start of the show to see if there are any changes. Because of recruiting and meeting with visiting players and parents, I imagine coach Fleck will not be on today's show.

Go Gophers!!

GL, you are a GH VIP. Thank you.

According to a posting last night on Facebook, former Gopher and Packer player Jim Carter will join Mike Max as co-hosts on today's Sports Huddle. Sid will join the duo later in the show.

Go Gophers!!

They should change the name of the show to "Stupid and Stupider".

No changes . . . Mike Max did not mention P.J. Fleck's name at the start of today's Sports Huddle.

Go Gophers!!

Hard to believe that even with recruiting visits going on, that Fleck couldn't take 10 minutes to make a phone call. I know some people think WCCO is irrelevant, but it does have a state-wide signal, unlike the sports radio stations who barely penetrate outside the metro area. I realize you can listen on the web, but lots of people don't do that.

Go Gophers!!

Apparently Jim wants to get on to the Board of Regents. He had some deep personal problems 40 years ago so his political opponents have thrown that information into the ring to block him. From what I heard him say the regents pretty much let Kaler do what he wants while our university dramatically falls academically. He mentioned something about being a top ten school in some areas in the past and now we are over 100 in our ratings in those areas. He, again as I understood him as my internet connection went in and out several times, feels that Kaler handled the entire issue with the suspended players poorly. Had he handled it correctly it would have been put to bed by now. Again, I am having internet issues so if someone heard this more clearly please let us know.

Kaler - hires an allegedly sexual harassing AD obviously without proper vetting; the AD's behavior continues here at the U, he fires the AD, takes 6 months to hire a search firm to begin to find an new AD; promotes Claeys to head coach with an interim AD in place; hires a new AD who of course will want to have his own head football coach in place ASAP; when Claeys starts spring practice he temporarily looses his 2 main assistants as their fathers pass away and another important coach fights for his life in the hospital; does nothing to throw extra support at his head coach who was clearly over his making statements like 'over 50% of time is spent on non-football coaching stuff.'

What am I missing? Oh, according to Jim Carter, handled the suspended player issue poorly. Hmmmm

Obviously, a lot of unanswered questions with Fleck going forward. Will he do a regular segment on 'CCO? Will he have a TV show or something on the internet? I assume he will by contract continue to do the 'official' FB coaches radio show - Gopher FB weekly - but that only runs during the season.

I thought having Kill and Claeys on 'CCO weekly - even if it was just for a few minutes - was an effective way to keep people thinking and hopefully talking about Gopher FB. One of the big criticisms of Mason was that he never did anything in the off-season to promote Gopher FB. Kill and Claeys at least tried to fill the off-season with Gopher FB talk and information. Will Fleck do the same? remains to be seen.

But - for the Flecksters - I don't think a 5 or 10-minute radio segment is going to result in the U of MN losing any key recruits. You can always find a reason to do something, and you can always find a reason to not do something. Right now, Fleck is finding a reason to not do a radio interview.

Wait until Sid comes back to the sports huddle. I can't see PJ Fleck being able to tell Sid no.

Obviously, a lot of unanswered questions with Fleck going forward. Will he do a regular segment on 'CCO? Will he have a TV show or something on the internet? I assume he will by contract continue to do the 'official' FB coaches radio show - Gopher FB weekly - but that only runs during the season.

I thought having Kill and Claeys on 'CCO weekly - even if it was just for a few minutes - was an effective way to keep people thinking and hopefully talking about Gopher FB. One of the big criticisms of Mason was that he never did anything in the off-season to promote Gopher FB. Kill and Claeys at least tried to fill the off-season with Gopher FB talk and information. Will Fleck do the same? remains to be seen.

But - for the Flecksters - I don't think a 5 or 10-minute radio segment is going to result in the U of MN losing any key recruits. You can always find a reason to do something, and you can always find a reason to not do something. Right now, Fleck is finding a reason to not do a radio interview.

