Schierhorn, Gophers Blank Bemidji State, 4-0

Reaction score
After falling to UMD on Friday, the Gophers wanted to at least get one win this year at the NSCC. Despite a slow start, Minnesota rebounded with a big 4-0 victory over No. 20 Bemidji State.

Getting A Win
The Gophers came into the game losers of two straight, and needed to top BSU to stem the bleeding.

“It’s important to turn things around,” said Ryan Norman. “Especially after losing two games in a row - last weekend in Wisconsin and last night to Duluth - so it’s important to start turning things around and heading in the right direction starting now.”

Slow Start
The early going weren’t kind to the Gophers. The Beavers had a couple breakaways in the first minutes but couldn’t beat Eric Schierhorn. It wasn’t the start Minnesota wanted, but they eventually settled in.

“It took us all three sets of D, a whole rotation through...I felt like Vince Lombardi, his famous quote, ‘What the hell is going on out there,’” said Lucia of the early pressure.

Fourth Line Rewarded
Minnesota’s fourth line of Ryan Norman, Darian Romanko, and Jack Ramsey played a great game against UMD, and were finally rewarded with a big goal against the Beavers.

“I thought it was a pretty important goal to get our team ahead,” said the goal scorer, Ryan Norman.

By The Numbers
25 Shots faced, 25 saves for Eric Schierhorn. The sophomore goalie set the tone early in the first period with a couple breakaway stops and finished with a shutout.

3 Goals in the third period for the Gophers. They outshot BSU, 12-4, in the final 20 minutes for a commanding close to the contest.

2 Points for Vinni Lettieri who notched assists 11 and 12 on the season.

Three Stars
3 Taylor Cammarata had a goal and an assist.

2 Leon Bristedt scored the eventual game-winner for the Gophers.

1 Eric Schierhorn recorded the 25-shot shutout of the Beavers.

What’s Next
The Golden Gophers return to Big Ten play on February 3-4 against the high-powered Penn Sate Nittany Lions. The puck is scheduled to drop at 7 p.m. both nights.

That was one strange start with three Bemidji break aways. There were two back to back boarding penalties (one on Colins and the other on SCSU O'Connor) that a few years ago would have drawn 5:00 minute majors that only drew two minutes after a discussion.

On a similar note; we left after the Gopher game but got home in time to catch some of the Badger/Buckeye game in Madison Square Garden. Josh Healey leveled the Badger's Grant Besse in open ice with a shot to the head which I assumed would draw a 5:00 major and a game disqualification. Healey was given a 5:00 interference major and allowed to continue play after serving it. I don't recall a seeing a 5:00 penalty for interference (for that matter interference didn't appear to be the proper call). I had to wonder whether they used the interence call to avoid the disqualification.

Top Bottom