Shooter: Gopher players no longer can wear hats and use head phones in training facil

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Under new Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck, players no longer can wear hats and use head phones/ear buds in the training facility. They also will have to wear collared shirts to class.

Meanwhile, Fleck, in a meeting with seniors, said the team is not in a rebuilding situation, but will build on last year’s (9-4, 5-4 Big Ten) record.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/2...a-lot-of-credit-to-wild-coach-bruce-boudreau/

Go Gophers!!

Sooo how do they get collared shirts? Enough to wear everyday? Most of them have no money to go out and buy a shirt.

Sooo how do they get collared shirts? Enough to wear everyday? Most of them have no money to go out and buy a shirt.

You're kidding right? You can buy a collared shirt at Target for $10-20. Not to mention all the free polo shirts they get from Nike.

I bet they'll have a harder time adjusting to the no earbuds policy than the collared shirt policy.

The no earbuds is actually good. No doubt that people get use to it and will be hard to adjust. However by not using them, it puts you more in a workout frame of mind and better concentration of what you are doing.

Haven't done it in a while but the earbuds during the Victory Walk always seemed out of place.

The players without them were certainly the most engaged with the fans.

I do see these actions...dropping hats and buds and adding collars...as part of culture...

No headphones while workout out? Do they play music over speakers? Working out in silence all of the time would be awful lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awful? The youth of today are spoiled. When we were that age, the only thing we heard was our coaches in our ear. Then later that night listening to our cute little GF's saying sweet nothings! Somehow we all managed. :>0

Awful? The youth of today are spoiled. When we were that age, the only thing we heard was our coaches in our ear. Then later that night listening to our cute little GF's saying sweet nothings! Somehow we all managed. :>0

And I walked to school in the snow uphill...both ways! So what? I thought the draw was that Fleck was coach cool with a DJ at practice and wore a microphone. So no ear buds...not sure I understand what that is trying to accomplish.

And I walked to school in the snow uphill...both ways! So what? I thought the draw was that Fleck was coach cool with a DJ at practice and wore a microphone. So no ear buds...not sure I understand what that is trying to accomplish.

If you don't see what no earbuds does then you just don't get it. BTW - I also don't get it.

You're kidding right? You can buy a collared shirt at Target for $10-20. Not to mention all the free polo shirts they get from Nike.

I bet they'll have a harder time adjusting to the no earbuds policy than the collared shirt policy.
So at $20 a piece, times 5 days a week for class, is $100. Apparently you've never been poor before. $100 is a lot for a broke college kid.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So at $20 a piece, times 5 days a week for class, is $100. Apparently you've never been poor before. $100 is a lot for a broke college kid.

When I was at the U I don't think I ever had class 5 days a week.

The no earbuds is actually good. No doubt that people get use to it and will be hard to adjust. However by not using them, it puts you more in a workout frame of mind and better concentration of what you are doing.

I disagree. Work out frame of mind wise at least, because some people get pumped to the music. Now as far as communication goes no headphones is a plus. Even team building, etc. and certainly in the hallways.

I paid my way through college because my parents couldn't afford to help. Got out with no loans. I still owned several polo shirts. Crazy!

Mountain out of a mole hill. Solid culture change. Row the damn boat!

If you don't see what no earbuds does then you just don't get it. BTW - I also don't get it.

Purely speculation on my part, but I think the getting rid of earbuds is so you can hear the coaches. They'll still pipe in music, but if they want to turn it down to get people's attention, they can. With earbuds on, everyone is in their own little world (kind of takes away from socializing with each other too).

Edit: just way JTsolo say pretty much the same thing as me while I was typing.

What college kid changes his shirt every day?

I think its great. These young men are faces of the university and even a minimal uniform dress requirement is classy and sends the right message.

Regarding headphones; I do not allow my students to wear them while at work. Better communication and camaraderie without them.

I got visions of the team dressed like this...minus the hat, of course.
0331045e4d78dffa526990caba72c3fe.jpg

No hats = social etiquette.
No earbuds = allows one to be present, maintain focus, and be more aware.
Collared shirts / front row attendance = has numerous implied messages.

Whether one agrees with those tactics or not, I still believe and have great confidence, that the "WHY?" was explained to the student athletes by their coaching staff.

Probably fits into Fleck's belief of being uncommon and different but pure guess. Doesn't bother me personally as there will be a reason given for what they are being asked to do.

I paid my way through college because my parents couldn't afford to help. Got out with no loans. I still owned several polo shirts. Crazy!

I'm guessing the players don't have time to get a job like you did.

Fair enough. I seldom showered every day in college so I may not qualify.

I think I know where you sit at TCF......WHHHHHHEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I didn't have free tuition, room, and board either. I know former football and hockey players. They don't struggle to find money while in college.

They need shirts regardless of the rule, now they just need to make sure they have a few collared shirts. Not a big deal.

So is the argument here that some kids may not be able to afford collared shirts. Please.

We could start a collared shirt fund for the team.....I can start by emptying my closet full of shirts I don't wear anymore for those struggling college students.

I don't know why you assume these guys don't have a few collared shirts already.
Also, what makes you think they are all poor?
I plan to send my kids to college and if they need a collared shirt, I'll probably help buy them one or two.

Not feeling the no hats thing but the no headphones makes perfect sense. Sort of a 'when you're here you'll be present' situation. I love music but nobody needs headphones on ALL the time

Top Bottom