That show is dying. KFAN has the rights to Gopher football and 1500 KSTP has Gopher basketball and hockey. It would make sense to be on theses stations. Once Sid is gone I am not sure that show will even exist. If Mike Max is ever a permanent host then it is dead for sure.

Ski-U-Mah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I think it's partly the suspensions. PJ just doesn't want to go there. It's firing all the coaches. There are lot of things he doesn't have answers to yet. Far more questions than answers so far. And possibly he's not a fan of Mike Max...he asks antagonizing questions at press conferences (PJ and Pitino)...somebody isn't going to be excited to put up with his bluster or ham handed approach.

He has better things to do this weekend and avoiding the inevitable questions about the Title IX
mess is smart at this juncture. He is media savvy.

Fleck is changing the culture. I presume Fleck is at church on Sunday mornings.

Mike Max: a face for radio and a voice for the newspaper.

Apparently Jim wants to get on to the Board of Regents. He had some deep personal problems 40 years ago so his political opponents have thrown that information into the ring to block him. From what I heard him say the regents pretty much let Kaler do what he wants while our university dramatically falls academically. He mentioned something about being a top ten school in some areas in the past and now we are over 100 in our ratings in those areas. He, again as I understood him as my internet connection went in and out several times, feels that Kaler handled the entire issue with the suspended players poorly. Had he handled it correctly it would have been put to bed by now. Again, I am having internet issues so if someone heard this more clearly please let us know.

Kaler - hires an allegedly sexual harassing AD obviously without proper vetting; the AD's behavior continues here at the U, he fires the AD, takes 6 months to hire a search firm to begin to find an new AD; promotes Claeys to head coach with an interim AD in place; hires a new AD who of course will want to have his own head football coach in place ASAP; when Claeys starts spring practice he temporarily looses his 2 main assistants as their fathers pass away and another important coach fights for his life in the hospital; does nothing to throw extra support at his head coach who was clearly over his making statements like 'over 50% of time is spent on non-football coaching stuff.'

What am I missing? Oh, according to Jim Carter, handled the suspended player issue poorly. Hmmmm

Yeah, almost none of this is true or accurate.

I don't think Fleck's advisers would want him on a show with a prospective regent who has an ax to grind.

Carter complained about none of the old coaches being retained, how the BOR isn't reining in Kaler, and how Carter's actions 40 years ago are being brought up to disparage him. He was especially hard on Kaler because he sees the academic side of the Kaler's job in a downward spiral. Other than that it was all duckies and bunnies.

He is in charge of stirring the paste before consuming.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Paste.

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

[/B]

I agree. I think it's partly the suspensions. PJ just doesn't want to go there. It's firing all the coaches. There are lot of things he doesn't have answers to yet. Far more questions than answers so far. And possibly he's not a fan of Mike Max...he asks antagonizing questions at press conferences (PJ and Pitino)...somebody isn't going to be excited to put up with his bluster or ham handed approach.

This has to be it since Phil Mackey just announced on twitter that coach Fleck will be on Judd and Mackey tomorrow.

"...included news clipping copies about an incident in which Carter exposed himself to a team receptionist and asked for oral sex. They promise to complicate Carter's Board of Regents candidacy on the heels of the suspensions of Gophers football players involved in a sexual assault investigation and the firing of their coach — a highly publicized episode whose handling Carter has vocally criticized."

Yep, smear campaign...

http://www.startribune.com/regent-finalist-jim-carter-accuses-u-of-minn-leaders-of-smear-campaign/410663305/

Carter complained about none of the old coaches being retained, how the BOR isn't reining in Kaler, and how Carter's actions 40 years ago are being brought up to disparage him. He was especially hard on Kaler because he sees the academic side of the Kaler's job in a downward spiral. Other than that it was all duckies and bunnies.

The BOR can't because the "culture" disease starts with them. The vision and focus has to start with them. It is not all about athletics improvements. It is about a coherent vision to raise the academic prestige of the entire university instead of seeing it in potential decline.

Fleck is on 1500 right now in studio for a half hour.

Top Bottom