Pioneer Press: A peek into new Gophers coach P.J. Fleck’s jargon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Pioneer Press:

Row the boat — Fleck’s personal mantra which became Western Michigan’s calling card.

Prefontaine pace — This is based on the late Olympic distance runner Steve Prefontaine, who narrowly missed on a medal in the 1972 Summer Games in Munich. “He would go as fast as he can,” Umlor explained. “If he won, he won. If he didn’t, he didn’t. But he knew if he lost, he had given it his all. That is one of my favorites.”

Start fast, finish strong — “It’s a motto for life,” Guthrie said. “If you are in class doing homework, if you are running sprints or are in the weight room. … There is an ‘accelerate through the middle’ in there, but it sounds better as SFFS.”

Nekton — Aquatic organisms that can swim independently of a water’s current. “A great white shark is nekton … because they can go against the current and jump 50 feet out of the water, eat a seal and become parallel with the water,” Umlor declared. “The meaning is, he doesn’t let his situation dictate what he’s going to do.”

Elite — “It’s the best you can be,” Umlor said.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/27/pj-fleck-gophers-coach-jargon/

Go Gophers!!

It's fun having our own language even if it consists of one to three word sentences.

HYPRR, Howpher

per the Pioneer Press:

Row the boat — Fleck’s personal mantra which became Western Michigan’s calling card.

Prefontaine pace — This is based on the late Olympic distance runner Steve Prefontaine, who narrowly missed on a medal in the 1972 Summer Games in Munich. “He would go as fast as he can,” Umlor explained. “If he won, he won. If he didn’t, he didn’t. But he knew if he lost, he had given it his all. That is one of my favorites.”

Start fast, finish strong — “It’s a motto for life,” Guthrie said. “If you are in class doing homework, if you are running sprints or are in the weight room. … There is an ‘accelerate through the middle’ in there, but it sounds better as SFFS.”

Nekton — Aquatic organisms that can swim independently of a water’s current. “A great white shark is nekton … because they can go against the current and jump 50 feet out of the water, eat a seal and become parallel with the water,” Umlor declared. “The meaning is, he doesn’t let his situation dictate what he’s going to do.”

Elite — “It’s the best you can be,” Umlor said.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/27/pj-fleck-gophers-coach-jargon/

Go Gophers!!

A lobster is also a nekton and they walk into traps that are just sitting at the bottom of the ocean. I guess the lobster didn't let his situation dictate what he was going to do, he just made stupid decisions.

Prefonatine is maybe not the best life lesson, there are lots of fast runners out there who give their all and most of them didn't die in a drunk driving wreck.

A lobster is also a nekton and they walk into traps that are just sitting at the bottom of the ocean. I guess the lobster didn't let his situation dictate what he was going to do, he just made stupid decisions.

Prefonatine is maybe not the best life lesson, there are lots of fast runners out there who give their all and most of them didn't die in a drunk driving wreck.

Fleckophones now have a comparative linguistic analyst. Cool.

Juice box don't forget about juice box !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New Fleck wristband acronym:
HOTBATH: HAMMER ON THE BADGERS AND THE HAWKEYES (at least every other year, please)

I liked when Kill and crew used the Finnish term, Sisu, which means to have determination and grit against all odds. To never stop fighting despite everything stacked up against you. Sawvel had it carved into the sledgehammer the kids would carry onto the field.

I hope Fleck has something similar.

Fleckism. WWFS. What would Fleck say? You can do that all day you want if you bring home the titles.

All I know is He over uses the word elite.

If he wins, nobody will care about the slogans.

If he loses, nobody will care about the slogans.

Top Bottom